Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How do you keep the customers passwords safe?

Featured Replies

I am having my first paid customers now and still feel a bit strange when I ask them for Host/FTP/admin username and password so I can log in and fix the problems. I can't memorize their passwords, they're all different and hard to memorize but I don't think it's safe to put them on a spreadsheet in case someone gets hold of it so I am always having to search my emails for the passwords I need when I need, I wish there was an easy way!

 

Does anyone knows of a better way, somewhere safe to keep customer's passwords while you working on their project?

  • Author

yellow post it note on your monitor :)

 

heh is that serious or a joke?? sounds great to remember but not very safe in case my office gets burgled.. am I being paranoid??

 

I don't have a lot of real customer's experience and it feels so wrong to do this, I feel bad when I ask for the passwords, feel like nobody should give their passwords to strangers and here I am asking people for their passwords!! :unknw: Hah hoping this feeling disappears as I get more used to the job..

Edited by luizarios

nah i don't lol,

Set yourself up as a different user with your email address so if you forget you can use forgot password feature.

 

Or get some software to keep passwords safe, so you only need to remember one password to access all of them...

 

Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I have devised a way of hiding passwords in my iphone and know how to link each password to each account.

I keep mine in a note pad file but I noticed when I go into my agency they keep all theirs in self addressed emails inside a folder called logins.

 

Though someone might hack your email... get one of them bulletproof safes mate :)

if you are using android mobile than sipmly use "ColorNote" app(available in google app store free)

provides secret notes which can be viewed only by your given password.

Edited by amincharoliya

  • Author

nah i don't lol,

 

Damn it! I believed you! Now I have to run to the paper shredder and get rid of all the papers before someone comes in! hah

 

I keep mine in a note pad file but I noticed when I go into my agency they keep all theirs in self addressed emails inside a folder called logins.

 

Though someone might hack your email... get one of them bulletproof safes mate :)

 

Guess the note pad is the simplest but best idea, because I have so much paper in this office there's no way someone would find it! Plus hackers don't come to someone's house hah so I should be safe then :yahoo: thanks all for the answers

  • Author

if you are using android mobile than sipmly use "ColorNote" app(available in google app store free)

provides secret notes which can be viewed only by your given password.

I think I want to steer away from computer programs to keep passwords, they're the hackers favourite aim hah

Personally i wouldn't have it online or a computer ... can be hacked by someone knowing what they are doing. I would rather store them on a peice of paper. Someone who is robbing your office will go for valuables ... not paper :p

 

If you want to be extra secure you can store the passwords using a substitution cipher if the passwords are good passwords (i.e. no words and just random characters e.g. hgfDzSdt7u) it would be hard/next to impossible to crack without the correct key

  • Author

Personally i wouldn't have it online or a computer ... can be hacked by someone knowing what they are doing. I would rather store them on a peice of paper. Someone who is robbing your office will go for valuables ... not paper :p

 

If you want to be extra secure you can store the passwords using a substitution cipher if the passwords are good passwords (i.e. no words and just random characters e.g. hgfDzSdt7u) it would be hard/next to impossible to crack without the correct key

 

Oh yes, I used to write a diary with substitution cipher when I was in my teens haha :D

 

Yes, paper is better, and you're right if someone ever break in my office it'd be for valuables (not that I had any valuables in here apart from an old computer hah), everybody know hackers, programmers, web designers and web developers are all scared of people and real life, I've never seen one in the flesh!!

  • Author

and then when you leave the office put them into a safe, no hacker can get to your stuff electronically....

 

 

Already ordered my safe on ebay, it's coming from China so I know it's a top quality one! :good: I need to be careful cause the websites I am working on are as important as Google and everybody out there wants the passwords! :pp

Already ordered my safe on ebay, it's coming from China so I know it's a top quality one! :good: I need to be careful cause the websites I am working on are as important as Google and everybody out there wants the passwords! :pp

 

REALLY lol!!!! google you say, now that's sparked a few hackers interest!!! maybe another rule would be, not share with whom you work with hehe

  • Author

*Reads up on how to crack a safe*

 

 

blow torch, and plastic explosives hehe

 

Muahahaha! Research all you want you envious people, you can never ever crack my safe!!!! it will arrive within 2 months and it will be impossible to crack or melt! Here's a picture of it just to make you guys jealous:

 

I will also use this safe to deposit all the money I am currently making with web design!!!!

post-25179-0-01150900-1390300031_thumb.jpg

Edited by luizarios

Muahahaha! Research all you want you envious people, you can never ever crack my safe!!!! it will arrive within 2 months and it will be impossible to crack or melt! Here's a picture of it just to make you guys jealous:

 

I will also use this safe to deposit all the money I am currently making with web design!!!!

 

i'm going to get one to keep my digestive biscuits in it mmmm dark chocolate digestives.... i will be lost without them

Edited by inlinedivblock

  • Author

I just ask the kids to put the passwords somewhere safe - we're still looking :D

lol another very good idea but I don't have kids, but I do have a cat who loves picking up socks from the washing basket and placing it in random places around the house, is it OK if I put the passwords inside socks and let the cat decides where to put it?

Personally I would suggest a USB stick that is encrypted with trueCrypt or similar, store the passwords on it in a Password protected Word file and never leave the USB stick in your computer when finished with it, store it elsewhere.

 

If that is not secure enough I'd suggest investing in a secure USB stick of sorts, couldn't suggest which specifically though, again even with this precaution do as many of the above as possible.

lol another very good idea but I don't have kids, but I do have a cat who loves picking up socks from the washing basket and placing it in random places around the house, is it OK if I put the passwords inside socks and let the cat decides where to put it?

 

Yes ... it's the new 'claws' encryption where the cat hides the passwords. :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.