Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ripping a template? legal?

Featured Replies

Hello all,

I was always wondering if ripping a template is legal. I have noticed that there are many softwares available which you can use to clone a website.

Is using such softwares legal at all? I see many websites offering templates like templatemonster and many others and I was wondering if you have come across any law suit related to ripping or cloning a template from such template providers?

 

I have been searching some UK forums but cannot find anything related to people being sued by template providers in the UK.

 

I would like to add that I am not planning on using one but since I am trying to become a web designer freelancer I think any information will be valuable.

 

Thank you for your replies

Of course it is illegal. You are stealing copyrighted work. You can use copyrighted work by paying for the relevant license.

 

You're describing an act of piracy.

Edited by andy9l

  • Author

thanks for your reply.

 

I wonder why there is nothing to find about this on the internet, I mean about ripping and website cloning. I mean court cases related to website ripping or warning letters.

I am writing an article about this and would like to have detailed information.

 

thanks

Hi,

I agree with BlueDreamer, there are also further websites you can look at such as Legislation.gov.uk and casecheck.co.uk. If you cannot find anyone being sued within UK case law, remember theres always that someone the first time. The near copy can create problems as well such as Apple suing Samsung. Of course things can get very complex. In terms of using a software which is legal to use then you have the right to use the software but not to recreate work of others.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.