Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mesa

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mesa

  1. Mesa replied to funsella's topic in Frontend
    A nested <ol> would be my guess. Might need some playing with the CSS and perhaps a :before to add the . (point)
  2. I'd call them yellow, dirty yellow. Hot chick though
  3. Quick initial impressions: Nice. A little flat in colour, perhaps a very subtle gradient in the grey. I realise this is only a mock but as I'm a pixel obsessive (even in PS) I can't help but noticing a lot of inconsistencies with your spacing. Your heading isn't middle aligned and the spacing above and below your headings are inconsistent. I also feel that the space between each section needs to be larger to be more in keeping with the size/spacing ratio seen throughout the site elsewhere. Not a lot of content to critique on...and content (IMO) is the cornerstone of a good site. I like minimal sites but they look, well...crap, when there's no content showcasing subtle design. Good foundation.
  4. Old post but I'll add my comment for future readers: I've just spent some months on a Wordpress and e-commerce (Get Shopped/Instinct/WPSC) site and it's not great. You need to edit a lot of the core code unless you like tables everywhere. The search (which you have to pay for as part of the "Gold plug-in") only searches the store (this might be sorted soon as WPSC 3.8 uses a different database structure) and you have to do a lot of playing around with their core code (making upgrading a PITA). Also one word or WARNING: if you want a store that uses variations STAY AWAY. If you have more than 2 variations (3+) then the store crumbles to a crashing halt as is has to calculate every single possible combination. I've not yet tried it on a dedicated server but the way they sort their options is a pile of poopie. Their forums have a lot of people with the same problem.
  5. Always declare the content type so the browser knows what character set to use to render the site. I use other meta tags, I believe it's still good practice to and until it's more common not to, I'll continue to. W3C certs, not worth it IMO - clients won't care and they're pretty useless.
  6. I woke up this morning, turned my computer on and got on with my website work...then thought to myself, wouldn't it be nice to have some regular money instead of competing with 5$ p/h bastards who don't even care.
  7. Me too, which means other people will. And expensive (compared to free)...there's no reason why you can't use rented address I've rented several properties and they're all domestic and never had an issue.
  8. I do, and always have with no bother. If you read your contract it may be more about advertising your business from the property. No billboards or fliers in the windows, running a shop etc. Phone the landlord, or better yet send a physical letter, asking permission. Explain it will just be a registered address and explain what that involves. I never have clients around (that's another issue for insurance as well) and merely work from home.
  9. Small Claims Court
  10. Mesa replied to pbul2004's topic in Frontend
    Owch. The good news is you'll only ever make that mistake once. The bad news is it looks like you're stuffed. Backup all the time and backup whole sites periodically, and store safe (not just on one hard drive) Is there a chance the file is open in your editor? Does your host server make available their backups? Could you pull the cached version off Google and rebuild it, might save some time.
  11. Mesa replied to Mesa's topic in Frontend
    Cheers for the input. On reflection it looks like a better idea to link each sheet separately in the head. This also makes it easy to link to a specific ie sheet if needed. I guess with todays broadband speeds its not a massive performance issue, but still good practice. How does everyone else currently do it?
  12. Mesa replied to Mesa's topic in Frontend
    Thanks for the reply. I link in the header to a style sheet - where in that style sheet I import all other style sheets. So in the header I use: <link rel="stylesheet" href="import.css" type="text/css" media="screen"> Then in that style sheet use: @import "css/resets.css"; @import "css/fonts.css"; @import "css/globalClasses.css"; @import "css/mainStyle.css"; ^ for example
  13. Mesa posted a topic in Frontend
    Hi guys, I've always used an import style sheet but I've just noticed it's not the best practice and can significantly slow site load. My question is, Previously in the header I link to one style sheet which uses @import a lot (because I often have several style sheets). Would it still be better to link all style sheets in the header? I guess it goes against what I've learnt about JavaScript files and trying to keep them to a minimum. Cheers, Rob
  14. Are you using this in the loop? (I'm guessing you are as it worked previously) What happens if you remove the parameters and test it then?
  15. Although I use Wordpress a lot I always try to avoid using plug-ins where possible. I use WP for convenience (and I can't code my own CMS). I'd recommend adding the jQuery myself and only revert to a plug-in if stuck.
  16. Not sure myself, but when I've used it they show fine in mobile browsers. Perhaps using some jQuery selectors you can do it through JavaScript if necessary?
  17. I agree, many times you don't need to wrap everything in a div. Even if you do often you can have several elements in that same div (headers for example, that contain logos, contact info, search etc). I'm a big fan of keeping it simple and letting the code breathe.
  18. Mesa replied to mrchristoph's topic in Frontend
    I've started adding a little CSS3 to my latest projects. But not at the cost of usability. I always also use jQuery as I mainly use basic stuff like colour transitions and animations. Covering both bases is a good way to develop your skills of CSS3 (and JavaScript) whilst not sacrificing usability.
  19. ^^ Not that we should advocate the use of divs for navigation
  20. I've only ever used jQuery but find it does more than enough for my purposes. In fact CSS3 will make a lot of my jQuery redundant.
  21. Mesa replied to ashley_90's topic in Frontend
    PHP include sounds the simplest solution to me, I use them all the time. I'm no developer though.
  22. I only use it when I have to when using jQuery (JavaScript). Even then I make sure the site works just as well without and follows graceful degradation.
  23. jQuery Load Content - nice and easy capable of some powerful and impressive (add animations etc) results. Documentation: http://api.jquery.com/category/ajax/ Just about the best demo and tut: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/javascript-ajax/how-to-load-in-and-animate-content-with-jquery/

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.