Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

which is best domain .com or .net domain?

Featured Replies

I want to purchase the domain. I wanted to get idea, which is the best domain .com or .net. Pls suggest me?

I think if you are in india buy com.in. it will rank better in google.india

 

Then I will prefer to use .in domains because of its easy to remember and google will not count this domain as a sub domain.

 

.com is best.

  • 1 month later...

com is more universal. the first thing I think about domain is .com then com.in for example and then mayb .net!

  • 3 weeks later...

If both domains are available for registration we recommend registering both.

 

Make the .com your primary domain and 301 redirect the .net over to your .com

 

Rich

Wherever in the world you're based (except the UK, where I'd use co.uk), I'd definitely recommend having the .com TLD as the main domain. Then you could have the .in redirecting to .com.

  • 10 months later...

It really depends on the purpose of the website, .net is originally intended for organizations involved in networking technologies.

  • 2 months later...

.com is more recognised and therefore the better choice, ideally you would register both to stop anybody squatting on the .net.

 

Having said that, I have run a fairly busy website using a .net domain for 11 years without any problems (the .com is owned by a squatter, pointing it to an unrelated website). I don't think I'd run a business or brand name from a .net domain knowing that someone else has control of the .com though.

 

Agree with others that in the UK .co.uk or .uk is more desirable for a business website, any other TLD is a nice to have.

  • 3 months later...

When thinking about the branding implications think about what the two domain extensions mean to users: network and company.

.com = businesses

.net = network providers / hosting companies
.org = not for profit

  • 10 months later...
For almost gTLD domains, they're all good choices. However, it depends on what purpose you should buy your domain, building your own business or investment? And depend on who are your target audiences, if someone builds a website for his local customers then ccTLD domains the best choice. However .COM is the best and then .NET, .ORG, .INFO,...For ccTLD, I think those are .IN, .CO, .IO, .ME,...


.COM - Commercial – Currently, this is the most popular domain name extension using, it’s chosen by almost companies and business,…

.NET - Network – The second most popular extension now, it’s also used by companies, internet services provider or organization that related to internet fields




Good luck to you,

  • 4 months later...

v1VB91uuyaE.jpeg

 

Domain names are marketing tools. Tools to help gain, convert and retain customers. Their value lies in their ability to do so (and the value of those customers).

I think the decision to go with com or net depends on whichever customer brand recall would be better. If you're unsure then my tip is to check out what your top competitor is doing. For example, if you're competing with Sports Direct then I would use the .com like they do. (But the .com gets my vote - and I've put my money where my mouth is! LOL)

Hope that helps.

Edited by webdesigner93
Removed links no link dropping use signature

  • 1 month later...

.com and .co.uk are the two kings, .net IMO is for when you can't get the .com

  • 1 year later...

.com if you are looking for global traffic. Country specific extension if you are looking for local traffic.

Edited by ozhef

  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Basically, its depends with your domain purpose. For example, if your domain for commercial purpose, .com is prefer to used. But if your domain for education purpose, .edu is the right choice. Likewise if your site for organisation, .org is good ideas. Everything based on the site purpose and goal.

I would prefer .com as it seems much more international - but it depends off your needs. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Letters are slower, but go much deeper as sms. - Author Kuverte

.com, always make sure you have it.

.net is ideal to buy and any other extensions just so no one can piggy back on your name, but the .com is recommended for international.

  • 6 months later...
  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.