Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Transitioning an idea into a website

Featured Replies

Hi everyone.

 

I guess that these kind of messages are probably quite commonly received to web designers but I am a little bit stuck here. I don't believe I have a game changing idea for a website, I don't believe I have the next big thing, I do, however, believe I have an idea for a website/community that I would feel proud to own and give it my best shot to make it work.

 

I have no experience in web design and I keep telling myself I would like to start/get better, etc but then I find myself getting bored or completely lost when I try to watch youtube videos or read tutorials and I often wonder, is it really my cup of tea?

 

It's like I want the skills but not to the point I would give anything else up and concentrate my hardest to try and learn them, I don't know why this happens, but it does.

 

So, where do I go from here... I am looking to create a website with the similar interface to Pinterest, TheFancy, dribble.

 

Initially I want something as simple as people signing up with their Social network accounts or email addresses, they post a picture in the relevant category and they then await an email or message on the site. I don't really want to give away my actual idea/niche for the site but these are the features I need.

 

How much money does it take to set-up a website like this? Are there any shortcuts such as buying a theme for Wordpress, etc, or just generally, what is my best bet?

 

I am honestly not a leacher, I will be a part of ths community, but this is my current dilemma and I couldn't find a better place to post it than a web design forum. Be as brutally honest with me as possible, as I said, I am not in web design, I study Marketing.

 

Cheers.

 

I have no experience in web design and I keep telling myself I would like to start/get better, etc but then I find myself getting bored or completely lost when I try to watch youtube videos or read tutorials and I often wonder, is it really my cup of tea?

It's like I want the skills but not to the point I would give anything else up and concentrate my hardest to try and learn them, I don't know why this happens, but it does.

 

If you're getting bored this early on, then it's probably not for you.

 

I guess you could set something up using Wordpress and install a theme, but it's just going to feel like another Wordpress site with a generic template.

 

I completely agree with Jack; if you're getting bored at a stage where interest and desire should probably be high, then design isn't going to be for you.

 

Also, in addition to Jacks suggestion, you could just try speaking to people about your idea and take part in communities such as this one. You might meet people who are willing to help out and take on the aspects of your website that you cannot do yourself.

  • Author

Okay thanks. Yeah I thought that it is probably not for me. I really want it to excite me and I think it potentially could but I just have no idea where to start. When you Google how to learn web design or development the search results are just too overwhelming. Thanks for the advice lads.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.