Everything posted by scaz182
-
Validation Problem
Thanks for the tip but that doesn't seem to have solved it. I don't think that space is actually a requirement as such for XHTML. I just can't work out what is causing the error! I've checked my opening and closing elements, they appear to be fine...
-
Validation Problem
Hi people, I have all pages but one validating on this website, and I can't for the life of me work out what the w3c error msgs are trying to tell me? Has anyone got any ideas? Cheers Rich
-
Html Form Help?
Thanks AJReading, That is definately getting me closer to what I need. (I'm definately goin to have to teach mysel JavaScript!) here is a link to my page There are still a couple of problems I'm having: 1) It only disables one of the radio buttons in the set? 2) It doesn't appear to work with any browser bar IE? Anymore help would be so appreciated! EDIT: I have also just noticed that because I use sticky form elements the function can turn off the radio buttons when the check box is selected and submitted, so I'm not sure I can use this method?
-
Html Form Help?
Hi, thanks for your help, but I can't see for the life of me what that does? I have very little experience with JavaScript, could you possibly explain it a little? I have done a little research into how to 'grey out' form elements and this can be done like this: <input type="radio" name="fountain" disabled /> The 'disabled' part greys it out. I think what I need is some JavaScript that goes a little like this: if (checkbox1 == checked) { variable1 = "disabled" } else { variable1 = "" } then this would be the HTML <input type="radio" name="fountain" <script type="text/javascript">print variable1</script> /> At least that is how I would do it in PHP, but of course it will need to be done 'live' so I need to use JavaScript, anybody got any thoughts?
-
Html Form Help?
Hi, I am currently making a form for a website where I need users to be able to check a checkbox and then have a group of radio buttons become available to them. e.g. they select that they want a particular item (through a checkbox), then they select the quantity through a group of radio buttons & if the item is not selected I want the radio buttons to be greyed out. so essentially I want a check box to activate a group of radio buttons when checked, and grey them out when unchecked. I hope this is making sense as it's become really difficult to find anything on google because I don't know if there is a name for what I'm trying to do? Does anybody A.) know what I'm attempting to explain and B.) know how this could be done? Cheers Rich
-
12 Hours Looking At A Site
yay, other people get this too! I often design something in Photoshop, start to like it but after another hour or so working on it I begin to either get bored or discover how naff it is. It's even worse if you take it to the coding stages then have the urge to redo it all. Thats why I like using the website review and feedback section on here, as fresh eyes can reveal a good design from a poor one. But I do agree that time away from it does greatly help!
-
Please Review My Website.
I like it, whilst maybe a little dark it is still nice. How did you create the slide transitions?
-
Need Opinions/advice
I've implemented a few of your suggestions, I wish I could start the design from scratch, but I just don't have the time! After trying it on other screens I see what you mean about the 'fleshy' colour, I need to be using a more 'true' colour monitor. So I've changed the background slightly, it's still lighter than the original because the client wanted it that way. I've changed the nav roll over to white, any better? Oh and yeah I know about the problems on IE6, I will eventually create a separate style sheet to be used with that. Also that will allow me to change all the .png files with .gif's or jpegs etc.
-
Logo Feedback
I think it works rather well!
-
Need Opinions/advice
just though I would show people the coded site. It's pretty similar to the original Jpeg I know, but my deadline was creeping up on me and I needed to get a coded version up and running. Would be great if you could throw your opinions at it, obviously the text content isn't correct, but it's just there for demonstrative purposes. here's the link. Cheers
-
Incorporate A Blog In My Website?
Thanks Elanman!, Yeh, it's designed that way. The left column is supposed to be fixed, the idea is that it only contains a small bit of content and stays within the viewport. I have noticed that on low resolution screens it can cut off slightly. Out of interest what resolution screen did you use to view it? Maybe I need an 'if' statment to change the CSS of that column from fixed to absolute if the left column is over a certain length (don't really know how I would do that tho?) I guess it's not a good idea to design my sites on a 1920*1200 laptop. was probably a mistake to buy this lol.
-
Incorporate A Blog In My Website?
Thanks for you help people. I've installed WordPress and turned my original site into a theme for it. It's worked pretty well, there's still a few things I want to play with but it's up and running now! my blog
-
Php
Thanks for testing, well I'm glad you can't find any problems, hopfully it's just my browser. Yeh I too have noticed that the 'save file' dialog box problem only appears to happen after long uses of firefox. Although I still frequently get problems by which the page does not display on first attempt (even though it says 'done') and requires a refresh. Would it be possible for anybody else to test it? Thinking back, this problem may have only started to occur since using an IE6 'if' statement to change the stylesheet.
-
Incorporate A Blog In My Website?
Thanks for the advice. I'm installing wordpress as we speak, then I guess it's a case of creating a theme. I'll let you know how I get on. just out of interest whats the diffrence between wordpress and something as simple as blogger? they do similar things don't they, is it mainly just that wordpress runs with your own database and server and you can fully customise the look? Cheers again Rich
-
Incorporate A Blog In My Website?
Hi people, I have seen many websites which have blogs incorporated into them so the blog has the same design and branding as the rest of the site. I wondered if anybody knows how to go about something like that? I wanted to include a link on My Website which would go to another page (with the same look and layout) that uses a blog engine. I've heard it can also be good for SEO due to the frequency blogs are updated. Anyone got any advice?
-
Need Advice On Website Design
Hi, I think the site is looking good, although I agree with the above people about the padding. Also I feel the content could be pushed up to the top (just under the banner) looks a little out of place at the mo. I also think you should change the font style and size used on the links and footer, rosewood is quite a stylised font and is a difficult font to make work. Part from that, I think it's looking rather good. Rich
-
Php
Hi, I've had this site up and running for a month or so now & it has come to my attention that when I visit the site (especially from a link but not exclusive to) it often says done at the bottom of my browser and displays nothing. It only takes a refresh for it to fix itself but I am interested as to why it does this. I believe it to only occur in firefox but I haven't tested other browsers enough to be sure. Another problem firefox produces involves a page being served as a download rather than HTML, as in it displays the save to disk box rather than displaying the page as HTML when a link is clicked. The trouble with this problem is it has no pattern to it and can occasionally be hard to reproduce (i recommend repeatedly switching from page to page in firefox). All my pages use php include statements which I feel may be causing the issue. I wondered a. if anybody else can reproduce the problem on their computer (I know I've done it both at home and at uni) & b. if anybody knows why this happens and how to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated. oh and here's the link
-
Voiceover Site (columns problem..)
You could put this in your CSS: div#footer { position:fixed; bottom:0px; } that should keep the footer stuck to the bottom of the viewport no matter how much content. although I should point out that the link isn't working so I could be getting the wrong end of the stick. ****just noticed how old the original post is sorry****
-
Hi People
lol, yeah dunno how they get away with it! I would'nt get me started on my course, they started to teach me frames a few months ago and said not to spend to much time learning CSS as it won't be in the exam, it's 2008 man! Cheers for all your greetings!
-
Need Opinions/advice
HAHA, I had been staring at that image for hours and not once did that crop up in my mind, but now it's all changed. I wish i could say I intended to give people that thought lol. jus thought I let you know it is only a mock design in photoshop (no code at the min so text will be text etc.) Thanks for all your feedback these forum thingys are really useful. I've sent my client a jpg of it with a few amendments that people suggested, I'll post a link to the coded site in a week or so (if your interested). thanks again.
-
Need Opinions/advice
HAHA, I had been staring at that image for hours and not once did that crop up in my mind, how it has changed. I wish i could say I intended to give people that thought lol. Thanks for all your feedback these forum thingys are really useful. I've sent my client a jpg of it with a few amendments that people suggested, I'll post a link to the coded site in a week or so (if your interested). thanks again.
-
Need Opinions/advice
Hi people, I've recently discovered that I cannot make this design work. I don't know if it's cos I have been staring at this one for the best part of a day and I'm bored with it or if it is truly rubbish. Would be great if people could i) give me their opinion & ii) give me some advice/tips/help/pointers/motivational comments and the like. Cheers. (design attached)
-
Hi People
Hi, I always use forums but never join (wat an arse huh?) so now I've joined. I'm a Uni student from the UK, burning money on a ridiculously useless course in web design. I learn next to nothing on my course which is ultimately what brings me here. I've taught myself XHTML and CSS pretty proficiently and am now working through a PHP & MySQL book. here's my website which I'm still currently working on getting indexed with google (I say working on, but I really have no idea how to) I hope to be able to better my knowledge and learn from this community aswell as throw some of my learnings into the mix. Hope to speak with you soon.
-
Need Opinions/advice
Hi people, I've recently discovered that I cannot make this design work. I don't know if it's cos I have been staring at this one for the best part of a day and I'm bored with it or if it is truly rubbish. Would be great if people could i) give me their opinion & ii) give me some advice/tips/help/pointers/motivational comments and the like. Cheers. (design attached) ****sorry jus realised this is in the worng forum, i'll move it to the correct one****