Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

First customer design

Featured Replies

Hi Guys,

 

I'm just in the middle of of my first customer design and I really want to make sure it's right - I am by no means a graphics designer yet - as im only 7 months into my Access to art course.. Just hoping to get some feedback, the customer loves it so far.

 

 

post-60871-0-12059200-1395173780_thumb.jpg

  • Author

I like it, colours seam to work well with each other IMO

 

Thank you - i'm still learning so not done too bad I think.

Edited by cherrydesigns

As a 'first customer design' this is definately above average. I agree that the colours work very well together. I also like the overall feel of your logo design.

 

However, (perhaps being picky :)) I would suggest a couple of 'tweaks' and methods to make it a bit more 'effective'.

 

Have a good look at the kerning of the word 'decorators' - there is too much space between the letters 'R A' also the letter S should line up with the end of the letter N above it (disregarding the serif).

 

A method I have found useful for getting the kerning right is to enlarge it on screen (or paper), step back and blurr your eyes enough so you are only looking at 'indiscriminate shapes' - what you will then see is the 'optical weight' of shapes and their relative spacing between. Never rely on software programs to do it properly - trust your judgement and adjust accordingly.

 

I do like your design, but It's these little attention to details, ie. 'fairy dust' that can be the difference between an ok design and a really good and effective design. It takes time and consideration.

 

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by stixstudios

pretty good! also a touch more space between the bottom ornament/scrolly thing and 'decorators' - if you look at the thumbnail on this forum the text looks very close to it.

  • Author

As a 'first customer design' this is definately above average. I agree that the colours work very well together. I also like the overall feel of your logo design.

 

However, (perhaps being picky :)) I would suggest a couple of 'tweaks' and methods to make it a bit more 'effective'.

 

Have a good look at the kerning of the word 'decorators' - there is too much space between the letters 'R A' also the letter S should line up with the end of the letter N above it (disregarding the serif).

 

A method I have found useful for getting the kerning right is to enlarge it on screen (or paper), step back and blurr your eyes enough so you are only looking at 'indiscriminate shapes' - what you will then see is the 'optical weight' of shapes and their relative spacing between. Never rely on software programs to do it properly - trust your judgement and adjust accordingly.

 

I do like your design, but It's these little attention to details, ie. 'fairy dust' that can be the difference between an ok design and a really good and effective design. It takes time and consideration.

 

Cheers,

Steve.

 

 

Thank you so much, I didn't notice to to be honest - I'm learning about illustrator as the first year of my course, doesnt teach you the digital media side of it, it teaches you.

 

Appreciate the feedback.

 

pretty good! also a touch more space between the bottom ornament/scrolly thing and 'decorators' - if you look at the thumbnail on this forum the text looks very close to it.

 

Thank you, again, didn't notice it - i've been wrapped up in this branding, that i've gone through about 50 different ideas, some not so good.

 

I do want to be 100% freelance eventually but know thats going to hard as there are alot of people, much better than I.

Thank you so much, ....

 

I do want to be 100% freelance eventually but know thats going to hard as there are alot of people, much better than I.

 

More experienced maybe, never declare defeat to yourself. You WILL defeat you!

 

The logo looks really good for your first customer project, the little tweaks listed by others will make all the difference.

Thank you. I've implemented the tweaks and customer signed it off. Now to do his business cards and website

 

I have to say I also like your own 'logo' in the avatar, it just needs more room around it.

  • Author

I have to say I also like your own 'logo' in the avatar, it just needs more room around it.

 

Thank you :)

 

This is the actual logo - Needs a couple of tweaks but I expect it to evolve as time goes by

 

cherr_Designs_logo_super_small.fw.png

Thank you :)

 

This is the actual logo - Needs a couple of tweaks but I expect it to evolve as time goes by

 

cherr_Designs_logo_super_small.fw.png

 

That makes for a good banner logo, which is also instantly identifiable with your small logo for use in tight spaces (avatar). With an uncalibrated screen that looks distinctly like 'Merrello cherry' colour which is how most people would see it online. With my calibrated monitor it is more of an aubergine to my eye.

  • Author

That makes for a good banner logo, which is also instantly identifiable with your small logo for use in tight spaces (avatar). With an uncalibrated screen that looks distinctly like 'Merrello cherry' colour which is how most people would see it online. With my calibrated monitor it is more of an aubergine to my eye.

 

This is a "small" version. The big one looks better, much better. It is a Merrello Cherry. As I say, it will probably evolve as my skills and confidence develops, im still learning about it all, so not bad so far.

Edited by cherrydesigns

Maybe somebody in your area can point you in the direction of an affordable calibration service for your monitor. It can make a big difference, especially when project's go to print.

  • Author

Yes, maybe - It's a possibility - I shall keep my eyes peeled.

 

Thank you for the positive feedback.

Edited by cherrydesigns

Thank you. I've implemented the tweaks and customer signed it off. Now to do his business cards and website

 

Congrats on the customer signing off on it. Good job. :good:

 

I notice that you will be creating his business cards - You may want to make some minor adjustments to the fleuron/decoration thingys otherwise you will likely end up loosing some detail, which would be a shame because they make the logo.

 

When reduced to fit a standard business card size (90mmW x 55mmH), some of the thin lines will likely almost disappear making the fleurons 'fill in' and look a bit 'clumpy'.

 

It's especially an issue being a light colour on a dark background. The filling in will also be compounded if you are going to have them printed in 4 colour process. I'd suggest 2 spot pms colours (although more costly).

 

Hard to explain, but i've been there before. I've designed some nice stuff only to see it wrecked by the printing process - very disheartening.

 

If you need any advice in that regard, I'm happy to give it. Otherwise, what else would I be doing? Getting off my arse and doing my own stuff? Nah, much easier to critique others :pp:)

 

Steve.

[Reason for Edit]: Spelling mistakes and general lax attitude.

Edited by stixstudios

  • Author

Thanks for the advice, i'd already tweaked the "floral lines" so the print process wouldn't ruin it, his cards are due back today, from print, as he was happy with the designs I submitted.

 

I'm now moving onto my next logo design BUT really really struggling with this one, everything I do, they like, signoff and then change their mind and its taken 4 weeks so far. Maybe, it's my lack of experience I dunno.

Thanks for the advice, i'd already tweaked the "floral lines" so the print process wouldn't ruin it, his cards are due back today, from print, as he was happy with the designs I submitted.

 

I'm now moving onto my next logo design BUT really really struggling with this one, everything I do, they like, signoff and then change their mind and its taken 4 weeks so far. Maybe, it's my lack of experience I dunno.

 

Hope the cards work out well.

 

As far as clients changing their minds, well this is a difficult one. Are you working freelance? What is your pricing structure? The best way to help a client make their mind up is to charge them more when they don't.

 

Be upfront about the initial cost: eg. You estimate 4hrs work, offering the client 3 alternative options which also includes 2 free basic revisions. Then let them know that any further 'Author's Corrections' will be charged at 1.5 times your standard rate (or even more).

 

You'll be surprised how quickly a client will get their sh*t together when they know how much they are going to be charged for it. Easier said than done though, especially when you are starting out and are trying to build a client base.

 

 

Additional Costs: Extensive revisions after the initial concept is approved are considered "author's alterations" and are usually an extra charge. The cost will depend entirely on the designer's standard hourly rate and the type and scope of the revision.

 

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks for the advice, i'd already tweaked the "floral lines" so the print process wouldn't ruin it, his cards are due back today, from print, as he was happy with the designs I submitted.

 

I'm now moving onto my next logo design BUT really really struggling with this one, everything I do, they like, signoff and then change their mind and its taken 4 weeks so far. Maybe, it's my lack of experience I dunno.

 

Make sure you are using a contract, include a clause that sign-off is 'task completion' and that means the client is liable to settle their account in full for that task. Then each time they come back after sign-off issue a new contract, they won't want to come back a third time without good reason, and even if they do you will be getting paid for the extra work involved so it's a win win! Make sure you also have a time limit for error corrections after sign-off, 48 hours max I'd say and make the client responsible for notifying you of errors in 'good time' and 'in writing'.

 

Hope the cards turned out good.

  • Author

Hi Guys, loving the great experience here already.

 

Yes 100% freelance customer has contracts, I wouldn't do work without to be honest

 

I charge £250 for logo design, which some say thats pricey but I like to think, they are paying for me and my creative talents.

 

I always, initially, do 6 designs for them to choose from, I then give the customer the final one the have chosen. This guy, just doesn't seem to know what he wants. I've had, to have a firm but kind word, which also included me asking for some kind of payment as he is yet to pay me a penny.

 

The cards have come out decent, customer is happy but the printer messed the sizing up at little so they have had to go to reprint. You can see for some reason, the text is to the left, they aren't like this on the PDF or the AI so, the printer admited they moved the font, thinking it wasn't aligned centrally initially although it was. Must say, i've never used this printer before and I'm probably going to stick another firm. Seems a shame.

 

 

 

The cards are "plain" but the customer didn't want to spend very much money on them at all.

post-60871-0-89481100-1395739350_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys, loving the great experience here already.

 

Yes 100% freelance customer has contracts, I wouldn't do work without to be honest

 

I charge £250 for logo design, which some say thats pricey but I like to think, they are paying for me and my creative talents.

 

I always, initially, do 6 designs for them to choose from, I then give the customer the final one the have chosen. This guy, just doesn't seem to know what he wants. I've had, to have a firm but kind word, which also included me asking for some kind of payment as he is yet to pay me a penny.

 

The cards have come out decent, customer is happy but the printer messed the sizing up at little so they have had to go to reprint. You can see for some reason, the text is to the left, they aren't like this on the PDF or the AI so, the printer admited they moved the font, thinking it wasn't aligned centrally initially although it was. Must say, i've never used this printer before and I'm probably going to stick another firm. Seems a shame.

 

 

 

The cards are "plain" but the customer didn't want to spend very much money on them at all.

 

Good to know that you have your pricing sorted.

 

What the printers have done defies belief!!!. :shok::wacko: Those fleurons no longer line up centered, and some of the text looks a bit out of whack although I can't really see it properly from that image.

 

WTF? why why why did they screw with it?

 

I actually work for a printing company (gulp ;)) in the 'pre-press department' and do some freelance design on the side. One of the very first things I learned when I did my apprenticeship (about 35yrs ago - which still holds true) is "follow the copy, even if it goes out the window" - What this means, is reproduce what the client has supplied, then the client can't complain that 'you' did something wrong, and they will have to pay for a re-print. Don't try to 'fix' the clients job - if you think there is an issue, then contact the client first.

 

Anyway, glad your client was happy - some clients are picky, but most aren't. Nevertheless, being a designer, It's like a stab in the heart when sometimes you see the final printed product that you have put your heart and soul into, turn to sh*t due to no fault of your own.

 

Also, you want to put your good work into your portfolio - you don't want to put your name to a substandard job that was not of your doing.

 

What are you going to tell your client? - "The printer wasn't happy with that last lot, being the perfectionist that he is, so here's a new batch" Dunno, but it needs to be handled carefully.

 

I'll be interested to hear how it all pans out. Also, Yep! find a new printer you can rely on.

 

Cheers, Steve.

  • Author

Good to know that you have your pricing sorted.

 

What the printers have done defies belief!!!. :shok::wacko: Those fleurons no longer line up centered, and some of the text looks a bit out of whack although I can't really see it properly from that image.

 

WTF? why why why did they screw with it?

 

I actually work for a printing company (gulp ;)) in the 'pre-press department' and do some freelance design on the side. One of the very first things I learned when I did my apprenticeship (about 35yrs ago - which still holds true) is "follow the copy, even if it goes out the window" - What this means, is reproduce what the client has supplied, then the client can't complain that 'you' did something wrong, and they will have to pay for a re-print. Don't try to 'fix' the clients job - if you think there is an issue, then contact the client first.

 

Anyway, glad your client was happy - some clients are picky, but most aren't. Nevertheless, being a designer, It's like a stab in the heart when sometimes you see the final printed product that you have put your heart and soul into, turn to sh*t due to no fault of your own.

 

Also, you want to put your good work into your portfolio - you don't want to put your name to a substandard job that was not of your doing.

 

What are you going to tell your client? - "The printer wasn't happy with that last lot, being the perfectionist that he is, so here's a new batch" Dunno, but it needs to be handled carefully.

 

I'll be interested to hear how it all pans out. Also, Yep! find a new printer you can rely on.

 

Cheers, Steve.

 

Thanks - I know, I was ripped apart when they arrived. Couldn't believe it. They said, when they opened up the AI, it didn't look "right" I was so p*ssed, never ever mess with a designers work. I think to be honest, im glad i'm rid of them, i'd hear some bad things but wanted to make my own mind up, I tend to do that.

 

To be honest, i've been open and honest to the customer about what has happened. I made it clear, that before I ordered that i've never used this printer and he appreciated the honesty. Its a same day job for this local printer, so I'm happy to wait for today as i'm due to meet the client in the morning {Wednesday}

 

I've found a printer but so far, they have done other jobs that i've had come in, because of me doing these ones.

 

Anywho, it's been a learning curve getting this to printer, as i've never actually done that. So thats been a learning experience.

Thanks - I know, I was ripped apart when they arrived. Couldn't believe it. They said, when they opened up the AI, it didn't look "right" I was so p*ssed, never ever mess with a designers work. I think to be honest, im glad i'm rid of them, i'd hear some bad things but wanted to make my own mind up, I tend to do that.

 

To be honest, i've been open and honest to the customer about what has happened. I made it clear, that before I ordered that i've never used this printer and he appreciated the honesty. Its a same day job for this local printer, so I'm happy to wait for today as i'm due to meet the client in the morning {Wednesday}

 

I've found a printer but so far, they have done other jobs that i've had come in, because of me doing these ones.

 

Anywho, it's been a learning curve getting this to printer, as i've never actually done that. So thats been a learning experience.

 

The only reason to ever 'mess with a designers work' is to enable it to "print" well. ie. perhaps dropping back screen percentages etc. That's all!!!

 

Good for you that you have been honest with your client - honesty will hold you in good stead. (well at least that's what mummy told me)

 

You really need to find a good 'helpful' printer - like you would find a good butcher if you really like nice cuts of tender meat instead of the dross served up at your local supermarket. (tesco?) When you find one, stick with them.

 

The printing industry in Australia is pretty much screwed. I work for a small printing company in the pre-press dept. and the only reason I have a job is that I have the experience to be able to 'fix up' (in a good way :D) jobs that come through the door so they can actually be printed - I don't ever mess with the actual design. I understand the designers point of view - I am one.

 

We don't bother to print business cards and other smaller stationery items in-house. We subcontract that work to another company. They are 'for trade only' printers - they print multiple up jobs on an A1 press and they will print 'exactly' what you give them to a high quality standard and much below the cost that we could ever produce. Sad, but that's the way it is. An example is: 500 business cards, printed 4 colour process, both sides, laminated both sides, packed and delivered to our door for approx. 25 of your English pounds. We put on a markup, then onsell to the client.

 

Anyway, that's the reason why I'm getting into web design and development.

 

Steve.

I would be inclined to believe that this 'local printers' is one person that used to work in the print industry, got made redundant and decided they know enough to do the whole process themselves. So of they went and bought a second hand digital printer and started advertising.

 

This is a common problem with printing firms, cheap is for a reason I have found. If I needed to change printers I'd start with some basic questions about how they handle the processes (making it clear that I mean plural not singular) this would make the one man trying to do it all themselves stand out so they can be avoided.

  • Author

I would be inclined to believe that this 'local printers' is one person that used to work in the print industry, got made redundant and decided they know enough to do the whole process themselves. So of they went and bought a second hand digital printer and started advertising.

 

This is a common problem with printing firms, cheap is for a reason I have found. If I needed to change printers I'd start with some basic questions about how they handle the processes (making it clear that I mean plural not singular) this would make the one man trying to do it all themselves stand out so they can be avoided.

 

I'm close to agreeing with this. It's a shame as hes a nice bloke :)

 

Either way, found a new printer now - the one I've been using for ages.

I'm close to agreeing with this. It's a shame as hes a nice bloke :)

 

In business there is no such thing as a nice bloke, it is a business, you are a business, you are making a business transaction.

 

This is a difficult concept for many people to get used to, but the sooner you do, the sooner you will save your business time and money while maximizing quality for your customer!

  • Author

Thanks all for the great feedback - Love the warm welcome I have been given :)

 

Wanted to share these that I've done. I love them.. what's your thoughts.

post-60871-0-78900600-1396001924_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Good work! I really appreciate your work. Design skills are God Gifted. You can learn programming but for designing you need an artistic mind.

 

Thank you

  • 4 weeks later...

Love it! The color seems to be more intricate. It is more likely made by a professional :)

The logo is impressive but I don't know why the extra space at the end of the logo. If you can remove it then it would look more elegant then this one.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.