Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Curvball

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Curvball

  1. Not sure if anybody is aware of this. Adobe recently (actually a while back, I've been too lazy to post it...) have ventured into the webapp game with their Photoshop Express. Check it out here: https://www.photoshop.com/express/ And there's this too, Splashup: http://www.splashup.com/ Will all design work move off our desktops?
  2. Hi all, I've been trying to get different background images/colours etc showing up for various pages I've got on my new portfolio/blog site. See Evan Eckards site to see what I mean: http://www.evaneckard.com I'm using wordpress as the CMS behind the whole thing. I have been searching high and low on google and through the wordpress forums and I can't find a solution (I did find one post but the person just said, "I've found a more elegant solution to this" and that is all he said...). Basically what is needed is for PHP to find the page ID and then output it into the body tag. Now the code that was suggested is as follows: <?php if (is_page()){ ?> <body class="page-<?php the_ID(); ?>"> <?php }else{?> <body> <?php } ?> Now if I use the above code, it does work but outputs the body tag as <body.page-> with no ID. Further research has shown me that the above code is actually meant to work within the 'loop' of wordpress. Can anybody offer a solution to this or point me in the right direction?
  3. Thanks for all the replies everybody. I like the idea of me drawing up the contract, I like that a lot. A friend of mine went over the site (he has some fairly good SEO experience) and he thinks the site is pretty well done from a SEO point of view. I'm still not 100% sure what to do - I'm always sceptical when it comes to things I don't know much about - and I've read so much on the web saying one shouldn't pay for SEO. I think I'm even more confused now than when I started on this SEO journey...
  4. Coffee, and lots of it... ...I love my Nightmare Before Xmas coffee (jug) cup
  5. ...you should see my punk rock memorabilia collection too;)
  6. The company in question is EMP (http://www.business-printing-services.co.uk/seo.html) ....seriously, would you take them seriously? There site looks like crap IMHO...
  7. Hi Aaron, Thank you for your reply. There is no politics involved, my client has made that clear. He just doesn't want to be 'screwed' because he knows very little about web stuff. The SEO guy did mention something about placing the site link on relevant sites (again something I could do - and have been doing this past week...) As I said, my SEO skills aren't the best, as I'm still finding my way around this kind of stuff. Is there any way I can see the effectiveness of my current SEO for the site? Am I correct in thinking that strategic online advertising would also raise the profile of the site?
  8. Hey all, Don't know if this has been done before, if it has - pls move my post Here is my little workspace at home: Let's see yours!
  9. Hi All, I have a site I recently setup for a client - http://www.skunxtattoo.com A friend of a friend of my client has offered him a SEO deal to get the site ranking high up on google (ie number 1). He's offering him a deal but still at £500 for the year it really sounds like a ripoff. When I built the site I really did take SEO into consideration (as much as my experience allowed - and I'm even making use of the all in one SEO plugin (site is wordpress based). As my client knows nothing about anything web related, he asked me to chat to this SEO expert. After a chat it sounds like what they do is something I can do for my client instead. This expert mentioned something about adding extra copy to pages, rewriting meta tags and rewriting every blog post to ensure max. ranking. I requested some of the sites they work with to see what he is actually going on about. I can see the extra copy that has been added to certain pages - the copy looks like links but is just plan static copy. (see bottom right corner of this site: http://acr-electrical.co.uk/). Another friend of mine says the SEO of the site can be improved without spending all the money. I also know it takes time to build the site up - it's still very new. I really think the £500 could be better spent with targeted advertising on facebook and google sponsored links. What do you think? Any advise?
  10. Very cool. I think the colour scheme will probably be one of the only things to change once you've got the logo. I really like the actual layout. Well done.
  11. Well, compiling this list has proved much harder than I thought, so I'm just going with stuff I can think of off the top of my head... Albums: 1. Rancid (2000) - Rancid 2. Sex, Love and Rock 'n Roll – Social Distortion 3. Lars Frederkison & the Bastards - Lars Frederkison & the Bastards 4. ...and out comes the wolves - Rancid 5. We have come for your parents - AMEN 6. Death to Tyrants - Sick of it All 7. On the frontline - The Casualties 8. No Heroes - Converge 9. Fire the Faith - Monster Squad 10. Don't turn away - Face to Face Songs: ...ah, I'm more of an album person, but a few that stand out for me are: Disconnect - Face to Face Skunx - Lars & the Bastards Who would've thought - Rancid Machete - Sick of it All ...and yes, I like my music quick and loud
  12. I agree with everybody the darker colours are way better. Only one thing that bugs me is your header - I think you can give it more space, top and bottom of the header and get that security cam on the homepage pointing towards the content;) Just weird that it's facing outwards. Something else to consider is maybe combining all the various header images into one for your home page - might give visitors a sense that there are various aspects to this business? But this could be solved by moving that footer text "SUPPLIERS OF CCTV & EPOS SOLUTIONS SINCE 1990" into the header? It shows it's a serious business too. Just my 2c, otherwise pretty cool.
  13. Oh yes! Awesome songs. ...will put up my list soon...
  14. No problems dude - always keen to help out where I can.
  15. Hi Web-rookie, I hope this will help you. PHP - is the coding langauge that runs your website Dreamweaver - you use this to piece together your code (PHP, HTML etc etc) - think of it as a photoshop type program but for instead of using photos it uses code. Wordpress - this is a ready built website that is built using PHP etc. You can use Dreamweaver to help you edit/customise Wordpress. Make sense?
  16. Hey Rob, just wanted to say that I like your site, very well done. It is nice and clean and has a great 'feel' to it. Only one suggestion I could make, it is with regards to the background 'star field' - any chance of have less stars? They kind of feel a little too bunched up - but hey, that's just me;) Either way, very well done!
  17. Mmmm, personally, I would go for wordpress - I have to use Joomla in the office and it really drives me mad. Wordpress really does feel easier to use and to manipulate.
  18. Very cool. Two thumbs up from me. Keen to see a working version.
  19. http://whatisrss.com/
  20. Hi everybody, For the last 2 years I've been doing some artwork for an event that a friend of mine runs to raise money for an animal charity in South Africa. Basically it's a music event based around a compilation album with all money raised being donated to the charity. I know this isn't a website design but an actual logo but it will be used to build a website within the upcoming weeks. http://www.artistsagainstanimalabuse.org Here is the 2008 version of the logo for Artists Against Animal Abuse. What do you think? My friend loves it;)
  21. Wordpress gets two thumbs up from my side. So much one can do with it, it is by far the most versatile system I've used yet.
  22. I'm really taken back that I've impressed you mrbigdog - guess I did something right. Thanks to angstmann, terrorsreign and AVVStudios for your comments, I really appreciate it. I personally can't wait for the studio to open this saturday because it follows the same colour scheme as the site - this was an important aspect of the site for the client, the site and the store have to share very common elements - something I love, consistency across everything The client was completely blown away when I sent him the first test link and since then nothing much has changed overall but he is really really happy with the site. He keeps phoning me every few hours since I launched it saying how impressed his friends and clientele are with the site - and guessing by the reaction from you WDF members, this is probably the best site I've done so far.
  23. 11 hours is enough time isn't it? Thanks for the feedback - yeah, kind of gave up with trying to get that main image centered... will see if I get a chance to revisit it and get it right. As for the titles, care to explain a little more please. Coverflow - yes indeed... myself and the client are both mac fans and he was completely in love with the idea that this was possible. The coverflow clone called pictureflow is available here: http://www.yaelle.com/?p=61
  24. ...no feedback or comments?
  25. Curvball replied to EvSouL's topic in Frontend
    Have you seen this list by Smashing Magazine? http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2006/12/21...-css-galleries/ Might be of some use to you.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.