Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Tucker

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tucker

  1. I think that's something to do with them learning which words get through, and which words don't, but i'm no expert.
  2. I've seen stats reporting stuff like this plenty. What ErisDS said is true, if you are on a site and then you type in another or follow a bookmark, your previous site can sometimes be passed as a referer on certain servers/stats software/browsers..
  3. Oh yeah and i'm using 1680x1050 which is quite common now if you ask me. I also know plenty that use 1920x1200 and some even higher so it's best to avoid this type of Y only repeat.
  4. Ahh i'm using IE6 mate, can't really say without playing about with it on IE7. Looking at the source i see 2 end body and html tags, so i'd fix those to begin with. Your footer is 5em high, so you probs need to add margin or padding to the bottom of the div above the footer to prevent this.
  5. Either you've fixed it or you're not on IE/FF on PC. It looks fine to me. Btw I can see the plain white of your page body because your background is only 1600px wide.
  6. I'd strongly suggest getting links from sites you know have been spidered by Google.
  7. I haven't looked at your CSS, but at first glance it looks like your 2 columns are using float left which is fine, but they need to be cleared for the surrounding div to continue to display. A simple work around for this type of problem is to put an empty div that is full width, with clear: left inside the div that is ending early, after the 2 floated columns.
  8. You should be using: font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; The css you're using is the shorthand, so could replace several lines e.g. h3 { font:18px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color:white; background-color:#666666; text-align:left; }
  9. I use Cute for any major FTP work and Dreamweaver's site manager for the file manager on the right and quick FTP. It's not temperamental, it's consistant that I have to wait 20 seconds to edit a site!
  10. Ahh yes of course! Feel a tad embarassed now, will investigate..
  11. Does it really matter what we use to seperate words in URLs? I have an ongoing debate with a client, telling me he wants to use hyphens instead of pluses to seperate words. From what i've read Google will treat a hyphen as a seperator but couldn't really find anything on pluses. What I do know is that a plus is the equivanlent of a space in a URL, so why not use it?
  12. Tucker replied to Seth's topic in Website Hosting
    Can i just point at that this is what i thought was a UK forum, and you're talking about american hosts. In my experience it's best not to host your websites in a different country to that you live in. I had a client use an american host because they were cheap, and I found FTP painfully slow. As for overselling, I don't really think it's a problem. Does anyone really believe unlimited claims? It's the same with unlimited broadband, if you have it maxed 24/7 your ISP will pull out the fair usage policy.
  13. Hey mate, Looks really good overall, although I have a few comments: - Your header is very strong, possibly a bit too dominating, and I would personally change it from a GIF to a png, or a combination of jpg/png to prevent dottyness. - Your navigation is a bit week, took me a while to notice it. - I don't like the right hand column "Latest Work", it gives the feeling of all pages being the same. Maybe make it smaller and less prominent, or look different in some way! - Your overall text/heading could be funkier.
  14. Can't see how anyone accessing one of my config files would be a problem. If you're not outputting anything then there's nothing to worry about!
  15. Can't believe it's not called an iTV..
  16. Hey ppl, after having to change an FTP password on around 25 sites in dreamweaver this started to make me a little crazy! As the topic says, when I go Manage Sites > Edit i get a 20 second delay where Dreamweaver basically freezes before I can edit settings. I've just tried this 3 times in a row, and each time it's always 20 seconds, quite a coincidence. I was just curious if you guys have come across this, it occured on Dreamweaver CS2 and now still on CS3 on both of my pcs and laptop. All my pcs are dual core intel chips, running XP. Cheers
  17. Alright mate. You need to do an onchange event on the select tag which calls a function to show or hide 2 divs based on the selected value. Something like: Javascript function: <script type="text/javascript"> function showDiv(id) { if (id == 1) { document.getElementById('div1').style.display = 'block'; document.getElementById('div2').style.display = 'none'; } else { document.getElementById('div1').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('div2').style.display = 'block'; } } </script> HTML Code <select name="select" id="select" onchange="showDiv(this.value);"> <option value="1">Option 1</option> <option value="2">Option 2</option> </select> <div id="div1"> Div Area 1 </div> <div id="div2"> Div Area 2 </div> It's a simple way to do it if you only have 2 options. If you have more options I would use the value of the option as the div id. You would need a function to hide all, call that and then show the one that is selected.
  18. Hi Thomas, Nah i need a SUB script 2, e.g. co2, and there doesn't appear to be an ascii code associated with it
  19. I'm trying to get my php generated PDF to show a subscript 2, has anyone ever done this? I thought at first it was just a case of inserting the correct character, but the font i'm using (arial) only has the superscript 2. It's driving my client mad since they can't understand why i can't do something they can do in word
  20. Site looks good mate, i like teh pink One suggestion would be to dump the js files into the footer (before body ends), and to remove the 2nd body start tag!
  21. Tucker replied to a post in a topic in Frontend
    I know you said no JS, but this is a cool method: Mootools Accordion BTW, what's your reason for not wanting to use JS? The only time I avoid it is critical navigation and error checking.
  22. Nice advice guys! I'm thinking of doing the same, and i've been trading 3 months lol. After reading this I think I might be a bit cheap at £25ph, what do most of you programmers charge? Maybe it depends on your area..
  23. That product looks decent enough, although i'd have a thorough look at the online demo and admin areas before even considering it. Make 100% sure your hosting platform can run it properly too. A grey area i've always found with ecom sites is who will be adding in the products. This can honestly break you if it hasn't been agreed up front. If you are adding products, make sure you state your maximum, and terms thereafter. SEO wise, i would always cost this as an extra. The site will be search engine friendly if the software is any good, which means in the most part you won't have to do very much SEO on site. As for your price, depends how much you're offering, but £3500-£5000 is the sort of cost of a fairly comprehensive custom CMS (from your average web comp.), so IMO you're well over pricing it. You also can't factor in that the client may be make profit from the site, how can you really justify that? What i tend to do with an unknown timescale project is think about all the little things you have to do to make it work, exaggerate them in terms of time, tally up hours and then double it. If you come up with a realistic figure then go for it, there's no guaranteed way to get the quote right, but since it's your first time it wouldn't hurt you to break even/make a small loss as you're gaining experience..
  24. To receive a BACS payment you just need an account number and sort code, it really is the best way to get payed. Usuaully takes around 3 days, anyone with online banking should be able to pay like this.
  25. Tucker replied to *kenv's topic in Server Side
    Ahh ok sorry, a boolean is a true or false variable. I would use something like a TINYINT(1) and set it to 0 (false) or 1 (true). Without seeing your class and editRow function, i couldn't tell you what's wrong. I don't know the structure of your table either but your query would be something like: mysql_query("UPDATE messages SET read=1 WHERE id=" . mysql_real_escape_string($_GET['id'])); Hope that helps..

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.