Everything posted by Cats Corporation
-
Google custom search or WordPress built-in search?
Thanks Elan
-
Google custom search or WordPress built-in search?
I'm currently using WordPress, and the main reason why I decided to use it in all my website (at least before I discovered the other features) is that it has a built in search function. WordPress search serves results based on reverse order of the date, not based on relevancy. It's useful for new blogs with less than 50 posts but not for around 100 or more. I'm thinking of shifting to Google custom search. I think it's better for two reasons: 1. Search results based on relevancy 2. Can put google adsense ads in search results page. However, there are certain things that prevent me from using it. 1. Sometimes, it serves random snippets from the post instead of the post excerpt in the search results page 2. I want to restrict the search results of the Custom Search to the posts only, but have other pages (categories, homepage, etc) to appear in Google's search results as accessed in Google's website. So what do you guys think is the better decision? Shift to Google Custom Search or keep the WordPress built-in search function? Also, in particular #2. Is it possible to do this? If the search was done through the embedded Google Custom Search in my website, only the posts will be served, but if the search was done through google.com, my home page and category pages can still appear. Thanks!
-
This site has not been picked up after 3 months
Cats Corporation replied to chrissmith44x's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesWhen you buy adwords, what you will get is adsense ads. A link to your site will appear in one of those websites that has adsense ads. However, those ads do not count as inbound links. When you check the source code of those websites that publish adsense, what you will see is a javascript, not the list of links that you can see embedded in normal webpage view.
-
This site has not been picked up after 3 months
Cats Corporation replied to chrissmith44x's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesThis is also my problem in my new site http://prefr.hub.ph. It hasn't been indexed for 21 days. Quite shorter than yours but it's very unusual based on my previous website projects (which usually take less than a week, 10 days at most). So far, no one has given me a plausible explanation, but my hypothesis is this. Back link building, XML sitemap submission and search engine submissions are all good tactics to get your site in search engine database, but when you do all of these at once (in just one day), Google possibly perceived it as something overly aggressive and penalized you for it. This is the first time I did something like this. In my previous sites, I only create back links on a couple of forum signature and add sitemaps later when the are already indexed. Availing adwords has nothing to do with getting indexed. You simply availed the advertisement service of Google, that's all.
-
When do Web Designers Sleep?
I always manage to get enough sleep, but the actual time of my sleep has been changing.
-
Google won't index my site, why?
Cats Corporation replied to Cats Corporation's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search EnginesThanks for the replies guys Dxnx Thanks! 3 weeks? Hmmm if things like that happen from time to time, I guess I just have to wait then. It's actually a subdomain, the domain is hub.ph. I have other websites in that domain (in different subdomains) and none of them took this long before getting indexed. Alliance Studio Yes, it has socialized plugin enabled and I already digged one of the articles. gaz545 I know of some forums that have no "nofollow" enabled.
-
Money for Clicking
Clicking ads? Nah boring. I rather work as security guard.
-
Wow new look!
I haven't visited this forum since I don't know, I cannot remember, and now that I returned, it has new looks. I thought I'm in a different forum but my user and password works and my avatar is there. This new appearance looks more professional, but the older looks is easier to the eyes.
-
Google won't index my site, why?
I know, there's no certainty when Google will index your site. However, I just find it unusual that it's more than 2 weeks and Google still haven't index my new website. I installed Google Analytics and Google webmaster's tools on Sept 11. I also submitted a site map. I also build a handful of backlinks from forums such as this but it's still not there until today. Yahoo already indexed my site. Ask, Bing and Lycos also haven't indexed my site yet. I find it unusual because all my previous sites are usually indexed by Google in less than a week (10 days at most, except for this one). As long as there are links to my site from somewhere, Google can find it immediately. There's even a case where I didn't do any back linking or submission and yet, Google still found my site (maybe it's through WordPress feed). But now, it's 19 days and Google still haven't indexed my site. I hope any of you guys can tell if there's anything wrong with my site? If maybe I did something that Google didn't like. This is the site that I'm referring to: http://prefr.hub.ph/ Thanks a lot.
-
How much do you charge for installing CMS?
You customize themes at that really low price? Maybe I should outsource some of my projects to you.
-
Learn Joomla or increase what I currently know about WordPress?
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I really appreciate them. BlueDreamer>> I don't think WordPress and Joomla are already overcrowded. Since I focused on building WordPress-powered websites (as oppose to static HTML), the jobs do not stop flowing to my direction. As for MoveableType, CMSMadeSimple, EZPublish, while there are very few developers focusing on these, it seems to me that the demand for these CMS are low compare to Joomla and WordPress. Paul Millar>> expression engine? Hmm, I never heard of it. Similar to what I said to BlueDreamer, I'm also looking for the demand. I haven't seen any jobs in freelance sites looking for expression engine. No matter I haven't heard of it yet. MacDesign>> That's my plan, but the question is which one should I focus first. Guezala>> I encounter Drupal frequently. I think it's at par with Joomla in terms of demand. Maybe I'll also take it into consideration.
-
Learn Joomla or increase what I currently know about WordPress?
After around 1.5 years of hacking, tampering, whatever, I'll say that I am now very proficient in creating and customizing WordPress templates. Some of the things that I can do as of now are the following: Change a template so that it no longer resembles the original Add and remove categories, archive, tags, or whatever is not needed in a particular blog Prevent certain posts or pages from appearing in navigation and search results Below are the stuff about WordPress that I think I still need to learn: How to create wordpress template from scratch (not from pre-existing template)? How to create plug-ins? WordPress is not the only CMS around. I am particularly eyeing on Joomla. From what I heard, the pay for Joomla customizers are quite higher (although I'm not sure about the demand of Joomla). So far, I'm doing great with what I currently know, but increasing my knowledge-base is vital if I want my business to grow, but I don't really have enough time to learn both of them. So which way should I go, expand my knowledge of WordPress? or learn other CMS like Joomla?
-
WDF Members Pricelist?
The cost of living in my part of the world is not as high as in UK, but still definitely not the lowest. I can buy a brand new cellphone and one year gym membership with the equivalent of $200 in our local currency.
-
Freelancing Advice
Give away the design you made as free template. If you want, I can convert your design to WordPress and we give it away. Then you can laugh as they find out that there are gazillion of websites out there that looks exactly the same as their's.
-
WDF Members Pricelist?
I use to charge $300 but I recently opted to reduce it to $200 because that's what most locals here can afford. but I decided to remove some premium services like back link building for them, and instead focus on on-page SEO. However, I usuall enjoy the $60 to $100 "I have static site, convert it to WordPress" type of jobs that I got from freelancing sites. The money is easy and fast, the expectations are clear and I don't have to drain my brains out thinking of a good design because the design is already there.
-
OK, Google punishes so many backlinks but what if most of it are nofollow?
Using Google Analytics, I noticed that one of my blogs has a dwindling number of visitors despite the fact that I regularly update it. Then I found out by using Google Webmaster Tool that my blogs has 1000+ backlinks (and it's less than 3 months old). However, most of these links are have rel="nofollow" attribute, and generated from my forum signatures because apparently, Google indexed the whole threads as well as the individual posts. I'm suspecting that Google seem to think that I am pursuing backlinks in an out of normal manner, and penalized me for it, but then, why would they punish me if most of these links have rel="nofollow", and therefore cannot in anyway affect my page rank. Your thoughts? Thanks!
-
Keyword rich domains
Cats Corporation replied to cybertraders's topic in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) & Search Enginescontent >>>>>>>> domain name long domains --> difficult to memorize for 'potential' regular visitors spammy domains --> might send red flag to search engines
-
This website shows up in search engines in a really weird manner
This website owner is asking for my help. Her website www.condominiumsph.com ranks #2 for search "condominiums philippines" in google.com.ph. However, the results are behaving in an irregular manner. First, unlike the other results, there's no descriptive text between the page title and the URL in the Google SERP. Second, when I searched for all the webpages from this site using the search query "site:www.condominiumsph.com/", the results display ONLY THE URL. This is the first time I encountered this kind of problem. Anyone who previously encountered this kind of situation? Or maybe you know of any possible explanation why is this happening? Thanks a lot.
-
Google Custom Search
I've been looking for the answer to this question but I cannot seem to get the right word in search query. If that's the case, then I guess I have to keep using the default WordPress search. I know Google custom search is much better in terms of returning relevant results, but I am not sure if this is enough reason to let go of WordPress search, that can include new posts immediately after they are published.
-
What happened here?
So that's what happened.... I don't know. I just visit the forum whenever I feel like it, but for several days I cannot access it by directly typing the URL or by accessing through Google. I just tried again that day and that's it, I can visit again. There seems to be no problem now. Perhaps everything is okay now.
-
What you prefer Whits SEOv/s Black SEO
It depends: If you are building a Ponzi scam or phishing website and having it fade out of existence in the near future as part of your plan, then black hat is the way to go. If you are building an information portal, a company website, or any website that meant to last forever or at least for a really long time, white hat should be your approach.
-
What happened here?
I cannot access this forum for about one week. It is as if the domain does not exist. I thought WDF already closed down.
-
How to create an internal "search engine"?
Not really a stand alone internal search engine, but using WordPress as CMS provides you with an internal search engine. That's one of the main reasons why I converted all my static HTML sites to WordPress. Another option is to install google toolbar that when used, will provide google search results but restricted to your website. I hope these helps.
-
Anyone here using (or had used) Yahoo Small Business for hosting? Please help
I've been using CPanel ever since I started working on a professional level (hence, my experience inTripod and Geociities does not count). Whenever I have clients, it's either I was the one who availed their domain and hosting, or they already have CPanel in their hosting. Just this morning, I visited a potential client. They told me that they already availed domain and hosting. To my surprise, they are using Yahoo Small Business. I tried using the interface, but it seems that it's a lot more difficult like: I cannot find the .htaccess. Is it even there? In CPanel, I can upload a zip file in the file manager and uncompress it in the hosting, thereby preserving the directory structure as how I arranged the files in my computer. Yahoo Small Business does not seem to have this option. It cannot uncompress uploaded zip files. And the most important, I cannot install WordPress in the root directory. Yahoo Small Business is forcing me to create a subdirectory where I can install WordPress. If there is any way I can do the aforementioned tasks (accessing .htaccess, uncompressing zip files and installing WordPress in root directory), please tell me how. Otherwise, I might as well either advice the client to avail another hosting or just drop this project altogether. Thanks!
-
I cannot get clients : (
Wizely, you mean this? --------- He he he! Need some dosage of humor. Anyway, I've been looking at the price angle. Before, I was hesitant on reducing my price because my services involves alot of premiums like posting about the client's services in forums and ads site. I also noticed recently that I can create website at a faster rate (I can finish templates without any content in 1 to 2 days). Hence, I'll be offering a really low price package but I will strip off the premium services. Guess what, I (hopefully) just got a client this morning (my time). My problem now is they are using Yahoo Small Business instead of CPanel. It seems that there is alot of restriction on what I can do to with the back end. I cannot even install WordPress on root directory. Thank you very much for the tips and encouragement guys. I need to go now. Schedule has been so hectic lately. I've been applying for teaching jobs. God bless!