Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is RSS dead?

Featured Replies

Do the majority of people still actually read RSS feeds? I am hearing mixed answers on this.

Im am subscribed to about 20 myself :)

 

I prefer atom feeds myself (not that anyone knows the difference).

 

 

 

Edit: just count, make that 31.

Edited by cibgraphics

I just bookmark sites and check back later. I've never really been into the whole RSS thing, but can see why it would be good if you really wanted to get all the latest news from sites almost as soon as they are published.

I just bookmark sites and check back later. I've never really been into the whole RSS thing, but can see why it would be good if you really wanted to get all the latest news from sites almost as soon as they are published.

 

Same here, its something that just seemed to pass me by, I'm a bookmark sorta guy :p

And don't forget that RSS (aka XML) data is used for much more than news feeds. I've worked on several sites that use RSS to transport data across different sites.

And don't forget that RSS (aka XML) data is used for much more than news feeds. I've worked on several sites that use RSS to transport data across different sites.

 

 

Hey BlueDreamer im a noob to web design and to this forum, i was wondering if you could tell me(pm if u like) how to incorporate an RSS feed into my website, i mean what i want is to subscribe to a couple of rss feeds im interested in and have them update live on one of my web pages.

Is this a simple process?

I understand html & CSS and im just about to get stuck into learning JavaScript so thats about my level.

 

Any help apreciated thanks.

Hey BlueDreamer im a noob to web design and to this forum, i was wondering if you could tell me(pm if u like) how to incorporate an RSS feed into my website, i mean what i want is to subscribe to a couple of rss feeds im interested in and have them update live on one of my web pages.

Is this a simple process?

I understand html & CSS and im just about to get stuck into learning JavaScript so thats about my level.

 

Any help apreciated thanks.

 

Could you not just find out via the internet?

Personally, I'd be lost without my rss feeds. I'm subscribed to loads of feeds using RSSOwl.

I couldn't keep track if they were just bookmarks in my browser.

Any interesting articles are bookmarked in to categories which I then read at my leisure. Great articles go into a 'special' bookmarks folder :)

As Bluedreamer mentioned, rss is a subset of xml. I don't see it dying anytime soon.

 

@Assanya, if you're using PHP, take a look at something like Magpie.

If just JavaScript, have a look at google's Feed API

Could you not just find out via the internet?

 

 

Which is exactly what they are trying to do... this is a discussion and help forum for... discussion and help! rolleyes.gif

 

 

@assanya: Your best bet to get that question answered would be to start a new thread in the help forum :)

Personally I use twitter to keep up to date with new content on my favourite sites. It's easier to miss updates compared to RSS, but it's one less thing to keep an eye on!

@Assanya, if you're using PHP, take a look at something like Magpie.

If just JavaScript, have a look at google's Feed API

 

Thanks alot ill have a peek at those

 

 

 

Which is exactly what they are trying to do... this is a discussion and help forum for... discussion and help! rolleyes.gif

 

 

@assanya: Your best bet to get that question answered would be to start a new thread in the help forum :)

 

Ok ill re-jig my question and start a new thread soon cheers

Hey BlueDreamer im a noob to web design and to this forum, i was wondering if you could tell me(pm if u like) how to incorporate an RSS feed into my website, i mean what i want is to subscribe to a couple of rss feeds im interested in and have them update live on one of my web pages.

Is this a simple process?

I understand html & CSS and im just about to get stuck into learning JavaScript so thats about my level.

 

Any help apreciated thanks.

 

 

 

I have used simplepie for getting rss feeds onto another website.

Or Joomla & wordpress have plug in's to help.

 

Another tool I have played with is Yahoo pipes, too strip out only the rss content you need.

 

I'm no expert coder but still managed to get it all working ok.

Edited by YamaDan

Do I use RSS often: NO

Do I think it's dead: NO

 

Its a powerfully piece of technology and I don't think its going anywhere (accept forward).

There're many use's for RSS including internal, like for a big company to communicate betwixt departments and such.

RSS is almost certainly still going to be around for a long time to come.

 

I can easily get an overview of my feeds without the need to visit a site as I can see if there is new content. It also helps website owners to save on bandwidth as other users can view the RSS without the need to visit the actual website.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.