Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

danishJafri

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by danishJafri

  1. Hi, I found first time load had some delay on a fast network. There are a few 403 errors if you want to check those. Over all seems great. I personally don't read a lot of text from websites with a lot of graphics in the background because I tend to spend very little time making a decision whether the website has the information I need or not. Kind regards, Danish
  2. Hi, I think it is a good idea. Everything has a structure, a method. Education has a degree which is quite common. Of course it is up to you how you do it. I study with the Open University. Mostly I have to do things independently. I get tutor feedback often and there are lectures approximately once a month per module. I think it is different to other qualifications because we develop strong research skills and we do have to stick to a framework. My OU studies require coding in XHTML. Currently I am working on XSLT as part of my modules. If you are going towards a distance learning degree, do something that you’ll be highly motivated to do. Good luck.
  3. Hi, I hope you are doing well. I agree perhaps you should share the link but thats up to you. Look, I made a website and I showed it at work. It was a static page and for a newbie it was ok, just ok. Everybody laughed but I thought soon once my skills develop I don't think it will be that funny thought I did post it here under the title funny, it was a test page to see how FTP transfer works. People will always be critical. You were bound to specifications and corporate politics. I don't even know why you are taking it upon yourself entirely. Secondly, not everybody thinks the same way. They are entitied to their opinions but that does not mean they are correct with their views. You should never doubt your skills. You did what the client wanted. You were chosen for a specific reason. Don't give up what you like just because few people disagree.
  4. danishJafri posted a topic in General Chat
    Hey everyone, Well I thought it was about time we all had a laugh at something. So I started my course on the 10th Oct this year. I been doing a lot of work, two jobs, 120 credits etc. Anyhow I managed to experiment and made a web page just for test. I actually made my friend a page before I started the course using google's template site. Here it is: https://sites.google.com/site/bulrecovery/home So I decided to buy a domain name that I will in time make into a interactive website as I will go on to advance my skills and learn PHP, JavaScript etc. Meanswhile using that domain name I created my first page which is HTML strict. Though I made a mistake and it has 1 error on the CSS validation simply because of the code for black colour border. Anyhow at work we had a good laugh as it looks like something from the 1980s so I thought I'd share the smile http://weavecodes.com/ Good to be part of something.
  5. Hi, I agree with teodora as well. There are also many legal issues that don't apply across borders. I would say though that I am quite sorry for what happened to you but at least everything seems to be well now.
  6. Hi, I also think in your research you should consider what machines are actually meeting the software package requirements. I know for Visual Studio 2008/2010 the minimum is 1.6 GHz though that is not your topic but it does have ASP.NET. So far I have just done CSS and HTML so I just need a simple machine but soon I will be covering PHP, JavaScript and MySQL and for those I think there might be some sort of spec requirement. Not too sure though because I haven't looked that far ahead. Throzen bought up a valid point because the processor makes a huge difference.
  7. Hi, I use MacBook Air to practice web development but I have to use Windows 8.1 in Virtual Box as I am learning Visual Basic as well. I would love to go on and buy MacBook Pro but I believe my next laptop will be a Windows. Macs are good with Dual and Triple boots but since my MacBook Air is dying on me and the repair is costing me same as a Windows laptop I think I'd go with the cheapest option. I wonder if someone uses Alienware here.
  8. Hi, I agree with dap. If you put the code then it is more undertandable. Further, if you cannot test the code yourself on many versions of IE then there are others who can do that for you if they like and give you advice that could enhance your web skills. Nice website by the way.
  9. Hi, Agreed with mantis. A lot of employers look for something special that stands you out from the crowd. I am like you a mature learner 27 and going into web development. If you are passionate and motivated you will be successful sooner or later. Monster, jobserve, jobs.ac.uk, reed, Hays, jobcentreplus etc are the places I regularly check. I like reed simply because the website has a counter that tells you how many people have applied for certain roles. Good luck.
  10. Hey congrats!! I am glad you got there in the end. Most of all, they actually remembered you and realised you were the best person for the job. Must be an excellent company to work for . P.S I hope that guy's hand is ok Best of luck!
  11. Hi and welcome abroad
  12. Hi, Its a very good design. I have never seen the feature where the banner is following the mouse on websites other than gaming. Looks cutting edge
  13. Hi, I agree with BlueDreamer, there are also further websites you can look at such as Legislation.gov.uk and casecheck.co.uk. If you cannot find anyone being sued within UK case law, remember theres always that someone the first time. The near copy can create problems as well such as Apple suing Samsung. Of course things can get very complex. In terms of using a software which is legal to use then you have the right to use the software but not to recreate work of others.
  14. Hi Throzen, You said you have applied for a lot of jobs but how have you been doing job hunting? What engines are you using to land jobs etc? Market is tough out there I totally agree but there are many ways you can enter the job market. Have you got your CV checked? I normally find monster website is quite good for jobs and reed is quite reliable. I see that you have a BA, its the perfect time to use milkround and other websites to try to land an internship etc. Might be you would have to travel of shift away for a year or two but you need the job and the experience. You have to sit and reflect on everything. Its like I got a SIA badge and started doing Security work so that I can do a distance learning degree. This helps me as I can keep the bills paying while studying full time. Job market is not so tough if you are searching nationally. Next month I intend to sit down and apply for every Internship I see anywhere and simply because I am doing a foundation degree and its my second year then I can also try and apply for graduate roles without honours degree. You have to stay positive and after you been to an interview, call them and ask them if you had been unsuccessful. By law they have to give you a feedback. You have an excellent website, truly talented. Good luck Good luck
  15. Hi there, The best resource I have come across so far is w3schools.com. Personally I am going through the Open University route but thats because I want to land a proper job and I am also studying Visual Basic and Project Management along with Web Development. These languages are the ones you need. You said something about people offering things for free. Well Linux is free, specially Ubuntu yet people still pay for Microsoft, Mac OS X. Prime Mark is cheap yet people still go to Marks and Spencer. I totally agree with 4li4s and BlueDreamer. And nothing is difficult to learn. If someone can invent it then someone can learn it. Actually I will make that my signature . Good luck and happy learning.
  16. Hi, You know there is another way to do this though its not most accurate. Just put up a survey. I mean there will be people who will give you a bit of information and perhaps that will help you a lot more.
  17. Hi there, Welcome to the forum. I hope you this forum useful
  18. Hi, Welcome to the forum
  19. Hi, I agree with the posts here. I have taken a route via The Open University, though reviews of web development modules state that students should have good knowledge of JavaScript and PHP. I have just taken that route so that I can grasp core concepts and ensure I learn the best practices. I am just using the module to build a portfolio, a simple website followed by a complicated project and then a project of Olympics 2012 project. The only benefit of this is that I would be learning best practices though there are websites that do tend to teach a lot of web designing pretty much free along with tutorials of web development on youtube which are in various languages to enhance learning. Everything you need is given in Yakindo's post and of others. Good luck and happy learning
  20. danishJafri replied to Sahal's topic in General Chat
    Hi, I am currently using a Macbook Air and to practice coding on Visual Basic, I use Virtual Box with a guest OS of Windows 8. I must admit that there are certain significant differences in hardware. My Macbook Air is nearly two years old and it has started to suffer battery problems and screen problems (much later than a normal PC for me). With the amount of expenditure involved in a Macbook, I can buy AlienWare and perhaps have lasting results. I am going to switch from Macbook to a PC. My view is quite simple. The way I see it, Macbook is like new car. Somethings you can't play around with while PC is like an old Nissan Micra. You can take parts apart and put them back and make it work. Everything is significantly cheaper. Some of the tutorial I have seen on youtube explain the complexity in replacing Mac components and I just won't want to risk it considering the amount of money that goes in purchasing a Mac. I must say though that my Mac has been extremely reliable and anyone who see it are surprised because Macbook Air are extremely thin therefore quite flashy to have. My Macbook is on since the time I wake up till I sleep. I am always studying, researching, playing games and in two years, I have never been let down by my Mac. The battery problem is simply request for service but I see the battery failing in near future.
  21. Hi Karolis, Glad to know you are a problem solver. I think you will find this forum useful
  22. Hi, I am glad you were able to recover your data. I hope that other people who are in the same situation have done the same. I agree with the fact that you can never have too many back ups.
  23. Thank you everyone for welcoming me . I really enjoy studying with the Open University as it is like a second chance for many mature students. Hopefully I will start to contribute soon as I have started self studying .
  24. Hi Mike, Welcome to the forum and I hope you will get any help you require
  25. Hello to all, I hope everyone is well My name is Danish and I am a mature IT student at the Open University. After just celebrating my 27th birthday, I have decided to pursue Web Development, Visual Basic.NET and Project Management for my second year of studies and I am hoping that soon I will become a contributing member of this forum.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.