Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Need advice about choosing web desing as my proffesion

Featured Replies

I have been to college in the past to and done courses in html, css, asp.net, sql, photoshop, illustrator and flash. But its been so long since ive done anything i cant remember much. Im thinking about picking it up again and seriousy trying to make it my proffesion but i have some questions which i need some good truthfull advice on.

 

1: Is web design worth learning. I mean all the time i see ads about websites where people can create there websites for free, so are people still paying web designers to do the job?

I should state that im not interested in working for someone but i would like to freelance and work by myself. I would like to work from home.

 

2: What languages would i need to learn to be an efficient all round website developer?

 

3: do you think it will be possible to do this fully by self study useing online resources and training videos?

 

These are my biggest querys, thank you for taking a look.

It always 'depends' on your circumstances. Web design and development is a profession. It's not just about being good coding, you need to know how to run a business (if freelance), how to deal with clients, professionalism, etc.. There's quite the pattern with people with excellent skills but have as much people skills as a dog turd.

 

I'd love to be a rock star, but despite having a guitar and playing the bass in the past, I'm rubbish, don't have stage presence, etc.. etc... but it seems it's everyone's dream since they were a fetus; hence things like the X Factor. The same with web design - many people see it as a way out of the 9-5 and all want to do it despite lacking basic skills. As it's so highly populated, you need to be able to stand out to get noticed.

 

1) It's worth learning if it's your profession and you want to be good at it. Just because people have access to software, doesn't mean they are competent. How many people do you know who have Photoshop? You'd be surprised how many households have the Adobe Creative Suite - regardless of their profession. Have you seen their work though? Exactly.

 

Web design is a profession - a skillset. You can buy all the necessary equipment to build your own house significantly cheaper than going to a company. However, you are most likely to get someone to do design and build it for you as that's their expertise, you want it done properly, yada yada yada. I think you get the analogy.

 

2) Basic would be HTML, CSS as a minimum. Javascript would be next, arguably followed by PHP. It depends on the path you want to follow. If you're freelance, being an all rounder is a given, but if you're going Han Solo, you won't have the time to offer your skills in all these areas and would probably outsource. Knowing at least one or two CMS' would be to your benefit, but the majority are PHP based, or PHP conventions.

 

3) A lot of people on here are self taught. Some of the best tutorials are actually free but learning through the community can fast track your studies. That's not to say a formal education is redundant, but to answer your question, you can do it through self study.

^ what he said :)

 

 

1: Is web design worth learning. I mean all the time i see ads about websites where people can create there websites for free, so are people still paying web designers to do the job? I should state that im not interested in working for someone but i would like to freelance and work by myself. I would like to work from home.

Yes it's worth learning but it really depends what you want to aim for. Free website builders aren't a problem, a) those users probably don't need professional services anyway, or B) when they find out how "hard" it can be to do some things they will turn to professional help. There is a constant stream of customers who find free site builders can't do what they want.

 

I would recommend getting as much experience working for someone before you think about freelancing to pick up key business skills, which will be of great help whne you go solo (things like time management, dealing with customers, planning etc).

 

 

2: What languages would i need to learn to be an efficient all round website developer?

 

HTML and CSS till you can write them without thinking

Basic javascript, at least working with things like Jquery

 

After that you could go down the programming route (PHP, JSP, ASP, databases etc) or branch out into UI/UX/Usability/Accessibility.

 

3: do you think it will be possible to do this fully by self study useing online resources and training videos?

 

Broadly yes, if you put the time and practice practice practice then web development can be self taught quite successfully.

  • Author

Thank you soo much for taking the time to answer me. I really do want to make this my profession and be as good as i can be. when i studied WD before i did get quite good, html and css i soaked up very quickly so i think this will come back to me in no time. I also wasnt too bad with asp.net although it took me a while. Sql is what stumped me, i studied for along time and i never really finished the subject. But now i am definatly more determined to succeed hopefully i will do Much better.

 

So, am i right in prioritising my studies the following way:

 

HTML5 & css

Javasript

php

...

 

Or after html&css should i study the broader subject on OOP or would it be better for me just to dive into JS&PHP.. I should state I am by no means a cpmputer wiz and it can take me a while to grasp the more complicated subjects but i am also not stupid, just a regular guy trying to make my way in this computer age. so tell me straight if you think some subjects would be just too dificult to teach myself..

 

Also any links to good training sites / videos / blogs / anything thay will help me study would be very much appreciated. ( I dont do too well trying to learn just from books, i can get easily bored and lose interest expecially when the books are like 1000 pages, im much better with videos and even better hands on)

 

 

Again thank very much, Jay.

Hi there,

 

The best resource I have come across so far is w3schools.com. Personally I am going through the Open University route but thats because I want to land a proper job and I am also studying Visual Basic and Project Management along with Web Development. These languages are the ones you need. You said something about people offering things for free. Well Linux is free, specially Ubuntu yet people still pay for Microsoft, Mac OS X. Prime Mark is cheap yet people still go to Marks and Spencer. I totally agree with 4li4s and BlueDreamer. And nothing is difficult to learn. If someone can invent it then someone can learn it. Actually I will make that my signature :).

 

Good luck and happy learning.

Hi Jay,

 

If you want to really dig into CSS I would highly recommend this site:

 

http://css-tricks.com

 

Chris Coyier is a recognised authority on CSS who speaks at conferences all over the place. His site is full of useful stuff including some very informative screencasts.

 

Also, I'm sure you know this anyway but there is really no better way to learn about web design/development than by getting your hands dirty with some real life projects. I'll bet you know a ton of people who could really use a website for their band, church, community organisation, shop etc.

  • 2 months later...

Hello guys,

 

Been reading up on various threads like this and they're very helpful. I'm also very keen to get into web development and the route I am planning to go down to begin with is learning:

 

  • HTML5
  • CSS3
  • Java Script
  • I'm also planning on learning PHP afterwards

 

I have a full time job so will be doing this in my spare time, with a view to then getting experience via interning or working for free and going from there.

For the guys that know coding, did you learn at home yourself or join a class of some sort? I have done a previous evening class and think i do better in those surroundings. But finding a suitable one is a lot harder then working from home.

 

Thanks for your help in advance

Freddie

  • 3 weeks later...

Very true citypaul. google w3fools for those that are still convinced w3 schools is a good resource.

 

I signed upto http://teamtreehouse.com/ in June, recommended by a friend and it has served me incredibly well. If you want to accelerate your learning then a paid for resource is well worth the investment - Afterall the skills gained could land you your dream job as it did me.

 

As mentioned above Chris Coyier's CSS Tricks is a goldmine of information. Codeacademy is good for an absolute beginner but you will have to go far beyond what the tutorials there offer in order to get a job in the industry / be a successful freelancer.

 

Good luck!

I find blogs are a great resource for learning all things web, for instance Shay Howe, who is a freelance web designer and developer at shayhowe.com

 

Most of the web guru's who's names are plastered everywhere you look have similar blogs, google MVC scaffolding and there will be one of the biggest names in php development come up almost every time!

 

While on the subject, if anybody has links for other good blogs on anything web, please do tell!

This is sort of a lazy answer but I would recommend designing and building a site (for yourself, your sister, your dog, your uncle..).

Just google everything you need to know but don't and little by little you'll have found your favourite resources.

 

Also, and I hope this doesn't sound mean, you will have to work on your spelling. This is a profession where you are judged on attention to detail and spelling mistakes can look really bad. There is nothing wrong with using a spell-checker and a dictionary many of us aren't naturally good spellers.

  • 3 weeks later...

I've been at this a lot since my last post and it's going well!

 

I started off with Codeacademy which was good as you get to actively work on what you're learning. I've now started using Treehouse which id say has been great as well. It's nice to see it all explained to you on their videos which helps a lot, id definitely recommend both.

 

I'd also recommend building your own sites as mantis just said; I've been doing this a lot and it really is all about learning by doing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.