Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Opinion on website created by Fiverr Seller

Featured Replies

Hi. If this was posted in the wrong section i apologise and i will correct if necessary. This post is about a website that was created for me by a seller on "Fiverr" (freelancer programmers). the final product is meant to be be a product comparison site based on a dummy i made (dariusbeaumont.net). The final website that was created for me is pccompare.co.

Im basically asking anyone with knowledge of the costs and work involved in making a comparison site like this to tell me should i pay the $200 in total i was originally charged for? I am sure some time has gone into making the site, and also of data was accumilated for it. The site is like a car comparison website with all models searchable. But there are no images in the site and it lacks the side by side comparison page my original brief asked for.

Today he said the gig is pretty much finished and requested payment. the final site lacks images but  he says they will be added later (but he has struggled with this part so far). I dont feel 100% comfortable with proceeding as this site is different to what i expected and doesnt have certain things. As the whole topic is a bit complicated and i have little experience with freelancer website design i thought i should seek a 2nd opinion.

Just to reiterate the prototype/dummy website i made at first is dariusbeaumont.net and the final product by the  fiverr programmer is pccompare.co

dariusbeaumont screenshot.jpg

pccompare screenshot.jpg

i think that if you won't pay a fair price to the design and development industry then i don't don't care what happens when you hire someone on fiverr

You get what you pay for.

I see your dummy site runs on Wordpress so I presume you installed that yourself? If that's true you could potentially do your own site, there should be plenty of plugins for doing comparisons so find one that works, add a theme and you should have a starting point.

You paid $200 for a free theme and plugin with an annual subscription.

That's what happens when you use ffiver.

Wow,

I am quite surprised.  

Well the "dummy" website you designed is way better.  I am surprised that someone would design a website like this and feel that they have delivered a Gig.

You should probably pay him off and continue the design yourself with your dummy website.  Or get a good developer to finish your project

What you're building sounds similar to https://pcpartpicker.com. They have a really extensive database of products and compatibility. You would honestly be better off scraping the data off a site like that, or another similar site and using it instead of keeping your own data up to date.

I don't think I'd use WordPress for something like this. You don't really need any of the features it ships with to be able to do product comparisons. The most important thing here is the data set, I'd say it architecturally this should look more like.

Scraper (runs daily or hourly) -> add to DB -> JSON API that talks to the DB - frontend to display the data.

7 hours ago, Jack said:

I don't think I'd use WordPress for something like this.

I wouldn't either but if it's easier for the OP and all that!

I built a credit card comparison site a few years ago using ExpressionEngine. That was actually much easier than I thought, just a case of using search to get 2 or more entry ID's, then pumping out entries for those ID's. No 3rd party addons required!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.