Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cross Browser "Add to Fav / Bookmarks" help

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

I've been doing some research around cross browser add to favourites / bookmarks as my script didn't seem to work for Chrome or FF no more.

 

This time I've decided to ask for help because there seems to be a lot of options out there on what to use in order to accomplish this.

 

What do you all recommend I use / what works best?

 

Thanks for your help in advanced.

  • Author

Hi Sash,

 

These are two I have looked at before:

 

1) Ultimate Add Bookmarks Script - currently using but with the FF browser the "add to sidebar box" is ticked which then loads the web site in the side bar - not what I want to achieve. I want my site to load in the tab/window; not the side bar. Otherwise this works fine in IE, Chrome etc.

 

2) I haven't tried the above link you gave because I'm confused as to which one is the script to use. Is it the one answered by PHP1st or the last one on the page by Alaa.kh?

i myslef havent tested it though

 

but it looks like this should work

 

JQUERY

<script type="text/javascript">
$(function() {
$('#bookmarkme').click(function() {
if (window.sidebar && window.sidebar.addPanel) { // Mozilla Firefox Bookmark
window.sidebar.addPanel(document.title,window.location.href,'');
} else if(window.external && ('AddFavorite' in window.external)) { // IE Favorite
window.external.AddFavorite(location.href,document.title);
} else if(window.opera && window.print) { // Opera Hotlist
this.title=document.title;
return true;
} else { // webkit - safari/chrome
alert('Press ' + (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf('mac') != - 1 ? 'Command/Cmd' : 'CTRL') + ' + D to bookmark this page.');
}
});
});
</script>

HTML

<a id="bookmarkme" href="#" rel="sidebar" title="bookmark this page">Bookmark This Page</a>

i didn't know anyone used "bookmark this page" anymore. afaik it's built into the browser, any browser, any version :)

i know that's sounds sarcastic (my groundstate i'm afraid) but, er why would you do this with additional scripting when it's there already?

Edited by davep

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.