Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

scaz182

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by scaz182

  1. Noooo! It's definitely a bad idea to get a console, I bought a PS3 about a month ago, It took up far too much of my time! I went that month without doing any web related work, it proved difficult coming back to half finished projects after that amount of time! Yeeah, PSN ID = ritch182
  2. scaz182 replied to Cabbage's topic in General Chat
    Yes! Us Brits have it hard, we have to be built for all extremes of temperature, I can't take this heat man!
  3. I like Dell, for the value you get compared to other companies as well as the ability to customise your machine!
  4. I would recommend making sure you know the fundamentals of HTML and CSS before you learn PHP though! also the PHP includes statements could be used before any real programming is learnt, there are plenty of simple tutorials online.
  5. You use HTML to create the content of your webpages, you use CSS to create the layout and style of your pages, and you can use PHP includes to avoid redundancy of code such as headers, navigation menus, footers etc. (which your right, makes updating those sections far easier as you only have to update one file). If you don't want to use PHP you can also use SSI (server side include statements) which most servers have installed.
  6. Bebo and MySpace don't create a new page in the directory for every member! They do it how I tried to explain in my first post. Every member is simply a record in a database.
  7. scaz182 replied to Kayleigh_J's topic in Hardware
    Maybe one of these would work? Although I don't see how the digital signal from DVI can be sent to an analogue VGA connector without converting the signal at some point. Also you can get VGA splitters which may allow you to use both screens but will only allow you to clone not extend your monitor.
  8. mmm I think one of us is getting the wrong end of the stick, I thought Mark wanted to be able to fill out a form then have it become a permanent page with information on much like what WordPress offers. If it's a contact form like you say then no I definitely wouldn't use a database.
  9. You would have to use PHP or the like with a database. Each record in a database would be a page so would include the main content, title, etc. You would need to create a form which would insert the contents of the form into the database which then becomes a 'page' You then use PHP to extract the information out of the database in whatever format you want your pages to be in. You would also have to get it to spit out a link for everyone of the pages (records) created. Try using WordPress and analysing the database that creates.
  10. I've always been in the practice of linking to a copy of my clients website hosted on the same server as my portfolio, this offers a number of advantages including: - Not having to worry about your link becoming a reciprocal link, - Doesn't matter if their server goes down as you have your own copy, - It could help with SEO as your site will have more pages to get indexed (this is definitely speculation by me), - You won't be obscuring your clients web stats because of people visiting from your site! Of course this might not be such a good idea if the site you have built is often updated by the client resulting in a constant change of content.
  11. Yes, sorry I normally do write the solution! Your right Mihai, it was an issue with the file path, or at least how I built the file path using various variables (I guess that's about all that can go wrong!) for those that don't know how the unlink(); function works it's pretty straight forward: $file_path = 'directory/filename'; unlink($file_path); This will delete whichever file the $file_path points to. lol looking at that it couldn't be easier!
  12. I think WDF can be bad for me, at every hurdle I immediately jump the gun and come to the forum for advice, before I thoroughly research the issue myself! Well, I've managed to sort it now cheers!
  13. Hi, I am having trouble using PHP to delete a file on my server. I have used the move_uploaded_file(); function to upload an image to a folder. I now need for people to be able to delete the image. I have read that the unlink(); function should do the job but I cannot work out how? Anybody know? Cheers Rich.
  14. Have you thought about using the Iphone as navigation, could be really good in flash (just like the real Iphone interface?
  15. No you don't, All you need to do is provide a link to the file on the server using the <a> tag and the browser will automatically detect it and allow it to be downloaded and either saved or opened!
  16. Yeah that should definately work without the spaces, as long as the word doc is in the same directory as the html file of course!
  17. YEAH, I found the solution. I'm almost certain no1 cares but one day someone might want the answer so... Turns out the $_FILES array will return $_FILES['name']['size'] as 0 if nothing is entered into the HMTL upload form. meaning that my validation just checks that. You can also use $_FILES['name']['tmp_name'] which returns 'none' Cheers anyway ElanMan
  18. Yeah online tutorials can be good and I too recommend starting with a book to get a solid foundation with PHP. I've been working my way through this book. (well, the previous edition) As long as you know HTML and a bit of CSS all should be good!
  19. Yeah I have and to no avail! isset() and empty() are the only functions I know of that should work but guttingly they don't!
  20. mmm, I have never really thought about separating format and layout into different style sheets although that could prove relieving for the painful times I've had going back through my CSS and trying to work out what does what! By seperating format and layout do you mean having one style sheet for changing things like font, font style, font size etc? and another for position and floats etc? My style sheets always start off neat and concise but as I get more and more into the development I end up just latching arbitrary bits of code onto the end of the document
  21. Anyone? This one is killing me! (and I'm incredibly impatient!)
  22. Hi people, I am trying to perform a simple validation on my form. I have a couple of input boxes such as 'title:', 'description:' etc. I check to see if the user has filled these in using a simple empty() function: if (empty($_POST['title'])) { echo "You did not enter a title"; } This works fine and will display the error text if the input box has not been filled in. I now need to do the same sort of validation for two fields which are file upload inputs. I have tried the same but the empty() function doesn't appear to detect whether an upload field is empty or not! Can anybody help me with this one? Cheers
  23. It's got to be FF3 just because of the computational price your paying with FF2, FF2 is mental if you have a number of tabs open.
  24. What would I need to do this using an analogue signal?
  25. Hi people, Most problems I have revolve around Web Design (that sounds incredibly sad doesn't it!) which means I can almost always get an answer by coming here! I now have an issue relating to my laptop and a Playstation 3. I have just bought a PS3, clearly for GTA and want to hook it up to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1720) in high definition as I am currently running it on a daewoo(yes I thought they made cars not TV's to) 12" TV/Video combo from the 90's which just isn't doing it justice! Does anybody know of a way to do this, or if it cannot be done in HD if it can be done in any other quality? & if nobody does know, do you know/use a decent tech forum that might be able to answer this question? Any help would be much appreciated!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.