Sign in to follow this  
blibbka

How to handle late-paying (but otherwise good) client(s)

Hi,

I have a couple of clients that are in a habit of paying their invoices late. In truth, I have several clients that regularly pay a couple of months late but as the fees involved are usually quite small I don't get too vexed about them.

But one particular client usually pays their invoices between 1 and 2 months late (and even then only after me repeatedly chasing). The invoices involved are moderately large - roughly 1/2 to a full months' income.

They do always pay in full in the end, and are otherwise an okay client, who has provided a pretty steady stream of work over the past 4 or 5 years. Yet I am not reliant upon them and have recently turned away some nice projects because I'm busy on their stuff.

A couple of months' back a large invoice was unpaid a couple of months down the line, despite repeated reminders. I contacted them to say that I was unhappy with this and from now on all invoices would be due upon receipt and should any invoice be 30 days overdue I would halt work until it has cleared.

The business owner and my marketing contact there were both apologetic and said they'd make sure it did not happen again.

Yet, this month, the same situation. Because (mostly) of the late payment of this invoice, my business account became overdrawn. As there is no work ongoing with them at this very moment, I can't "halt" work.

I am wondering what my next step should be.

I'm considering:

• An ultimatum: "I am a small independent business. If you want me to continue working with me I need invoices to be paid within 30 days. If you are not able to do that then - with regret - I will have to stop working with you. If that is the case then I'll send a final invoice to settle the account and provide you with backups of all work completed to date."
  • From now on, all work must be prepaid: "So from now on we will work on a retained basis. I suggest a monthly budget of £xxx. You will transfer this to me by monthly standing order. When the budget is used up I will stop work. We can increase or decrease the retainer amount according to needs, however it does need to be paid monthly and on time."
  • Bite my tongue and continue chasing!

Thoughts?

Edited by blibbka

Hmmm, tricky one clients and invoices, some of my clients pay withing 2 hours of invoice, others sound just like your little pains ;)

For my 'problematic' clients who fail to pay invoices I tighten the reigns. If it's a big bit of work I invoice half up front and when it's prepped and ready to go I send out the invoice on 7 day terms with a note the work will 'go live on receipt of payment' which normally gets them into gear and pay. It's hard to do however with adhoc stuff but if it's only little bits and bobs I will let them clock up a small bill before invoicing, nowhere near 1/2 a months money, maybe a day at the most, they fail to pay and it's no big deal to chase if you can be bothered, but if they don't pay inside 3 or so months I consider them a dead client and forget about them.

One important thing, always prioritise good payers work over these problem clients, and if a new client comes along which keep on top of bills (e.g. pays the deposit within a few days) then bump the problem clients down the priority list, if they don't like it they will either leave or pay on time.

Edit: Sorry forgot to say, my approach right now would be to call either the business owner or marketing contact, whoever you got on better with. I'd explain about the outstanding invoice that it keeps getting later and you cannot work like this. I might even ask if their business is in financial problems and would they like a payment plan. This will either embarrass them and they'll pay or they really are in financial problems and can set up a payment plan. Either way I would call and not email about it, maybe follow up with a summary of what was said cc the other so everyone knows about it.

Edited by BrowserBugs

Thanks BrowserBugs.

A phone call is a good idea - all too easy to ignore emails and I'll get a feel for the true situation from their response. Also like the idea of asking if they're in financial problems. They have the appearance of doing well - but that could be deceptive.

They have the appearance of doing well - but that could be deceptive.

It can be they are doing well but have a cash flow issue. I find generally speaking my problem clients all seem to come from the property trades. Their problem is always cash flow; for example say they take on a construction and landscape project. They normally have all their available cash stuck in bricks and cement, and until the project is complete they are broke regardless if they got £100k in profit on its way, and that's if their client pays them on time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By jarrodnoonan
      Hi all,

It's a subject that I'm really interested in learning about. I have been working for my clients since I was 14 and I have charged around £12 per hour ($15). It has really come to light that this is a low price compared to other web developers.

My question to all of you is, how much do you charge per hour?
    • By robbydesigns
      I'd be interested in getting some feedback from the professionals on here about the legal fight I'm currently having with eontek.net aka eontek.com (amongst others) regarding a website design for 'IVTherapyHouston' they asked me to create.

In almost 8 years I've been lucky enough (and friendly enough) to have never had a problem with a client and I find this an upsetting and unnecessary experience.

In the beginning the Client signed a Contract and paid a deposit by Paypal. He promptly asked me to refund it as he'd paid "from the wrong account", I did and he paid me again a few days later. This was a red light to me but I carried on regardless.

In the Proposal I sent the Client I laid out that it would take no more than one month to complete. It has now been five months due to his unresponsiveness in replying to my emails. Here's a few:

After working over 50 hours changing the PSD, coding the website and working out how to have slants dividing background images (tricky stuff) I grew tired of having to wait weeks for a reply and asked the client to show commitment by paying 50% of the outstanding balance, this was meant as a bit of a kick up the ass as I wanted to get the project finished and had already lost time (money) on this project. He'd agreed the design in Photoshop, was happy with it and was enjoying previews as I experimented with different font combinations (as some Clients do fancy themselves as Designers, "left a bit, right a bit, try it in blue" is not something that particularly bothers me). The project was 95% complete and I wanted to see some commitment.

He did not like this and said he'd pay nothing until it was complete; by this point the relationship had broken down and I took the working preview offline.
      He then opened a Paypal dispute demanding his deposit back. As per the Contract he signed (which he seems to have zero respect for) he is not entitled to a refund which luckily for me Paypal agreed.
      Here's a shot of that part of the Contract:

As you can see, the Contract clearly states the client needs to "supply all the information and images needed to complete the project within the set deadline", him not responding to my emails in a timely manner is covered within this.
      You can also clearly see that the deposit is non-refundable (as I am aware all professional Web Designers do this in order to at least be paid for the time they spend in planning out the project, the design etc..would be interested to hear comments from you guys). Finally, you can see that "as they have commissioned the work and paid a deposit they are still obliged to pay for the work that has been done" - the client is 95% done so he is lucky that I haven't (as yet) sued for the amount that would pay for the project having got to that point.

Okay, so basically I was waiting ages for email replies, the client had no commitment to the project or respect for my time so I'd asked for 50% of the remaining balance to show some commitment.It would've taken only one or two days to complete so I didn't see this as a big deal but rather a way of getting paid for some of the 50 hours+ I'd already put into this project plus a nudge for him to reply faster and get this done; after all, he said himself that it needed to get completed (try answering email then!)

His transaction dispute through Paypal was thrown out, he had, after all signed a Contract that clearly states the deposit is non-refundable (my 50 hours+ for his $420 deposit = £6.80 an hour..and he wants that back!).

Not happy with this he sent me an email which looks to me like he's trying to blackmail me:

No sooner had I sent my reply I was told by Paypal he'd appealed against their decision (amazing how quickly he could reply to their emails!):

I don't see how I am not honouring my Contract or why he expects me to hand over a $1,400+ project after having paid only a deposit. The project did take longer because I was happy to change the PSD design before coding but that didn't include him taking a week to reply to a simple question. By "deleted everything" I think he's on about my taking down the live preview which I did because he clearly lacks respect for us Web Designers and was not going to pay.

Comments????
    • By Labelarot45
      Hi,

So I'm looking for a solution(software) that reminds me when a client needs to renew his or her package. I'm working on expanding my services and put more focus on maintenance packages. Now the way I send out invoices is through e-mail, I have a special layout for them that I wish to use. But the thing that is missing right now is a place that keeps track of when each client needs to be billed again.

I mean of course I could look for a schedule calender program and put in reminders, but I have a feeling there must be a better alternative/solution for this specific problem for businesses. Invoice programs force you to send invoices through them and they may remind you to re-bill them, but I don't want to use invoice programs. I just want a scheduler for myself that organizes/showcases/keeps track of all the individual client payment renewals.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
    • By Yuriko_v2b
      Hey, I wanted to ask you guys if you know of a boilerplate contract
      between a designer and client (for a period of, lets say, 1 year)?
      Thank you!
    • By Apache_jd
      I currently have a full-time web developer position at a small agency, working 9 until 5:30 - also spending 2 hours a day on a train commuting.
      When I get home on the evenings, I am up until midnight doing work every weekday night, and I work for about 6 hours on a Saturday and 6 hours on a Sunday - completing all of my freelance work. My website ranks very well (page 1 usually) in search engine results for terms such as "freelance web developer", "freelance web designer", etc. So this is where most of my work comes from. Some also comes from referrals, but I do not advertising and do not use websites such as freelancer.com to win work either.

I have all required skills in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, MySQL, SEO, web security, managing servers and so on. Over the past 5 years, I have designed and developed everything from small business sites, to fully functional ecommerce websites, to social networks, to live bidding platforms, to company portals, and so much more - all on a bespoke basis. I also have design skills in Illustrator and Photoshop. I also develop long-term on a multi million pound ecommerce store as a freelance (have been doing so for 2 years).

I earn a lot more from my freelance work (over £4000 in March) than I do in my full time job (£17k salary). I have an accountant to help me with taxes, etc. So as you can imagine, I want to make the transition to go freelance on a full-time basis.

I have all of the tools (a good smartphone, a powerful PC with dual monitors, iPad, etc etc) as well as the business knowledge which I've gained working closely with the director of the agency.

Should I got full time freelance? What should I consider?