Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

. Jordan .

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by . Jordan .

  1. Hmmm. Just tried in IE8 with compatibility mode on and I see what you mean. I'll put a text navigation in the footer as a backup
  2. Heyy, Does anyone know how I can make this navigation menu overlap the content area when clicked like in this picture (from mockup)? Currently it just bumps the content area down which is a very undesired effect. Thanks, Jordan
  3. The term Web Designer doesn't necessarily mean only using HTML, CSS and JS ect. Hell, if they're the only languages you know you won't go very far in this world anyway. Most Web Designers will/should really know how to do their fair share of standard PHP and other back-end work. The difference, in my opinion, between a Web Designer and a Web Developer is that most Developers will work purely on back-end server side scripting and will rarely do more than basic HTML & CSS in regards to design.
  4. The default login details for WAMP are... Hostname: "localhost" Username: "root" Password: ""
  5. So I'm currently in the process of applying for university and was wondering which of these courses sounds the better option. I'll be applying to both however I just wanted to know which you guys think would be the better course if I get accepted to both. http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/undergraduate/BScHonsWebTechnologies/whatwillistudy/ http://www.uch.ac.uk/index.php?content=detail_c&id=5 Also if any of you guys have been to either of these universities how was it?
  6. I don't use a framework. I like the idea that I've done it myself rather than left it to some framework
  7. @JordanCallumA
  8. I really can't stand the notes on my mobile lol. They're a pain to get to and don't really have any date system. I also thought this could help toward my portfolio in a sense . I just noticed that myself. I'll probably just add "(x)" to the end of each reminder as a delete link.
  9. Thanks It was because I didn't have quotes around "padding-left." The jQuery documentation annoyingly doesn't show it like that.
  10. I can't seem to get the jQuery animate function to work. Can anyone see where I've mucked up in my coding... <!DOCTYPE HTML> <html> <head> <title>jQuery Popout Menu</title> <style> </style> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://jordan-adams.co.uk/res/jquery.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> $(document).ready(function() { $('li span').hover(function() { $(this).animate({padding-left: 20px}, 500); }, function() { $(this).animate({padding-left: 0px}, 500); }); }); </script> </head> <body> <ul> <li><span>Foo Bar</span></li> <li><span>Foo Bar</span></li> <li><span>Foo Bar</span></li> <li><span>Foo Bar</span></li> <li><span>Foo Bar</span></li> </ul> </body> </html>
  11. I don't see how you can say twitter isn't especially imaginative of unique. To my knowledge it was the first micro-blogging platform and basically took social networking to a whole new perspective. However, to answer your question I'd say that one of the main things which makes sites successful is having a good amount of users before it launches. Look at Facebook for example, it was originally made by a couple of guys for Harvard University students to connect with each other online. So straight away they will have had their classmates who will have then told their other classmates and so on.
  12. I've noticed the same thing. However if you look at the work of an Indian web designer or firm and then the work of an English one you can see how they get away with charging less. Most work I've seen by Indians it's blocky and looks like something a 12 year old with Dreamweaver and a "...For Dummies" book could make. The way I see it is if a company or small business based in the UK wants to leave their online presence in the hands of a shifty little design firm thousands of miles away in a poverty stricken country then it's their loss.
  13. Lmfao. So true. I'm still starting out and still in college so what I get payed isn't really a massive deal to me. Personally I'd say about £100 - £200 for a simple 3 page design. However if you have a fair bit of experience then you can probably make more. Look around at local web design firms and see what they charge for what kind of site.
  14. Very nice for a first try. Here's some things I'd advise... - Remove the thick black line on the sides and replace it with a subtle shadow. - Make the background gradient more subtle by only going through a few shades of purple. - Try and stick to two fonts and if possible keep them both either sans-serif or serif. - Keep to a general colour scheme. Using red random when the rest or the design is based on purple seems strange. Other than that just keep practising and you'll be producing professional designs in no time
  15. I've never used it. Could someone enlighten me as to what gzip is and where it's best used ect?
  16. Looks really nice. Definitely has the feel of a professional website. You should propose this to them
  17. I've always had a problem of making paper notes about stuff and then either loosing the note or forgetting about it. So I decided to make myself a little reminder app so I can access it anywhere with an internet connect (which is everywhere since I have internet on my mobile) and add or check my personal reminders. Below is the design mockup I just did in photoshop since I had some free time. I'm personally quite pleased with it because I didn't make my usual mistake of overusing gradients. What do you guys think of it? Is there anything you think should be added, removed or changed ect? Thanks, Jordan http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/5672/remindersystemmockup.png
  18. Well then the problem is your query. Look up some documentation about what you want the query to do because to me it looks overly complicated.
  19. Then have you got the exact error message you're getting? However as I already said you really need to work on formatting your code more neatly.
  20. ^this. Here's an example HTML Files to include... 1.html | 2.html | 3.html | 4.html | 5.html PHP... function incRandHTML($rangeMin, $rangeMax) { $rand = mt_rand(1, 5); $html = $rand . ".html"; include($html); }
  21. Aha thanks. Some PHP errors just need a fresh pair of eyes to find them.
  22. Try this. It seems you were missing the closing curly brace ("}") for the line, "function getWrestling($style, $id) {" note: remember that tabs and white-space are your best friends in coding <?php function getWrestling($style, $id) { $id=mysql_real_escape_string($id); if ($style=='singles') { $query = "SELECT bio.charactername AS manager, ebw.finisher AS finisher, ebw.setup AS setup, ebw.music AS music FROM efed_bio_wrestling AS ebw JOIN efed_bio AS bio ON ( ebw.manager_id = bio.id) WHERE ebw.bio_id = '$id'"; $result = mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error()); while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) { echo(' <h2>Wrestling</h2> <table class="biotable" cellspacing="10px"> <tr class="biotablerowb"> <td class="biotableheadingb">Manager/Valet:</td> <td class="biotabledatab"><?php if (strlen ($row['manager']) < 1) { print "N/A"; } else { print $row['manager'];}?></td> </tr> <tr class="biotablerowb"> <td class="biotableheadingb">Finisher:</td> <td class="biotabledatab"><?php if (strlen ($row['finisher']) < 1) { print "N/A"; } else { print $row['finisher'];}?></td> </tr> <tr class="biotablerowb"> <td class="biotableheadingb">Setup:</td> <td class="biotabledatab"><?php if (strlen ($row['setup']) < 1) { print "N/A"; } else { print $row['manager'];}?></td> </tr> <tr class="biotablerowb"> <td class="biotableheadingb">Entrance Music:</td> <td class="biotabledatab"><?php if (strlen ($row['music']) < 1) { print "N/A"; } else { print $row['music'];}?></td> </tr> </table> '); } } } ?>
  23. PHP is in my opinion very easy to learn. If you've ever coded in languages such as C, C++ and C# then you more or less already know the syntax. The keywords/function names also make perfect sense unlike some languages. As for how useful it is I would say VERY. How many websites these days do you spend more than 10 minutes on and how many of those are static with just a little javascript. My guess is very few. All in all it's a great thing to learn and my favourite language. @ayoungh - Since you invited me to my new favourite website, I'll try help you out with php where I can
  24. . Jordan . replied to abeer's topic in Server Side
    shh
  25. . Jordan . replied to . Jordan .'s topic in General Chat
    Aha thanks. I promise I'll be a good boy ^.^

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.