Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PowerfulTrueRam

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by PowerfulTrueRam

  1. Hey guys, I'm putting togethor a portfolio website for my freelance design and development company and I was wondering, what kind of thing do you reccomend I write about myself in the "about me" section. How can I persuade a potential client to go with me through this page? Cheers, Dan
  2. "Web 2.0" isn't actually a new technology of any sort, it's just a buzzword to describe the new trends in web design. A large part of it is the involvement of the internet community in websites such as Facebook, Youtube etc. On the topic of design, designers are starting to leave the "Web 2.0" style for more grungry and unique designs. Web 2.0 was all gradients and shiny buttons wheras now designers are going for a more "real life" apporach. Hope this helps, Dan P.S. As MrB says, definately checkout the wikipedia article on it, it's a great introduction.
  3. You have quite a few W3 Validation errors on this page, run it through the W3 Validator and run through the list. This should sort out your problem. I think the problem that IE is throwing up a fuss about is the missing <li> tag on line 65 ("Browse Box"). Hope this helps, Dan
  4. PHP has such a large support group and developer network, I think it would be impossible for it to die in the near future. It doesn't have any faults that a new technology would need to replace and when it does have faults, they're quickly ironed out by the extremely dedicated developers behind it. I think we'll be hearing of PHP for many years to come. Dan
  5. If you don't put any floats or display properties on the image, the "text-align: center;" property should work. Just assign it to the div. Dan
  6. You can use the following CSS to make the image become solid when the mouse rolls over it: a img { filter: alpha(opacity=50); opacity: 0.5; } a:hover img { filter: alpha(opacity=100); opacity: 1; } I haven't tested this but it should work. Dan
  7. can you not use "text-decoration: underline;" instead?
  8. you could also just add "display: block;" assuming it is not part of a parent div with a set width
  9. Just for future reference, the term you're searching for is a "back end" or "back end management system" or something of the like as opposed to "back office". This should result in a few more tutorial results etc. Dan
  10. Assuming you have PHP installed on your server (most do these days), simply put the following into an index.php file and upload it to the www.sessions.ie/rebooth directory. <?php header('Location: http://yourlocation.com'); ?> Obviously replace the "http://yourlocation.com" with your destination URL. Hope this helps, Dan
  11. Or he could just use a much simpler online solution - what's the point of going through all that hassle just to achieve a goal that is already achievable?
  12. I think he means "out of the box" with regards to an open source or payware application readily available on the internet. For example Wordpress is an "out of the box" solution for a blog.
  13. An example of a valid swf embed: <embed src="player.swf" width="300" height="300" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=playlist.xml&autostart=true"/>
  14. It's quite harsh on the eyes, with the page split into two ends of the spectrum, a user will find it very difficult to focus on any one area of the page as our eyes adjust to view different contrasts. A page like this will cause the eyes to strain quite quickly causing the user to leave. Tough love Dan
  15. I wouldn't stare at it too long, I think it causes cancer of the eye
  16. oh my god! while viewing this page, my monitor actually started making buzzing noises - even todays LCD monitors can't cope!
  17. haha doesn't beat http://www.frnz.de/. That's just a classic
  18. I agree about the red hurting my eyes It is also proven to provoke angry thoughts in people so unless you want tonnes of angry clients? You also could pad out the content a bit more away from the edges and make the splatters cover the entire top edge of the content box. At the moment, it's splattered at the top but you can see that the box is over the top because of the straight edge visible between the splodges. Apart from that, bravo Dan
  19. Nice and clean although I agree with Sam about the colours, try a few bolder combinations. You could also style the form elements at the top of the page maybe giving them a subtle background colour and border other than white and grey (which doesn't look very clean on top of the cyan). The black text on the center section could also do with a colour change, maybe just a lighter shade of the cyan background - the black doesn't contrast enough and makes it look out of place. I like the big links at the bottom to your various profiles. Well done, Dan
  20. It would also be an improvement to make the portfolio urls into <a> tags so that users can click them. Nobody likes to copy and paste urls. As for the annoying dotted line that appears around links in Firefox: * { outline: none; } Overall, I like it although I think the header could have a bolder colour - make it stand out. It's 100% valid too which I wish I saw more of around the web these days. Bravo Dan
  21. My guess is we have another user that thinks that they can learn the complete skills of web design in under 10 minutes.
  22. ^not worth it and plus the content of the boxes wont be search engine friendly if inserted into a swf file.
  23. I think he's reffering to the quote he put under his post. For future reference, place a post quote above your own

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.