Everything posted by Cats Corporation
-
Gaaah, don't you just hate...
I registered this domain "globalprimeproperties.net", but later, I decided to let it go because the client does not like long email addresses. A month after I gave it up, some moron emailed me about buying globalprimeproperties.com. He provided instructions on how to contact him through fax and phone only. I tried to reply with an email, with some nasty words in it, but then I received a MAILER DAEMON, as if the email that the moron used to contact me does not exist. Domain parkers are the second nastiest thing in the internet, next to spammers. But then, some are both spammers and domain parkers.
-
Your forum name
I was kinda confused when I was signing-up. I was being asked for a log-in name AND a username. My log-in name is neko_zaibatsu, neko is the Japanese word for cat, while zaibatsu is vaguely synonymous to a big corporation in anime and games (e.g. Mishima Zaibatsu from Tekken). This is in reference to my (now closed) online shop which I named after the Japanese good luck cat, the manekineko. Then, when there is another entry for username, I thought it is something that I can change anytime, so I translated neko zaibatsu to English.... Hence Cat's Corporation. It's too late when I found out that I can no longer change it. I was planning to abandon this account and sign-up with the name that I used in other bulletin boards, but then, I was already elevated to "dedicated member", so I decided to keep this account. ... and no... I'm not Japanese, just an Otaku.
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
Suggestion noted! My only problem is when some people here give short abstract comment without providing a solution or explanation. It was like "your work sucks!" without suggesting what can be done to make it less sucky or explaining what are the works that sucks and works that does not suck. But maybe it's just personality difference, because when I make a comment on other websites, I tend to be detailed and specific. css mania? Is this a website?
-
Optimizing for Yahoo and MSN. Is it worth it?
Cats Corporation replied to Cats Corporation's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesSeth>> I read somewhere that yahoo based their SERP ranking on the actual number of inbound links. From my experience, this seems to be the case. One of my clients can consistently top google, while a competitor consistently top yahoo. When I examined the competitor's backlinks, it's around 2000 inbound links, mostly coming from forums and blog comment posts. Spamming forums and blogs is one of the things that I hate doing (I tried it a few weeks back, but it only caused me headache) so I guess I could not win on yahoo. bluedreamer>> Thanks for that reference material. I'll check it out later.
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
I don' get it. How come my design would look "old" or "90's" when I am using CSS layout, and you can also check the XHTML and CSS validator at the bottom. Where can I find a reference material saying "these are the characteristics of a website that looks old" and "these are the designs that look modern and professional"? Thanks for your opinions anyway, but would it be nice if your criticism is something that is constructive (i.e. something that actually suggests a solution) instead of abstract, vague and debatable phrases with no explanation? --------- To ITlocal, ErisDS, bluedreamer, Acuity, wizely>> Thanks for your suggestions!
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
ErisDS>> Since you like the footer section, this gives me the idea that perhaps, I should remove the bevel header and replace it with something similar to the footer section. Then remove those prominent yellow on green background as page navigation (and replace them with something else). But then, I have no idea on what can replace the bevel on top of the navigation if I have to change it. Thanks! Design is an art form? Hmmm! This is why I removed the term "website designer" from my business cards. I'm not really an art person. Once my business expanded sufficiently, the first two persons that I would hire will be a graphic designer and a writer, while I myself would focus on development, coding and SEO. wizely>> Hi! Remember that I told you that I downloaded your tutorials and saved them. I tried to modify my articles based on your tips but I was not satisfied with my revisions based on your tips. Personally, I am not really an emotional person. When I write with emotion/personality/intrigue/etc, it feels like I am not being myself. Hence, I decided that as long as my articles are organized and have correct grammar, then it should be fine. Thanks! bluedreamer>> Your tip # 3 is one of the first thing that came to my mind when I noticed it. But I decided against it because, anyway, they are located at the bottom. Ok! I'll remove them now. Thanks!
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
ErisDS>> Hi! Thanks for moving this topic. Personally, I am not a fun of wide navigation. when I submitted this site for review a few months back, I received comments like "bored", "low level" and various negativities. Then I saw the websites of some of the more established website developers (individuals and companies) who use wide navigations, so I decided to revamp my entire website and made a similar design. And now, google analytics is telling me that people don't stay that long in my website. I've learned CSS layout, I learned W3C standards, I learned SEO, I learned how to make websites compatible with several browsers, and yet it seems that I'm still not good in website design. I tried to google "What constitutes a beautiful website?" but I could not find an answer. He he he! Sorry for the rant. Thanks for your tip. Perhaps I'll narrow my site navigation by 1/3 and relocate the page menu on a separate horizontal navigation where the search field is currently situated. Acuity >> Hi there! Thanks for your tip. Perhaps, I need to add more articles so that internal referencing like that would be feasible.
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
MolotovRuss>> Huh! very aged? ITlocal>> Hi! I just checked it. It seems to be not bad. Most of those bouncing rates actually came from searches that were mentioned only in the passing in my articles, such as "700 pixel layout". Perhaphs I need to add those articles that I promised I will write, but not yet posted. Ben> Thanks for moving this topic.
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
Thanks ITlocal! How am I suppose to do that? As I said, I'm new to Google analytics.
-
I just tried Google Analytics: My rate sucks. Please help!
I am not sure if I should post it here or in Google forum, but since I will be asking what's wrong with my website, I might as well ask it here. My bounce rate is on average 77.81% and the average time visitors stays on my website is just 1 minute and 19 seconds. I could not tell what's wrong with my site. Is this perfectly normal? BTW here's my website: http://seoframes.com I already revised my template since the last time I posted this website for review. Thank you!
-
Optimizing for Yahoo and MSN. Is it worth it?
Cats Corporation replied to Cats Corporation's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesIt seems that the majority concensus is to not bother with Yahoo and MSN. Great! First I gave up building backlinks from rel=follow forums, and now I am giving up yahoo and MSN. Perhaps I need to learn some other stuff to improve my skills in SEO.
-
Intensive internal linking. Please help me organize my science blog
Thanks bluedreamer>> It's non for profit for now, because I simply want to have a place on the net where I can store my lecture notes and share it to "fellow" teachers (I'm not teaching this year). But I plan to put some ads there and earn from those ads when it already contains certain amount of lectures. I guess that would count as "for profit".
-
Do people worry too much about SEO?
Cats Corporation replied to BlueDreamer's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesHa ha ha! I can relate! I became almost inactive in this forum when I began searching for forums with signature enable, high PR and has no rel=nofollow in links. I was hoping to increase my site and my client's sites google PR by posting here and there. Even though what I post in those other forum makes sense, it's such a headache if you are expecting too much about SEO and very disappointing when you don't see your page rank changing! Hence, I decided to revert to the old approach, which actually works in most cases (except for the overly competitive industries) . The only SEO work that I will do are on-page SEO. I will no longer post here and there just to increase page rank. I'll post only to advertise. Worry only causes headache... and as they say, work smart is better than work hard.
-
Intensive internal linking. Please help me organize my science blog
Hi Elan, I am not sure about using wikis. In general, I find their design boring and I'm more focused on building content rather than learn new CMS. Please check http://science.greten.info to see what I mean. As you can see, several articles are cross linked to each other. Since there are only few articles, I can easily link them to each other. However, I was affraid that if this blog grows in content, I will not be able to keep track of which article need to link to what article. My temporary solution is to underline the phrases that would eventually become links to articles that I will write in the future. But I am not sure if it's a good idea. Thank you ---- Hi Acuity From what I read, it seems that the pluggin generates a list in your blog that includes all related entries. I don't think that's what I am looking for. Thank you
-
Obama or McCain?
I was hoping before that Hilary Clinton would win over Obama, and eventually win the presidential race. She voted in favor of giving the benefits of Filipino soldiers who fought in the American Army during WWII but were subsequently denied of those benefits. Obama and McCain, on the other hand, abstained from voting on this issue. But then, it's now Obama vs McCain. I choose neither of them. Well, not that I get to vote in that country.
-
Intensive internal linking. Please help me organize my science blog
I am planning to setup this blog that basically contains lessons on Physics, Chemistry, Geology and Astronomy: http://science.greten.info As you can see, there is only one article. Actually, I already wrote several articles but they are still in word documents. I was planning to organize this blog so that some of the important terms that plays a minor role in an article will have another article dedicated to explain those terms. For example, one of the articles that I already finished (but not yet posted) is about "scalar and vector quantities". The examples of scalar given are distance, mass and temperature. The examples of vector are displacement and velocity. Here's my plan; each of these examples are linked to the article dedicated in explaining them. I already wrote the articles for displacement, distance and velocity. But it might take months before I can write the article about temperature. My problem is this, should I put some sort of marker, let's say an underline. to tell my viewers that the underlined word would have an article dedicated for it in the future. Science is a really wide topic, and I was hoping to setup this blog like wikipedia, wherein several pages are interlinked to one another.
-
Good examples of SEO
Now this confirms my suspicion that google tends to localize the search even if you do not click the option "pages from <your country>". The websites http://www.calmbanana.co.uk/ and http://www.wineware.co.uk/ apparently do not top google when I do the search.
-
Optimizing for Yahoo and MSN. Is it worth it?
Cats Corporation replied to Cats Corporation's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesYes I understand that. That is why when I do SEO, I do not really aim for a high traffic, but for traffic from searches from people who are more likely to do what the client want... be in to buy the product, avail the service, invest, etc. However, despite this strategy, I still cannot manage to get on top of Yahoo and MSN. But I can top Google SERP.
-
How do i make my website not look like a blog
I don't see anything wrong if your website looks like a blog. Afterall, what is a blog? It's just one kind of website. But perhaps, you should consider surfing different gaming websites. You will notice that most gaming websites are graphic intensive. Meaning, you might spend more time with photoshop than with encoding your pages.
-
open in new window...or not
Usually, the links to other site are set to open to a new window, while internal links are set to open in the same window. This is the only way I can tell an average net whether or not a webpage is still part of the same website or a totally different website (at least, that's the only way I can think of). I do not like the idea of adding that little arrow thing that they use in wikipedia. In my blog that contains web design tutorials, sample webpages opens in a new window. At first, I was undecided in the case of non-htm file such as doc and pdf, but reading your posts here, perhaps I should also make them open in a new window. As for thumbnails. There is this ajax script that enables you to see the larger image at the center of the window while blurring/darkening the rest of the webpage. You can see how it works in my online store http://neko.greten.info. My only problem with this script is that the separate css file (used only for this trick, not for the webpage) fails the W3C test.
-
Optimizing for Yahoo and MSN. Is it worth it?
So far, I managed to get my client's website at the first page of google SERP for certain targeted keywords that are likely to be searched by our target audience (clients, potential franchisees, etc). I rely entirely on in-page SEO. I build links simply to enable the bots to crawl those websites. But for some unknown reasons, I cannot manage to be on page one of SERP of yahoo and MSN. Any advice? Thanks!
-
domain names with numbers... good or bad?
I wonder if my current domain http://seoframes.com is memorable enough. It seems memorable to me but it has nine letters. My portfolio website currently occupy that domain. What if I move the portfolio website to that subdomain, and then create other subdomains for my other sites, with the main domain simply serving as some sort of portal leading to my websites.
-
How do you sign contract with a client if a real (physical) meeting is not possible?
Thank you very much guys, and I am sorry I've forgotten that I started this topic It seems that it really depends on the project size. Signed paper contracts are excellent, but e-mails, while not really "contracts", can still be used in the event the dispute needs to be settled in court.
-
PR Juice question....
Cats Corporation replied to Cats Corporation's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesOuch! Thanks Egg! I was thinking of following your tip in the pinned thread in this section. I was planning to setup some wordpress blogs in the wordpress hosting, but eventually move them to my own hosting once I attain the PR that I need. Perhaps, I should just divide my blogs, some in wordpress and some in my own hosting.
-
Personal Site
Since the site is not yet fully functional, I assume that the text on the upper right-hand corner is meant to include something like <a href=mailto:yadah@dah.com>. I suggest you remove it and just keep the contact form as a way for your visitors to contact you. The evil probes from the evil ones will be able to crawl your e-mail address and fill your inbox with vile, evil and malevolent messages about viagra, online casinos, rolex watches and Nigerian royalties. The color combination is good, but maybe, you should make the text links of your menu darker because the background is already light.