Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

More Unemployment Grumbling...

Featured Replies

Hi duddeesss, I apologise in advance for the whiny nature of this post but I'm currently rather pissed off.

 

So, I've been applying for web developer/designer jobs non-stop for four months as some people here know. I've applied for a few jobs that are slightly out of my reach (for example: PHP experience needed) with fingers crossed that something may become of them, but mostly I've applied for jobs that are definitely within my skill set. We're talking basic front-end developer and junior developer/designer roles with low-end salaries, I haven't been unrealistic and gone for jobs out of my reach with skills, experience and salary.

 

I've only had one interview out of around 20 - 30 jobs I've applied for and I never heard anything whatsoever regarding 90% of those vacancies. I've been in-touch with recruitment agencies recently whom have been advertising junior web developer roles and they come back with the same response I got a few months ago: you don't have enough commercial experience.

 

These are junior roles. If I've understood these right, they're for people looking for their first web roles, have good experience with the relevant languages/skills and a decent portfolio to boot. That's me in a nutshell, yet apparently even junior roles require experience from similar (or better?) job roles. How does that even work? How can these roles still be classed as junior roles if worthy candidates need past job experience?

 

What's more annoying is that, a fair amount of these vacancies have a tiny number of applications, which boosts my chances right? Less competition and whatnot. Well apparently not - the companies in question all put the vacancies on hold, sweeping my candidacy to the side, hoping better applicants come along presumably with commercial experience (you know, not 'junior' developers...). So it's not like the competition is fierce where I live - we're talking 2/3 applications usually, 5/6 at most.

 

I could spruce up my portfolio and do loads more freelance work, but I still wouldn't have past job experience. So, my question is simple: how the hell do I get a job? Anybody in web developer/designer jobs got any advice?

 

Thanks guys, I'm really annoyed, hope you can sympathise. -_-

It's a tough field to get in, I spent about 4 months ish to land my current job, I had luck with that but put in loads of hours of homework to ensure I was as best prepared as possible.

 

A book that really helped me prepare for my interview and improve my CV called: Get the job you really want, authored by James Caan.

 

I also learnt a fair bit from the business section on http://www.teamtreehouse.com/ that have plenty of helpful video casts detailing how to boost your chances of employment.

 

In the meantime just keep on improving your skills, if you're not already start posting up code and projects to github - that also helped me land my job.

 

If you keep working to your maximum ability you will eventually find an entry, it will just be a matter of time and persistence.

I know it must be really frustrating. Its so competitive at the moment.

 

Seeing as you have been out of work for 4 months, is it worth asking a decent design agency if you can work for them for free for say a month or until you get yourself into a better situation. It may not be possible (maybe you could do it part time), but it would get your experience up a bit, improve your portfolio and you may learn something. It would show the company that you are willing to work for it and show that you have initiative. You never know at the end of the month you might get a job offer from them as they may like you.

 

I know this is maybe not what you had in mind, but it maybe better than sitting around for a few more months just wasting time.

 

In this situation I would write letters and send them off to the design agencies you would like to work for and not just ones that offer jobs.

 

Best of luck!

Edited by neil0wen

You know there is also no law against turning up at their offices and just asking them in person. They may find it more difficult to turn you down.

It's a tough market, for all you know you could be up against some really strong contenders.

 

For example, both Dan Eden and Tom Motto are my age and build amazing projects. They have been hired by top companies too. There's something to be said about the work in their portfolios though, there's not much of it, just a few very strong projects.

 

I think a bit of networking helps boost your chances too. When I can, I always speak to devs on Twitter, or attend meet-ups to get to know the local community. Now that I know the people in agencies quite well (we go for drinks every few weeks), it's boosted my chances of landing a job with them massively.

 

Edit: I joined as a junior developer when I was 17, I'm 22 now and I dropped the junior title a while back. I know how hard it can be.

Edited by Jack

The job market has been tough going for some time and the same things and things like getting few interviews and "lack of experience" comments applies to everyone, not just web development jobs.

 

If you're desparate for a job then you really need to look elsewhere to tide you over, even if it's shelf stacking at Tescos! Times are still hard and having any job is more important than a specific job. Try broadening your horizons in your job search to include companies that do "related" activities such as marketing, or companies that have web departments. Once you get a foot in the door you can then apply for any internal web related jobs that come up.

Edited by BlueDreamer

I've been very lucky when it came to jobs only applied for 4 web development jobs got interviews for all of them and ended up with two offers. The only thing I can advise is have a strong portfolio and put a few if your projects in your cv.

  • Author

Lots of feedback, awesome thanks guys. I'll start replying to everyone individually...

 

 

In the meantime just keep on improving your skills, if you're not already start posting up code and projects to github - that also helped me land my job.

 

Well that's all I can do really. I spend my days tweaking my website, publishing tutorials and blog entries about web design, developing projects and freelance work. I've never really looked at Github, but I've got the time to do so right? (sigh!). I'm not a huge fan of reading haha, but I'll take a look at those book suggestions, thanks.

 

 

Seeing as you have been out of work for 4 months, is it worth asking a decent design agency if you can work for them for free for say a month or until you get yourself into a better situation. It may not be possible (maybe you could do it part time), but it would get your experience up a bit, improve your portfolio and you may learn something. It would show the company that you are willing to work for it and show that you have initiative. You never know at the end of the month you might get a job offer from them as they may like you.

 

I have considered attempting to get some unpaid work just to mark my territory in a company as it were, but I've chosen to increase my portfolio so far instead (I know it doesn't have to be one or the other, but I'm also working part-time which makes it difficult to multiply my options). I'll see what I can do though.

 

 

I think a bit of networking helps boost your chances too. When I can, I always speak to devs on Twitter, or attend meet-ups to get to know the local community. Now that I know the people in agencies quite well (we go for drinks every few weeks), it's boosted my chances of landing a job with them massively.

 

Edit: I joined as a junior developer when I was 17, I'm 22 now and I dropped the junior title a while back. I know how hard it can be.

 

Yeah, I'm trying to become more socially active on Twitter within the vast web design community, though I guess I should be focussing on my local community instead of Twitter'ing to people in America, ha. I'm not surprised it took several years to break free from the "Junior" title, and I wouldn't mind that wait if I could just get the job in the first place. I respect the uphill climb from entering a company to being recognised as a performance developer with excellent skills to be taken seriously.

 

 

If you're desparate for a job then you really need to look elsewhere to tide you over, even if it's shelf stacking at Tescos! Times are still hard and having any job is more important than a specific job. Try broadening your horizons in your job search to include companies that do "related" activities such as marketing, or companies that have web departments. Once you get a foot in the door you can then apply for any internal web related jobs that come up.


I do currently work at Tesco actually haha :p it's not that I'm in an emotional or financial rut to the point where I'm 100% desperate, I just need to get on the first step of that damn ladder and it's proving very hard.

 

 

I've been very lucky when it came to jobs only applied for 4 web development jobs got interviews for all of them and ended up with two offers. The only thing I can advise is have a strong portfolio and put a few if your projects in your cv.

 

How many projects and portfolio examples did you have during this application phase you went through? My portfolio is admittedly quite limited but I have ambitious plans to expand it. I live not far from Cambridge, I should come over since luck with job hunting seems to be oozing there. :p

 

I'm just trying to work out what I can do. I can't get job experience, that's just fact, until I get a job (it's a vicious cycle), and I'm constantly broadening my skills, becoming my embedded in the web design community via Twitter, updating my site and working on projects. The only other solution would be to find unpaid work in a company, sounds tasty!

I actually don't think it's down to how many pieces you have, more how good they are. Have you looked at narrowing down exactly what you do? I think the biggest mistake I made was trying to be great at everything - Design, front end coding, back end coding.

 

I don't do any design work or back end coding in my current role, an appreciation for the other roles of the process are obviously handy but I think it's a good idea to narrow down your area of expertise if you haven't already.

 

I actually applied for a web design position at my current place, and I didn't get it because by designs were not to the standard they like to produce, luckily they also wanted a front end developer and my coding skills are much better than my (apparent now) almost lack of design skills.

 

If you'd like I'd be happy to take a quick look at your cv, and you could check out mine see if that can help you in any way :)

How many projects and portfolio examples did you have during this application phase you went through? My portfolio is admittedly quite limited but I have ambitious plans to expand it. I live not far from Cambridge, I should come over since luck with job hunting seems to be oozing there. :p

I only had about 5 or 6 projects ranging from Text based gaming to custom built forums, i made a variety of projects each different from the last to show them that i was not a one trick pony.

 

I didn't apply for jobs within Cambridge as i didn't want to commute very far plus there is more competition, two of the jobs were in a local town (st neots (the later one being the job im in now)) the other two were small villages (now where i would expect a web design business :p)

  • Author

I actually don't think it's down to how many pieces you have, more how good they are. Have you looked at narrowing down exactly what you do? I think the biggest mistake I made was trying to be great at everything - Design, front end coding, back end coding.

 

I don't do any design work or back end coding in my current role, an appreciation for the other roles of the process are obviously handy but I think it's a good idea to narrow down your area of expertise if you haven't already.

 

I actually applied for a web design position at my current place, and I didn't get it because by designs were not to the standard they like to produce, luckily they also wanted a front end developer and my coding skills are much better than my (apparent now) almost lack of design skills.

 

If you'd like I'd be happy to take a quick look at your cv, and you could check out mine see if that can help you in any way :)

 

I think it's not a bad idea to focus entirely on one specific skill (design, front-end development etc), but at the same time I think it's crucial to display a broad skill set, especially given that vacancies ask for basic-to-advanced design skills with front-end developer jobs (which I'm targeting). Thanks for that offer, I'll bear it in mind!

 

 

I only had about 5 or 6 projects ranging from Text based gaming to custom built forums, i made a variety of projects each different from the last to show them that i was not a one trick pony.

 

I was thinking about starting a large project (like, for example, a social network) just to show to employers as evidence of ongoing practice, do you think that's a good idea?

I was thinking about starting a large project (like, for example, a social network) just to show to employers as evidence of ongoing practice, do you think that's a good idea?

If you have time, yes. The more you can show your future employer the better maybe make it open source so they can check it out before employing you
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Throzen,

 

You said you have applied for a lot of jobs but how have you been doing job hunting? What engines are you using to land jobs etc? Market is tough out there I totally agree but there are many ways you can enter the job market. Have you got your CV checked? I normally find monster website is quite good for jobs and reed is quite reliable. I see that you have a BA, its the perfect time to use milkround and other websites to try to land an internship etc. Might be you would have to travel of shift away for a year or two but you need the job and the experience. You have to sit and reflect on everything. Its like I got a SIA badge and started doing Security work so that I can do a distance learning degree. This helps me as I can keep the bills paying while studying full time. Job market is not so tough if you are searching nationally. Next month I intend to sit down and apply for every Internship I see anywhere and simply because I am doing a foundation degree and its my second year then I can also try and apply for graduate roles without honours degree. You have to stay positive and after you been to an interview, call them and ask them if you had been unsuccessful. By law they have to give you a feedback. You have an excellent website, truly talented.

 

Good luck

 

Good luck

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I found this while searching for something else.

 

Ermm... this is the problem with bringing up old topics you see. I have a job now. This topic is redundant. And thanks for reviewing my unfinished website without me asking.

 

A mod can lock this, thanks...

  • Author

don't be so arrogant, and don't delude yourself into thinking you're better than you actually are. I can tell from you website that you're not that experienced, but then, that's my experience showing :-)

 

Well if that isn't hypocrisy I don't know what is! Please stop bumping an old topic. :unsure:

  • Author

Sigh. I just asked you to stop bumping up an old topic and not to review my unfinished site.

Since then, you've called me an arrogant prick, deluded, inexperienced, only been a developer for 5 minutes, have low ability, don't have experience or knowledge in my field and, supposedly, suggest my tutorials suck. All for what?

 

You brought up an old topic and attempted to school me.

I didn't asked to be schooled.

I didn't ask for tips on my site.

I didn't ask for a review of my tutorials.

I did in fact ask for advice on getting a job in my original post. But I have a job right now. I had one a while back. But you foolishly chose to bump this topic. That's on you.

 

I'm asking you politely to stop bumping old topics, it's common forum policy, and stop attacking me, my site and my tutorials.

 

Just leave me alone, alright?

 

And to answer your question, calling me arrogant and then in the same sentence revealing how wonderfully experienced you are was hypocritical. Hope that clears things up.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.