September 28, 200917 yr Well I've just started implementing CushyCMS into my first website, expecting it to cause many headaches, but all I can say is WOW! Registration is a snap and it works like a dream! Nice and simple, just what I wanted - even a noob like me can use it. Now I know you lot are gonna tell me why it's rubbish...
September 28, 200917 yr It's not that it's rubbish, it's just not current, up to date, or client friendly . There are a bunch of alternatives in this space. I've been using PageLime http://www.pagelime.com for a few months now. Love, Love, love it! Not gonna replace WordPress for larger ultra dynamico sites, but frankly my clients like it, I like it. Give it a shot. -Cynthia
September 28, 200917 yr dam pagelime does look good, might have to give that a go on my next project!
September 29, 200917 yr Give it a shot. I like it more then my Adidas trainers...for those who do not know me...that's a **** of a lot.
September 29, 200917 yr Cynthia; great call on PageLime I will give it a go with my next project - cheers
September 29, 200917 yr I'm also loving the look of PageLime. I used cushy CMS and it worked well but this looks that little bit better for both ends!
September 29, 200917 yr I'm new to these forums...looks like you all are pretty active. Glad I was able to push some useful information.
September 29, 200917 yr PageLime is good, but i will stick with ExpressionEngine. There are so many good and easy to use CMS's around nowadays that it all comes down to personal preference I guess. Pligg CMS Plone CMS
September 29, 200917 yr PageLime is good, but i will stick with ExpressionEngine. There are so many good and easy to use CMS's around nowadays that it all comes down to personal preference I guess. Pligg CMS Plone CMS Like I said...it's not the end all solution. People are super protective over their CMS choices, like someone saying a CMS is better for them, means all other CMS are bad. Expression Engine is also super solid, but way more then I need for a lot of my clients. I'll never get how people can decide to only use one CMS (or ecommerce, or blog, or JS framework, etc) just pick the best tool for the job. I can get pagelime (or cushy for that matter) setup on a site in minutes, with no install hassles, no database needs, and 10 minutes of client explanations. I upsell the crap out of it because it's cheap as hell. I wouldn't choose it if I needed a crazy dynamic site that pulled content from every which way, but I get a lot of local clients who are A. Old B. Already Confused by the internet C. Force me on crazy deadlines. My time and ability to be available to take on more work is most important to me. Cheers for personal preference though. This thread is going to rapidly become a "My CMS is the best thread" sorry about that...
September 29, 200917 yr I've also used PageLime and really liked it. Client feedback was really positive as well. I'm now generally a MODx convert but for the more basic needs like the little 4 pagers, PageLime is great.
September 29, 200917 yr Like I said...it's not the end all solution. People are super protective over their CMS choices, like someone saying a CMS is better for them, means all other CMS are bad. Expression Engine is also super solid, but way more then I need for a lot of my clients. I'll never get how people can decide to only use one CMS (or ecommerce, or blog, or JS framework, etc) just pick the best tool for the job. I can get pagelime (or cushy for that matter) setup on a site in minutes, with no install hassles, no database needs, and 10 minutes of client explanations. I upsell the crap out of it because it's cheap as hell. I wouldn't choose it if I needed a crazy dynamic site that pulled content from every which way, but I get a lot of local clients who are A. Old B. Already Confused by the internet C. Force me on crazy deadlines. My time and ability to be available to take on more work is most important to me. Cheers for personal preference though. This thread is going to rapidly become a "My CMS is the best thread" sorry about that... I like ExpressionEngine because of its powerful features. It's not my favorite CMS because quite frankly, I dont have a favorite one. I agree with what you said regarding picking the best CMS for the job, I have used CushyCMS before and I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to get something up and running in no time. No one is being protective about their CMS... yet. And if they start getting protective then yeah, you should be sorry...
September 30, 200917 yr PageLime is a great idea, but the monthly CMS's put me offer a little - I guess you either get your client to pay you monthly, or upsell and charge enough to cover the ongoing costs per month? A self hosted one with the same features of PageLime would be good, just found http://grabaperch.com/ anyone have any experience with perch?
September 30, 200917 yr PageLime is a great idea, but the monthly CMS's put me offer a little - I guess you either get your client to pay you monthly, or upsell and charge enough to cover the ongoing costs per month? A self hosted one with the same features of PageLime would be good, just found http://grabaperch.com/ anyone have any experience with perch? Well you can use PageLime for free for up to three sites, so could set it up per client and not have to worry about the fees at all, unless you really don't want to let them know it's not yours and then you need to pay for the white labelling. I did see Perch a while back and thought it looked worth a further look but nevre quite managed it! I would also be interested to hear any feedback anyone's got.
September 30, 200917 yr PageLime is a great idea, but the monthly CMS's put me offer a little - I guess you either get your client to pay you monthly, or upsell and charge enough to cover the ongoing costs per month? A self hosted one with the same features of PageLime would be good, just found http://grabaperch.com/ anyone have any experience with perch? I have 5 clients on PageLime it costs me $19 USD(£12) a month to use it for 50+ sites. I charge each client £150 a year for the CMS + Hosting which is negligible. 5 x £150 = £750 - (12 x £12) = £552 money in my pocket. I don't even know what it would saves me if I added in my hourly rate for developing or tech support calls that I always end up comping the client to bring the project in under budget. Being a freelancer is like %70 percent coding/design %30 salesmanship. I checked out Perch too, mainly my issue with that is if I'm going to install something locally, I might as well do something like wordpress where I can one click upgrade when security flaws show up etc. Say something someone finds an exploit for Perch, and I have it running on 10 sites . I now have to go Patch 10 sites. I love the SaaS model because everything just upgrades across the system. They fix a bug, add usability features, make the system faster...I look better to my clients and since I have a pro account on PL I'm white labeled anyway. They don't even know they are using a system I didn't create. I just never had a problem with not self hosting stuff, Isn't the whole world heading into the "cloud" anyway? I use Gmail instead of "Mail" or "Outlook" the software gets better without me doing anything. Blah blah blah blah I'm rambling...I feel attached to this thread now. P.S. Anyone check out FoxyCart for eCommerce? It's a SaaS shopping solution I'm super hesitant to try eCommerce stuff since money is involved. Maybe I'll start my first thread!
September 30, 200917 yr I have 5 clients on PageLime it costs me $19 USD(£12) a month to use it for 50+ sites. I charge each client £150 a year for the CMS + Hosting which is negligible. 5 x £150 = £750 - (12 x £12) = £552 money in my pocket. I don't even know what it would saves me if I added in my hourly rate for developing or tech support calls that I always end up comping the client to bring the project in under budget. Being a freelancer is like %70 percent coding/design %30 salesmanship. I checked out Perch too, mainly my issue with that is if I'm going to install something locally, I might as well do something like wordpress where I can one click upgrade when security flaws show up etc. Say something someone finds an exploit for Perch, and I have it running on 10 sites . I now have to go Patch 10 sites. I love the SaaS model because everything just upgrades across the system. They fix a bug, add usability features, make the system faster...I look better to my clients and since I have a pro account on PL I'm white labeled anyway. They don't even know they are using a system I didn't create. I just never had a problem with not self hosting stuff, Isn't the whole world heading into the "cloud" anyway? I use Gmail instead of "Mail" or "Outlook" the software gets better without me doing anything. Blah blah blah blah I'm rambling...I feel attached to this thread now. P.S. Anyone check out FoxyCart for eCommerce? It's a SaaS shopping solution I'm super hesitant to try eCommerce stuff since money is involved. Maybe I'll start my first thread! When you put it like that... If they're happy to pay £150 on top of hosting I guess it's worth it. On another note, I lived in pompey for 4 years..last year, you do any work with do1?
September 30, 200917 yr I use Surreal CMS (surrealcms.com) which I think is better than Cushy as it automatically scans for and adds editable pages. With Cushy, you need to add each page indvidually which can take ages if you have a large site. Or have I missed something with Cushy?
September 30, 200917 yr lots of good recommendations on this thread. I see i'm going to be spending a few days trying new cms's out lol.
October 1, 200917 yr lots of good recommendations on this thread. I see i'm going to be spending a few days trying new cms's out lol. Make sure to post your reviews!
October 1, 200917 yr I use Surreal CMS (surrealcms.com) which I think is better than Cushy as it automatically scans for and adds editable pages. With Cushy, you need to add each page indvidually which can take ages if you have a large site. Or have I missed something with Cushy? Also checked surreal out, pretty swish. Spent most of the day yesterday finding what I needed and decided on Orbis CMS. Literally took me 5 minutes to set up, and it's p*** easy to customise, brand and label as your own. Also easy to upgrade and completely free.
October 2, 200917 yr I used to use Cushy CMS, but they have to be the most unhelpful service around and they spam me. Then about 4 months ago I found out about PageLime, which was brand new. At the begining there was a few glitches, but now it is the most useful CMS around. Plus Tom and Emil are so helpful. If you find an area that could be improved they usually reply with a day. I would highly recommend PageLime!
November 6, 200916 yr I used to use Cushy CMS, but they have to be the most unhelpful service around and they spam me. Then about 4 months ago I found out about PageLime, which was brand new. At the begining there was a few glitches, but now it is the most useful CMS around. Plus Tom and Emil are so helpful. If you find an area that could be improved they usually reply with a day. I would highly recommend PageLime! I've just signed up for the free PageLime basic account and got an email from Tom almost instantly. Yet to see how it works though.
Create an account or sign in to comment