October 16, 200718 yr I'm Just about to sort a reseller account in the next few days and I like the look of. www.streamline.net (i've noticed a couple of people in other posts mention them). I need to sort out new web hosting for my own site: www.karlbowers.co.uk (seeing as I am running it off my free web space at freedom to surf and it doesnt look very professional, and not really helping my google rankings!!!). So I thought I would get a reseller package to allow for taking on clients websites too (I dont have any clients ready for web space yet but I thought I would set myself up for it). I like the fact its a UK based company in terms of support, and that you can start with a 10 domain package at £99 (or £79 for two years). And then add another 10 domains at a time. (I have seriously considered Heart Internets Reseller package too - but at £30 a month £360.00 per year - streamlines offer is a bit more tempting @ £99). Basically i am after some feedback as to how other people are finding streamline in terms of service/speed/relaibility etc. Any words of wisdom on the pros and cons of Reseller providers, would be greatly appreciated Thanks Karl
October 16, 200718 yr I have only had one problem with streamline in my time with them, it wasn't that my site was down or that it was slow loading. They had a problem with something and because of this problem I wasn't able to access my MySQL database, I then sent them a message and they got back to be in 3 hours and the problem was fixed within a 24 hour period. So I would highly recommend them as they do good offers that some will see as too good to be true but so far they have been true for me and their customer support system is excellent Although I have never had any experience with Heart Internets so cannot compare them
October 16, 200718 yr Author I have only had one problem with streamline in my time with them, it wasn't that my site was down or that it was slow loading. They had a problem with something and because of this problem I wasn't able to access my MySQL database, I then sent them a message and they got back to be in 3 hours and the problem was fixed within a 24 hour period. So I would highly recommend them as they do good offers that some will see as too good to be true but so far they have been true for me and their customer support system is excellent Although I have never had any experience with Heart Internets so cannot compare them thanks for feedback dizi! yeah I do like the look of them, sorry I'm gonna give some serious thought.
October 16, 200718 yr Author PM me mate, I can sort you out with a mega cheap reseller hi ben, who's it with, or do you have your own servers etc?
October 20, 200718 yr I've used streamline for a while now and the only downer I can say about them is their support tickets system isn't exactly the best in the world. They seem to gloss over key facts that you question them about. Other than that I've not had a problem. Once my SQL database went down for an entire weekend, but then I only use this for a very small forum. Still, you can read a whole lot into that. Depends if anymore occurances happen, as it could have been a one off. Andy
October 20, 200718 yr Author I've used streamline for a while now and the only downer I can say about them is their support tickets system isn't exactly the best in the world. They seem to gloss over key facts that you question them about. Other than that I've not had a problem. Once my SQL database went down for an entire weekend, but then I only use this for a very small forum. Still, you can read a whole lot into that. Depends if anymore occurances happen, as it could have been a one off. Andy Hi Andy, Thanks for the feedback. Jusy signed up to streamline, earlier on this week. (Had a few minor setbacks with domain name transfer, and email. But its all good now!). Yeah, Dizi had mentioned that her SQL database had gone down one time, but they fixed it within several hours. I know what you mean about the support ticket system, it feels like they are hiding behind it a bit, but I am used to it now. You dont have any accounts with fasthosts.co.uk do you? Appararently they have had hackers break into their servers! And they have sent out security emails asking all customers to change passwords etc. Karlos
October 20, 200718 yr Hi Karlos, I hope they work out good for you, let me know if you have any problems as it's always good to hear some other customers views. As for fasthosts, I hadn't heard anything about what you've mentioned. Still I can imagine the fall out from that sort of blunder! Well, here's keeping my fingers crossed on streamline The main problem I have with their ticketing system is that it reeks of automation, every reply starts and ends with the same thing. E.g Hi, Mr. Something, thanks for your query.... bla bla bla... Thankyou for using streamline.net. I just feel it could be a tad more personal, y'know customer-orientated Cheers, Andy
October 21, 200718 yr Author The main problem I have with their ticketing system is that it reeks of automation, every reply starts and ends with the same thing.E.g Hi, Mr. Something, thanks for your query.... bla bla bla... Thankyou for using streamline.net. I just feel it could be a tad more personal, y'know customer-orientated Cheers, Andy Yeah I got the same vibe, but everything seem pretty cool with them so far, so I'm gonna see how it goes.
November 27, 200718 yr I signed up for a 3month trial with Andrew Dollamore's Streamline.net but cancelled short of the end date. I gave Mr Dollamore (it's a one-horse outfit) my card details to pay for parking my website, prompted him several times to take payment, and at what would have been the day after the last day of the cancelled trial, Mr Dollamore took 8 times the parking value from my account - he did the same thing in 2004 to a 'johndoe - see digitalpoint.com, webhostingtalk.com or enter 'Andrew Dollamore, legal' into Google. Streamline.net / Andrew Dollamore / Dollamore ltd I found this on the net ‘VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION, if you have a .uk domain name registered with the registration agent Streamline Net Limited you are not considered the legal registrant regardless of what Streamline Net state under there terms and condition on there website. They state that they register all domain names to “Streamline Net (on behalf of a customer)” and that these domains are owned fully by the customer, however this is not the case. Nominet UK the national registry for .uk domain names has confirmed to myself that in fact the legal registrant of the domain name is Streamline Net and not there customer despite what is stated on there website. You may be asking why this is such a big deal, it is for many reasons but the most frightening for all people who have brought .uk domain names via Streamline is that if the Limited company was to collapse all the domain names would be cancelled off making them available on first come first served bases and there will be nothing you can do to stop this, also if your hosting package isn’t what you would of liked you are unable to instruct Nominet UK to move your domain name to another provider as you are not listed as the legal registrant. I advise everyone who has a domain name registered with Streamline Net to look at Nominet UK’s website under dispute resolution http://www.nominet.org.uk/DisputeRe...on/AboutTheDrs/ as this is your only hope in gaining back the ownership of your .uk domain name unless Streamline Net agree to transfer the ownership to you but at a cost of £30 plus vat per domain name a company with 13000 domain names will not be doing that option.’ Any comment?
November 27, 200718 yr I use (UK) Clook, and in the past have used and recommend SiteHQ as well. I also currently use Dreamhost and Textdrive also.
November 27, 200718 yr I use (UK) Clook, and in the past have used and recommend SiteHQ as well. I also currently use Dreamhost and Textdrive also. Another Clook very happy and contented customer here If you want to go down the road of hosting for your clients there are a few things you need to consider... 1. Support This is the no.1 issue. If there's a problem you need to know it can be resolved as soon as possible via the support system, generally we're talking minutes, not hours or days unless the problem is serious. If all your sites are down for a long period you're going to have your clients contacting you "where's my site gone" - the it's up to you to explain and resolve! 2. Reliability Are the servers up and down constantly? Are they fast? Does the host upgrade hardware and software regularly? 3. Restrictions Are there any file types or types of site that are not allowed on the Reseller account? What restrictions apply to usage of the server resources? What actions are taken by the host if one of your sites causes a problem? How are overages charged? 4. Locations If most of your sites are UK focussed then go for a UK based host for SEO purposes 5. Cost In general you get what you pay for, if it looks too good to be trued it generally is. You should buy the best services you can, going cheap may well help your pocket but if your clients sites are constantly down it's your reputation on the line. Hosting costs money to provide, if you go for a budget host that gives you 1TG disk space and "Unlimited bandwidth" your sites are going to end up on overcrowded servers. Consequently if you go for a host that limits the number of sites on a server you'll get better performance and reliability. Personally I'd look for a reseller that gives you a defined disk space and data transer allocation with additional plans that you can upgrade to at any time.
November 30, 200718 yr Streamline don't own their own hardware and are themselves resellers of Fasthosts.
November 30, 200718 yr I am going back to Host Gator, support was immense, they were very helpful, and they are cheaper than chips. I am with a reseller at the moment, and I'm not happy with them at all I was with HostGator for a few weeks, my site was fast loading, but along came this company who said they'd do a reseller unlimited for £70 a year. So I jumped ship. HostGator were even nice when I requested cancelling the package. They rang me from the us, and they had a quick chat with me, to see if everything was ok adn to confirm it. Great hosts
November 30, 200718 yr Author So far streamline have been ok for me (although the ftp part was down most of the day yesterday for maintenance - but to be fair their status system indicated this to be the case). Hey ben how is freelancing going for you?
November 30, 200718 yr So far streamline have been ok for me (although the ftp part was down most of the day yesterday for maintenance - but to be fair their status system indicated this to be the case). I felt like screaming about this yesterday, I needed to get some stuff on a site and I went there about 5 mins after they started their maintenance... just my luck
November 30, 200718 yr Author I felt like screaming about this yesterday, I needed to get some stuff on a site and I went there about 5 mins after they started their maintenance... just my luck He He I'm right with you on that one!!!! I needed to update my portfolio page with two new sites, and it was driving me mad! Its up again today though! By the way, I love the new smilies!
December 1, 200718 yr Yeah I got the same vibe, but everything seem pretty cool with them so far, so I'm gonna see how it goes. Have been using them, on the reseller package, for almost a year. Overall I would rate them quite highly BUT when you do have a problem it can take ages for them to actually fix it. For example, I can not currently access my Domain Control Panel - and have not been able to access it for 6 weeks now. The only reply I get from their Ticket Support seem to be automated and it is very frustrating that an actual person can not look into my problem and reply accordingly. As I can not access my DCP it looks like I shall have to take my business elsewhere. Annoying as up until this problem the service I received from them was good. Automated replies are not the way to treat every customer!!!!!!!!
December 1, 200718 yr They did some work during the maintenance, and have asked for everyone to change their password for the cp through the main account control panel on their site. So that might help you out.... Exact message from their service status: Due to a security update across a number of our servers, we are asking customers to reset both their FTP and Domain Control Panel passwords. Current passwords will no longer be valid and all customers will need to reset these. You will not be able to use your existing password or a previously used password for your new FTP/DCP password. FTP and Domain Control Panel passwords can be reset from the Domain Overview page of the Account Control Panel for the domain you are looking to reset these passwords for. The Domain Overview page for each domain can be accessed via the Hosting and Domains page or from Product Control on the left hand side of this control panel. Please Note: If you do experience problems resetting your FTP/DCP password, please ensure that you are using a NEW password and not one previously used on your account. In addition due to high demand, the initial password change may fail. Please continue to attempt to reset the password until this is successful. Again, our apologies.
December 1, 200718 yr Streamline don't own their own hardware and are themselves resellers of Fasthosts. Run!!! Run Now!!!!! *runs screaming off into the distance*
December 1, 200718 yr It's worth remembering that if you build UK focussed sites you're better off using a host with based servers. If you use a US host the search engines will assume your sites are US based and your listings will reflect that.
February 20, 200818 yr Has anyone ever used 3ix, they seem really cheap which is my main concern, ie you get what you pay for. But I am tempted as their cheapest reseller package is around £5 a month, virtually nothing and the package seems to offer everything I need.
February 20, 200818 yr I haven't used 3ix, but if you want cheap but excellent I would definitely recommend the host I'm using. They are called Lonex http://resellers.lonex.com/ It's a US company but they do have a UK sales division. Their average response time to a ticket is 20 minutes, the support is run by technical people (mostly Bulgarians I think but they all speak top notch English) so they tend to know what they are talking about, they are very friendly and when I first moved over they even helped me fix a load of scripts which didn't work because of different server settings. 35GB disk space for $20 or £10/11 (depending on exchange rate) a month is pretty good! I have had some experience with some really poor hosts, I found lonex online and gave them a try because of their 30 day money back guarantee meant if they were rubbish I could leave easily. I've now been with them for 2/3 years. Had a downtime issue once which they promptly fixed and also assured me they had sorted it so it couldn't happen again. As for 3ix... maybe read here? http://www.vistainter.com/reviews/0/3ix.org/ - Eris
March 30, 200818 yr I'm having major problems with streamline.net at the moment. Their smtp server has always been problematic which has reflected badly on me to a few of my customers. However I recently started using one of their SQL servers and its been a complete disaster. Down 3 times within 10 ten days, probably 4 days downtime in total. It's probably the straw that breaks the camels back. As soon as I find a better budget hosting provider I will move the domains from them.
March 30, 200818 yr Author I'm having major problems with streamline.net at the moment. Their smtp server has always been problematic which has reflected badly on me to a few of my customers. However I recently started using one of their SQL servers and its been a complete disaster. Down 3 times within 10 ten days, probably 4 days downtime in total. It's probably the straw that breaks the camels back. As soon as I find a better budget hosting provider I will move the domains from them. Hi Jamie, I understand your issues with the smtp email setup at streamline as I have recently sorted out a regsitration email form for a customer, and their website is hosting at streamline (as well as my own site!). We resolved the issue though, as their is a slight tweak you have to do to the "mail to" php command in order for an email to arrive. Is this the same problem you have had with the smtp sever? Regarding the SQL servers, that is a worry to me, as I am about to do some Wordpress testing with my streamline hosting SQL setup. But I'll see how it goes! Drop me a PM if I can help with the smtp issue? Cheers Karlos
March 30, 200818 yr The smtp problem doesn't have anything to do with mail forms although those mails might be affected. It is just that authsmtp.streamline.net is very slow sometimes. I've seen email take over 16 hours to get delivered, and it happens a bit too often for my liking. As for the SQL issue. My db is on MySQL 13 88.208.244.124 which has been terrible in the two weeks the site has started using it. You might be a bit concerned to hear that it is also a wordpress powered site with a template I amended. It has been frustrating as I think I have done quite well in working out how wordpress works and setting it up only to be let down by streamline. You might be completely fine on another one of their servers so maybe its just my bad luck. I have asked them to move the db to a more reliable server but haven't had a reply yet .. Good luck anyway Karlos.
March 30, 200818 yr Author As for the SQL issue. My db is on MySQL 13 88.208.244.124 which has been terrible in the two weeks the site has started using it. You might be a bit concerned to hear that it is also a wordpress powered site with a template I amended. It has been frustrating as I think I have done quite well in working out how wordpress works and setting it up only to be let down by streamline. I've just checked and my database is on 88.208.244.124 also! I've have only just set it up a few days back and have done nothing more with it as of yet. If possible, please let me know how you get on with the response from streamline. Hopefully you should get the problem sorted from their end. Cheers Karlos
March 30, 200818 yr phew !!.. that was a quick reply No problem. I'll let you know how the situation progresses.
March 31, 200818 yr Author phew !!.. that was a quick reply No problem. I'll let you know how the situation progresses. cheers dude!
April 1, 200818 yr This was streamline's reply. Thank you for your query We can create you anew database however we cannot move the data for you. Kind Regards, StreamlineNet At least the typo indicates it wasn't another automated response.
April 1, 200818 yr Author This was streamline's reply.At least the typo indicates it wasn't another automated response. Can you let them create a new database on another server, and then you just copy all your directory files over to that server?
April 1, 200818 yr Can you let them create a new database on another server,and then you just copy all your directory files over to that server? I could do but I'm thinking the best solution is a different hosting company. There hasn't been anymore downtime since Saturday anyway you'll be pleased to hear.
April 2, 200818 yr Author I could do but I'm thinking the best solution is a different hosting company. There hasn't been anymore downtime since Saturday anyway you'll be pleased to hear. It depends if you want to start transferring everything I suppose. Good to hear there has been no more downtime though.
April 6, 200818 yr Hiya I dont know if you are still looking for some input in this or not? I would highly recommend fasthosts. I know they are among the most expensive but i am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. It is also a good way of justifying a higher hosting fee to your clients, if you arrange that for them, by stating that you expect the best for your clients so you use the best...but it comes at a price. Just a thought for you mate. Thanks Jamie I'm Just about to sort a reseller account in the next few days and I like the look of. www.streamline.net (i've noticed a couple of people in other posts mention them). I need to sort out new web hosting for my own site: www.karlbowers.co.uk (seeing as I am running it off my free web space at freedom to surf and it doesnt look very professional, and not really helping my google rankings!!!). So I thought I would get a reseller package to allow for taking on clients websites too (I dont have any clients ready for web space yet but I thought I would set myself up for it). I like the fact its a UK based company in terms of support, and that you can start with a 10 domain package at £99 (or £79 for two years). And then add another 10 domains at a time. (I have seriously considered Heart Internets Reseller package too - but at £30 a month £360.00 per year - streamlines offer is a bit more tempting @ £99). Basically i am after some feedback as to how other people are finding streamline in terms of service/speed/relaibility etc. Any words of wisdom on the pros and cons of Reseller providers, would be greatly appreciated Thanks Karl
April 8, 200818 yr Author Hiya I dont know if you are still looking for some input in this or not? I would highly recommend fasthosts. I know they are among the most expensive but i am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. It is also a good way of justifying a higher hosting fee to your clients, if you arrange that for them, by stating that you expect the best for your clients so you use the best...but it comes at a price. Just a thought for you mate. Thanks Jamie Thanks for the input Jamie! Yes, I have set up Fast Hosts accounts for several clients, and I always recommend them. They are a bit expensive, but worth it in the long run! Karlos
April 8, 200818 yr Thanks for the input Jamie! Yes, I have set up Fast Hosts accounts for several clients, and I always recommend them. They are a bit expensive, but worth it in the long run! Karlos Hello all, I'm currently with streamline and have been having serious problems with their SQL performance (anything up to 90secs for queries and 30secs even for the simplest ones) so am looking to go elsewhere, maybe fasthosts. Does anyone have any knowledge of their SQL server loadings/performance please? It's easy to be dissatisfied with a current provider but just jump into another fire :-) because you can't gauge performanmce before you move. Tks. Barry Ennever www.ennever.com
April 28, 200818 yr Hello all, I'm currently with streamline and have been having serious problems with their SQL performance (anything up to 90secs for queries and 30secs even for the simplest ones) so am looking to go elsewhere, maybe fasthosts. Does anyone have any knowledge of their SQL server loadings/performance please? It's easy to be dissatisfied with a current provider but just jump into another fire :-) because you can't gauge performanmce before you move. Tks. Barry Ennever www.ennever.com TBH I have'nt noticed SQL queries taking that long. However I keep noticing intermittent downtime which is very irritating. I am moving a few domains away from streamline due to overall bad performance. However I am going to leave a few of my non-critical domains there for the time being.
April 29, 200818 yr Hello all, I'm currently with streamline and have been having serious problems with their SQL performance (anything up to 90secs for queries and 30secs even for the simplest ones) so am looking to go elsewhere, maybe fasthosts. Streamline host their servers at Fasthosts, though they will have their own sql configurations.
May 23, 200818 yr I'm Just about to sort a reseller account in the next few days and I like the look of. www.streamline.net (i've noticed a couple of people in other posts mention them). I need to sort out new web hosting for my own site: www.karlbowers.co.uk (seeing as I am running it off my free web space at freedom to surf and it doesnt look very professional, and not really helping my google rankings!!!). So I thought I would get a reseller package to allow for taking on clients websites too (I dont have any clients ready for web space yet but I thought I would set myself up for it). I like the fact its a UK based company in terms of support, and that you can start with a 10 domain package at £99 (or £79 for two years). And then add another 10 domains at a time. (I have seriously considered Heart Internets Reseller package too - but at £30 a month £360.00 per year - streamlines offer is a bit more tempting @ £99). Basically i am after some feedback as to how other people are finding streamline in terms of service/speed/relaibility etc. Any words of wisdom on the pros and cons of Reseller providers, would be greatly appreciated Thanks Karl I have been a customer of streamline.net for a number of years now and have had mixed performance/reliability. Basic html websites run fast and without problems but if you use php, mysql etc things can slow down. I have got used to the ticket system they operate for problems you may have and find replies are normally within hours (guaranteed within 24 hours). Databases are set up through your control panel which is good once you have got used to how it all works. For mysql administration you have access to phpmyadmin which enables you to upload/download databases. I am happy to give more info should you require it, just let me know.
Create an account or sign in to comment