Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

scaz182

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by scaz182

  1. ahh, I was hoping it wouldn't! Is that definite? Looks like I will have change my plans. thanks.
  2. Hi, Does anyone know the naming conventions regarding directories for both Windows and Linux? I need to find out if it is legal to use a full stop/period/"." in a directory name? Anyone know?
  3. Is this 'off the top of the head' stuff, cos it's definitely getting me started! I had managed to put the HTML source into a string ready to be parsed using file_get_contents(); which I should be able to do using the class you have directed me to. Just as you posted the above I was stuck on getting the filesize(); of an object...I was trying to use a URL for a good half hour so glad you mentioned that. Should be easy to copy that to the local then delete after obtaining the information I need. I have had a little experience with regular expressions but then my head started to hurt, but imagine I will be able to get through them if/when I need to. Thanks for your help!
  4. Hi people, I am have come across this website and am interested in creating a similar function to the webpage analyser which allows you to enter in a URL and gives feedback regarding the sites optimisation, partly to advance my PHP skills but also to add some of my own ideas to the concept! I was wondering if anybody knew what the 'scope' of a similar project would be? I have basic to intermediate PHP skills and am hoping to be able to produce something like this. Does anyone know how the program actually works out how much data is downloaded for a given website? Or how it gets access to the objects and their size within a page (e.g. images, CSS files etc.) Any insight would be a great help! Cheers Rich.
  5. Yeah I noticed the scroll wheel issue, I'm sure that will be introduced in a later release. All I need now is to be able to use mouse gestures, then it will make it as my main browser!
  6. Wow, I didn't think the difference would be this great, admitedly I've used it for no more than five minutes but it all seems so fast, I had no idea a browser could make this much difference! You can see the different processes in windows task manager for each tab (and chrome has it's own), I do wonder if this could end up hogging tons of memory though!
  7. here's a countdown to the download
  8. Yeah I usually use around 800-900px, that will accommodate people with 1024x768+ resolutions and shouldn't be too much of an issue for the odd persons with 800x600 res.
  9. By the sounds of it you are using both tables and "layers" for layout? There is no such thing as layers in the HTML standard and it is just what dreamweaver calls <div> tags. I really wouldn't recommend using tables within layers or vice versa using dreamweaver, you will end up with some hugely messy code and unexpected behaviour. If you have no experience with <div> tags and css I would recommend sticking with just tables in dreamweaver. Of course if your not using if for layout then somone might have a fix
  10. lol, yeah clearly not!
  11. Hi, Yeah thanks for mentioning it, I have always known some people have issues with the text in the left column! Are you on quite a low resolution monitor? It is something I have been meaning to address but I like the idea of having everything fixed apart from the main content in the right column. I've thought about simply using less line space within the left column or maybe shaving a bit off top of the banner to accommodate for it. I designed the site on a 1920x1200 res monitor which definitely has it's downfalls!
  12. Yeah I prefer your old design, the new one uses both rainbow colours and comic-sans which are both usually considered painful to look at!
  13. I agree with this^, it looks good but def use different colours! (think there might be too many colours used) I too read it as 'nio', perhaps you could differentiate the n from the 10 by making it smaller?
  14. Tis very true, but just nice to practice any SEO techniques regarding the design of a site!
  15. Just refreshed the site and think it looks a million times better with the fixed width, if you were still partial to a liquid layout to accommodate for those with massively low resolutions you could always include a 'max-width:(num_pixels)' attribute in the css instead of the fixed width so your site behaves something like this (if you make your browser window smaller you will notice the content accommodates like a liquid layout.) I think this is an ideal way to make use of widescreen monitors without getting people to read lines that are too long! I have seen some far better examples but can't think/find any at the min! I think the eye theme can work, people seem to love the whole eye image but I feel using a human eye works better than for example the, is it a cow or a horse eye? The cat eye works, but I don't think there are overly positive connotations associated with cow/horse eyes!
  16. I like the scrolling links (although they might not be so good for SEO) I'm still yet to give mootools a go, but like and have seen that effect a lot! I don't think the liquid layout is working or necessary. Are you working on a wide screen monitor as it all just seems a little stretched on mine...granted I'm viewing it on a 1920x1200 res monitor. I feel liquid layouts are only really useful if a site has a vast array of content such as IMDB or e-commerce sites like Amazon or Ebay. I hate having to read text that spans all the way across my monitor! If I reduce my window to a 5:4 resolution it all looks much more pleasing and readable, perhaps include a max-width property in CSS?
  17. Have you seen Wikia Search. Read about it here It genuinely looks like it could be on to something, as long as it doesn't become a haven for spam! Maybe not a google killer but definately stands more of a chance than the disappointing Culi which from what I can tell is a 'new concept' which "cleverly" lays out your search results in a slightly different manner! Any thoughts?
  18. scaz182 replied to som's topic in Frontend
    Na ah, <b> and <i> aren't deprecated tags, you can still validate XHTML 1.0 strict with them! I think their just 'frowned upon!' I think putting text in bold can also be useful for SEO purposes and it can be useful to refer to them in CSS instead of creating span's with an id or class for the smallest bits of text. Also you can even still use <big> and <small> Why anybody would I don't really know!
  19. I agree with this^ It's definitely better to start with a book, especially if you know little to nothing about programming. As Jamest said, just use the on-line material for reference and specifics once you've grasped the fundamentals.
  20. Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to remember that mysql_query() returns TRUE simply on success of sending! So I ended up going through the comments of that link you offered and this worked It involves setting CLIENT_FOUND_ROWS flag in mysql_connect() which from what I can tell means mysql_affected_rows() will return greater than 0 simply if it has found a match and not only if it has actually changed a record. Cheers for your help!
  21. ahh yeah you guys are probably right in that it does over_ride it but as Mihai suggests mysql_affected_rows() understandably returns a 0 because nothing is actually changed. It was such a long time ago I wrote the code that I didn't check that. I've tried doing what this guy suggests here but am unable to test it as my server is currently down, which also means I cannot show you the query code as it is dynamically created. I will do so when it's back up! Also can someone tell me what the difference between checking mysql_affected_rows() and simply checking whether the variable that ran the query is TRUE e.g. $result = @mysql_query($query); if ($result) { ehco "query succesful"; } as appose to if (mysql_affected_rows() == 1) { echo "query successful"; }
  22. Hi people, I am having a bit of an issue with an UDATE query using mySQL. I have a from where the user can change any of the content of a record in my database, obviously it does this using an UPDATE query. The trouble is sometimes the user won't actually change any of the content in the database so the update query will be over writing the record with the same information and it doesn't like this and tells me there is an error in my query! Is there a way around this? The reason the update may be the same as the existing information within the database is because the form may be used to upload an image with the same name as the image name already stored in the database (and if the image has the same name, along with every other field, then it will cause an error in my query) I don't think I've explained this very well but if anybody has any clue as to what I'm going on about it would be much appreciated!
  23. It's rubbish...so far! Gave it a quick go this morning and it often came back with hugely irrelevant results! They claim it has a larger index size than google at 120 billion web pages but google stopped disclosing the number of sites it indexes years back so there is no real proof! maybe it will pick up, I don't know? oh and here's the link Cuil I think pronounced 'cool'

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.