Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The bar

Featured Replies

Order a virtual drink and chat about anything and everything in the bar, in other words its for chatting about what ever you want

 

Three rules:

1. You can't just order a drink

2. No spamming

3. Have fun

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Views 108.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the bar sell crisps or any other snacks? I'm kinda peckish.

 

Have a listening exam for Mandarin tomorrow :unsure: not sure if I've done enough work, but kinda running out of time!

 

Is anyone else on the board heading for May time exam/coursework hell? Or is it just moi? It would be nice to know I'm not alone in my WDF procrastination!

  • Author

I guess we can do snacks too :p

 

I don't have may exams but I do have WDF procrastination...which can be a pain especially when I have a really boring job to do at work ^_^

I'll have a Magners please!

 

No exams or May craziness at my end, just uber job hunting and freelance work, oh, and another trip to France!

 

I got my interview for this tutoring job tomorrow! *nervous*

 

Good luck with your exam Eris!

  • Author

I'll have a malibu...you'll all soon realise how addicted I am to that drink :p

 

yup yup good luck to Eris for her exams.

 

And good luck to Rob too, you'll need it as your knowledge of all this stuff is really bad...just kidding I know you will do well as long as you don't let your nerves get to you :)

*sips on his Magners*

 

Thanks Dizi! It's not that I don't feel I can do it, I think it's more just general interview nerves — I haven't had an interview for about 3 years! :o I suppose at the end of the day it's experience, even if I don't get it (or don't want it!).

  • Author

*downs malibu and orders another*

 

yup yup yup, I hope it is something you want and get as it would be a great thing to do :) I wanted to be a tutor for a while, so good luck once more...

 

I really should dry my hair and go to bed. Have to get up early and go finish off a project I am really hating at the moment :mellow:

*hands Dizi another Malibu*

 

Did you decide not to pursue tutoring then? I've personally never thought about it much, although it makes perfect sense really. I think I'd be much better 1on1, but we'll see what they think tomorrow!

 

I hate working on something you're not enjoying, it really puts you off the job! Have you got much left to do on it?

Good luck with exams Eris, and good luck with the interview Rab - you both deserve to do well.

 

Dizi - go easy on those malibu or you'll not feel like doing that project you already don't feel like doing in the morning!

 

[edit] do you serve tea? With soya milk, not cows. Thank you ;)

  • Author

We serve what ever you want to drink...as long as you don't tell the bar maid when she has drank enough Malibu *hic*...Although you are probably right I won't feel like doing this project :)

 

 

 

EDIT: missed robs post sorry rob :p There is about 2 days left to do on it, the rest really is just copying and pasting as it is just the same back end with a different look, so I am hoping that the programmer has finished uploading the stuff he needed to upload so I can finish off what I need to do. I in away would love to do tutoring but after a bit of though realise that I am not really cut out for it as my thinking isn't logical to most although it gets to the same result and when I tried explaining how something worked to a friend I confused them :p

We serve what ever you want to drink...as long as you don't tell the bar maid when she has drank enough Malibu *hic*...Although you are probably right I won't feel like doing this project :)

I would never dream of telling any member of the mod squad to stop drinking... :p

  • Author
I would never dream of telling any member of the mod squad to stop drinking... :p

 

 

you never know in a drunken moment I might ban the whole forum :p

I wouldn't dare either. Another Malibu Dizi?? ^_^

I will have a virtual grolsch to go with my real grolsch. I too am hating a project I am working on at the moment it is really boring me now, but money is life's petrol and it will be good for the portfolio.

Hey Rob, hope the interview goes ok today! I'm sure you will be fine though :)

Let us know how it goes Rob. I remember many years ago when I did some 1 to 1 tutoring - it was a complete disaster!!! Some pushy print designer who knew nothing about the web wanted tutoring in Dreamweaver. I produced course materials and did a couple of hours tutoring which I thought went OK. She didn't re-book, nor did she pay me a penny for what I'd done so far... (oops, my own fault really - mug!) Once bitten twice shy though, so I have NEVER done it again... although I have since done tutoring at University, graphics, web, mac stuff, anything really, its very rewarding in the right environment.

  • Author

Is it too early for a Malibu? Already the procrastination has started as soon as I got into work :p I guess I should keep in mind the quicker its done the faster I move onto the next thing :p

When I read "Order a virtual drink and chat about anything and everything in the bar, in other words its for chatting about what ever you want", I thought, "Great!".

 

Then I read: "Three rules: 1. You can't just order a drink" and I thought, "Oh..."

  • Author

:p I just didn't want a page that read like this

 

 

Member 1:

I'll have a beer

 

Member 2:

I'll have a Pepsi

 

Member 1:

I'll have another beer

 

Member 3:

I'll join you member 1 and have a beer 2.

 

Member 1:

great 2 beers.

 

 

It would get boring after a while and just be spammy rather than add a place for members just to chat about anything they want.

Morning forumers,

 

Interesting bar idea, I once worked in a sports bar. Saw some dodgy stuff there :huh: also met some interesting people. However nothing inspires you to work harder in life than working in a bar and realising you don't want to do work like that for the rest of your life.

 

I'll have a Jagebomb to go... :good:

 

Cari.

Bit early for alcohol so I'll have a cuppa tea please bar maid.

 

Let us know how your exam goes today Eris, we're behind ya! :D

 

Dizi, I can't believe you're already procrastinating at 9am, did you even start it!? :o Just think, the quicker you get it done, the sooner you can have a binge on the forum! :D

 

Thanks for the well wishes about my interview everyone! I'll make sure that I let you know what happened as soon as I'm home :p

 

@Angstmann — You've inspired me to offer one2one (anyone remember that mobile provider? :p) web design classes from home/from their home if this doesn't work out. My parents suggested doing evening classes for groups of 5-10 as well, would have no idea how I'd set that up, though! :o

What a good way of getting back into the forum after my little break from it! Mines a Stella and a packet of Kettles Lightly Salted please!

 

Anyone else want a drink? as I am feeling generous as two big projects are coming to a close! :yahoo:

 

Ahhh to have bit of time to browse the forum, it can be hard building a new pc from scratch, running your own business and keeping the good lady happy! :p

Is anyone else on the board heading for May time exam/coursework hell? Or is it just moi? It would be nice to know I'm not alone in my WDF procrastination!

 

Me!!! an my SQL FMA to do next weekend.

 

Then 4 Saturdays of PHP followed by a weeks break and then 4 weks of Javascript. With TMA's in the middle for both and then two final FMA's for end of July.

 

Good luck Eris

 

:flm7:

  • Author
Dizi, I can't believe you're already procrastinating at 9am, did you even start it!? :o Just think, the quicker you get it done, the sooner you can have a binge on the forum! :D

 

I had been in since 8:30 so did a little...done a bit more now :p

 

I think secretly as you are not going to get top poster today I am trying to keep up with you and that way you will never be number one poster :spiteful:...but I just keep telling myself its because I would rather be posing on the forum then doing this project :p

*Enters the bar*

I had English test today.. I think it wen quite well, although the reading part was quite hard for me... So, let's hope the best!

It's past lunch time so it's ok to have a beer :)

 

I'm working on two projects, neither of them particulary interesting or hard. Need to learn how to create a members only area and how that's managed though which will be good.

 

I'm feeling a bit sore today as I had a weekend of playing Ice Hockey with my old University team. I'm sad now though cause I can't play with them again, as you can only play upto the year after, and I also was one of the founding members. I went out with a bang though, in our final game in my last shift I said to myself, put everything in, this IS the last time i'll be playing. 20 seconds after this, the other winger went up the wing, passed across so the puck was towards the front of the net, I got there just in time, took one shot, the goalie saved it, but it bounced towards me, I took a diving shot to reach the puck and it slid in behind him, as I watched in mid-air. As soon as the ref pointed to the goal indicating a goal, I was screaming with joy as I slide along the ice. I hardly EVER score, so it was even sweeter!

  • Author
*Enters the bar*

I had English test today.. I think it wen quite well, although the reading part was quite hard for me... So, let's hope the best!

 

 

I'll hope for the best too :)

 

I really like your signature, although its something that I must admit to not doing...I'm always having to edit my posts due to mistakes :p

 

 

And if MikeGC is having a beer then I guess its ok for me to have a Malibu :p

I'll hope for the best too :)

 

I really like your signature, although its something that I must admit to not doing...I'm always having to edit my posts due to mistakes :p

And if MikeGC is having a beer then I guess its ok for me to have a Malibu :p

Thank you, Dizi :) Just saw, that i made one mistake too, by writing wen instead of went :p

*undoes the top button on his shirt, walks into the bar, and orders an ice cold Magners*

 

Ahh, that's better! I don't mind shirts, but I'm not a massive fan of being smart the entire day.

 

I just got back from the interview in London for the tutoring job, it seemed to go really well. The people in the offices down there were really nice, totally people I'd like to work with. I've been invited back for a second interview and to sit in on one of the tutoring classes, which will give me a better idea of if it's something I want to do or not.

 

They were also quite interested in my freelancing and might be getting in touch with me about re-doing their website (separate from the tutoring), which is a cool bonus!

 

All in all it looks like it was a good interview, and it definitely wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

 

*relaxes and takes a large sip of his cider*

*Walks in , sees nobody else is around, leans over the bar, helps himself to a bottle of stout and walks out*

*walks in again, helps himself again to another bottle of stout, is about to walk out, has a pang of guilt and leaves a fiver on the bar*

Glad to hear it went well Rob. After all, what is there you don't know about web design? :p

ElanMan - I hope you're not going to make a habit of pinching from the WDF bar?

*orders more tea, waits for headcoat to pour*

*grabs a sack, hides behind the bar, and waits for ElanMan to try and steal something again*

Hmmm,

 

I'll have a bottle of Corona my good man as well as a Malibu and pineapple - tastes so good! :D

Oh can I also have some salted peanuts?... Thanks

 

Mad mad day I have had today - it rhymes :) Ive also got a few sites I need to complete - AS WELL AS MY OWN!!! (Redoing the portfolio - still)

*walks in, comments on the size of Rob's sack, proceeds to order a bottle of stout as if this is his first time in the bar*

 

Also glad to hear the interview went well Rob :)

Thanks ElanMan! I'm yet to hear if I actually get offered it, but we'll see what happens.

 

At this rate the bar is going to be pretty busy by tonight! :o

*Walks in orders a bottle of grolsch and sits in the corner all alone*

 

Well done Rob, hope you get the tutoring job ( that is if you like it when you go back) and the website will be a nice bonus.

*Walks in orders a bottle of grolsch and sits in the corner all alone*

 

Well done Rob, hope you get the tutoring job ( that is if you like it when you go back) and the website will be a nice bonus.

 

Thanks dude, we'll see how it goes if/when I get invited back. I wouldn't be surprised if they are spying on me here, they know this is where I got the heads up about the job from! :o

Thanks dude, we'll see how it goes if/when I get invited back. I wouldn't be surprised if they are spying on me here, they know this is where I got the heads up about the job from! :o

 

Be careful what you say, they're always watching. I don't think that would be a bad thing as your a great membe rof the forum and help a lot of people out.

*Walks in the bar and orders himself a bottle of sparkling water, scans the room for some company.*

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.