Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Design Fan

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Design Fan

  1. I believe a degree is not necessary for becoming a web designer. I started designing way before even joining a uni degree program. BUT the thing is a degree can teach you stuff. Lots of useful stuff which may or may not be related to your field. But the problem with university degrees is that it depends on the university standards and your teachers whether they are experienced or not and do they keep themselves up to date or not. As for jobs like pointed above employers would prefer a professional with a degree over one whom doesn't have one.
  2. My suggestions 1) I like your menu style. But i guess it shouldn't scroll the entire page down. I'd rather prefer it to show over the page. 2) The logo actually is way off the content, it'd be better to bring it in line with the content (your pic). and a little bit lower so that it doesn't get covered when the menu shows. 3) make the clock a bit smaller and below the menu button. It's be nice to keep the logo and the clock in the same line below the menu. 4) The useful links, don't work for me at all. When I hover over them they disappear for about 3 seconds. I am using chrome on windows 7 to view them. 5) The tweet about this bird should be roughly the same size as the icons on the left. 6) the text on the side of the pic, It's edges are all jagged and messed up for me. 7) There is too much space below the brown texture, I'd suggest reducing the space Well those were my suggestions.
  3. Do you have a live link?? Or just upload all the folders and files in a zip file.
  4. I guess BBC don't have a lot of options. They have a lot of content and little space to put it. If they had lesser content then I guess eye candy would have been possible. As for the rest of websites, this web 2.0 thing is screwing everyone up Eye candy is a necessary evil especially for regular visitors, they don't care about how you get it done but if it shows up properly for them then you as a web designer have done your job well
  5. .top { background:url(../images/IMAGENAME.EXT) no-repeat; } I guess this is what you should add, just change the inage name with extension to the original file name.
  6. Try this: <th style="background-image:url("YOUR_URL");"> If you could post the source code it would have helped
  7. I use it to create a personal website where I'd upload scripts and all that I create.
  8. Design Fan replied to Vulcan's topic in Frontend
    #container{ width: 980px; height: auto; background: #fff; } This would make the background white.
  9. It depends on your interest. If you are more towards the designing side then JavaScript it is. But if you love to program and are more oriented towards development then PHP is the next step.
  10. I personally hate apple products, but I really love their website. It is awesome. Simplicity in a website is the best design ever. They have so much content but the minimalist interface makes it a pleasure
  11. That website is a punishment for the eye. But it is a proof that content is king.
  12. Check this
  13. You can position them absolutely and change their positions but it is not a good idea to go with that
  14. I don't work as a free lancer but I have seen a serious drop in IT openings since 2008. It is still a pretty bad market.
  15. I learnt the divs thing from w3schools.com you have to change the CSS for the background color to black.
  16. Your JavaScript is totally messed up.
  17. Remove everything below the <!-- #switcher --> on line 137 till the </body></html> tags.
  18. HomePage First of all the homepage took ages to load. The images have an average file size of 1.5 mb I had to reload the page once so that the images load properly, they were not properly loaded the first time and parts of them were missing and the previous image could be seen while the animation. I got the white lines too which got fixed by zooming but there is a catch to that. When I zoom in the background color changes to black, I guess that hides the white lines. Btw out of all the css links only one worked for me. Every other stylesheet gave me a 404. <link rel="stylesheet" href="../nivo-slider/nivo-slider.css" type="text/css" media="screen" /> Since you are using a table for structuring the content, which I guess is not a good idea in itself. Try adding the following to your CSS table{border-spacing:0px;} About Me I got the white space too, I guess it's from the padding of the frame or the margins of the image itself.It is better to remove the frame itself. Services Umm I don't know from where you are gonna load pages into it but as a temp solution why not load a sample page which has a black background in the frame. Contacts zed already pointed out the div tag which aligns everything in the center.
  19. @Dexter I said title and meta tags are good FOR KEYWORDS. Of course content is the king.
  20. I am using a mobile browser, and it showed me the regular arial font.
  21. I think the most important thing is the title tag and the meta tag for key words.
  22. 1) I guess the best way is by CSS. Use floats. 2) I couldn't get this one. Are you using images for the text??

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.