Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should I add a Blog to a Portfolio website

Featured Replies

Hi All

 

My portfolio website tends to only get updated when I have completed a new project or need to make a few tweaks.

 

However as all of you know people only visit frequently updated websites.

 

I would like to attract more visitors to my portfolio site to help stimulate interest and bring in clients. I am doing the usual promotion, but concerned that my stats have dropped while I am completing projects.

 

Do you feel I should add a blog section to my site with updated content that would help recurring visitors or is it a known fact that Portfolio sites do not generate high traffic.

 

It would be interesting to know your views?

 

Thanks in advance

It can work for you, I'm certainly glad I did it :) If you do it make sure you add new content regularly - it doesn't have be every day but pick a schedule and stick to it whether that;s once a week, 4 time a month whatever.

What are you going to say in your blog?

 

How many clients/potential clients find you though the Internet compared to word of mouth?

  • Author
What are you going to say in your blog?

 

How many clients/potential clients find you though the Internet compared to word of mouth?

 

At present I am not sure what I would say. Still pondering on this. At present I get more clients through word of mouth.

The reason I ask is clients potential or current don't want to know what you had for breakfast or how you puked your guts up from drinking too much cheeky vimto over the weekend. It can a fine balance knowing what to say in a personal and professional way. A neglected blog could be as bad as non at all.

  • Author
The reason I ask is clients potential or current don't want to know what you had for breakfast or how you puked your guts up from drinking too much cheeky vimto over the weekend. It can a fine balance knowing what to say in a personal and professional way. A neglected blog could be as bad as non at all.

 

Thanks for the valuable advice.

The reason I ask is clients potential or current don't want to know what you had for breakfast or how you puked your guts up from drinking too much cheeky vimto over the weekend. It can a fine balance knowing what to say in a personal and professional way. A neglected blog could be as bad as non at all.

 

Very good advice!

 

@mrpdl - if you can't think what to write you may struggle in the long term.

 

As you're a freelancer, writing about yourself and your interests I think is OK, but anything you do write will show potential clients your personality - so if you start writing stuff like Mesa mentioned it won't look good on you! However, if you choose your subject matter carefully it can work for you.

I have to agree with the comments here. I was considering one purely to be picked up on Google. But I didnt knwo what to say, and didnt want it blank. Having a company blog has to be a full time job for it to work.

It depends on you man. If you are constantly busy due to projects, how can you find the time to update the blog daily? Sure the first few weeks, but what about after that. :o Do whatever you want, but be committed.

There is some very good advice that has been said here.

 

I too was considering a blog linked to my site, but like was said, I didn't want any personal info ( and work is too boring at the mo to write about that!) I did think about writing about design, nice sites, tutorials and techniques etc, but that is as far as I got.

  • Author

Guys, Thanks for the advice. I have taken on board your comments and think realistically it is a good idea, but do not have the time to commit to creating an effective blog.

 

Thanks again

Guys, Thanks for the advice. I have taken on board your comments and think realistically it is a good idea, but do not have the time to commit to creating an effective blog.

 

Thanks again

 

Blogs are good, but if you ragularlly update with fresh content, for me it's bit hard task to write some thing :( best of luck for your site.

I put the think tank on my portfolio site. But the difference is I'm not really using the site to find work since I already have a job. I update it once a month with random things that I ponder. It's an easy update, and I setup a system where I have a username and pass to update it. so I dont need to upload any files or anything.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.