Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Fooooooottttbbbballllll !

Featured Replies

I did look around and couldn't see any other topic's related to the greatest sport on the planet !

 

Just wandering if we have any passionate supporters on here ?

 

I'm a Reading lad (born and bred) and have supported them for a decade. My first love is the Italian game though (don't ask me why !)

I'm a passionate Juventus supporter and have been for donkeys years. My username comes from a rather (in)famous Juventus player - a lifelong Juventino, Enzo Maresca (who currently plies his trade in Seville) famously celebrated a goal against our arch intercity rivals Torino (merda) by imitating a bull (their symbol) right in front of the bench. Ever since, the lad has been my footballing hero. Despite never getting a chance at Juventus, being traded around by our nuisance management and his 'fiery comments' about the club Enzino is a highly talented midfielder.

 

 

Rant over :spiteful:

 

In the footballing world, it looks like Mancini has been removed from the Inter bench, and The special one is now a firm favourite to Irritate Italian football fans worldwide. Personally, i cannae wait for next season. We have Champions league football to look forward to, and a portuguese tactician to silence !

 

Ale, Ale, Ale !!!!!!

I have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Generally Don't watch football just the big matches. Champions league final was absolutely awesome :pp.

And Euro 2k8 coming up looking forward to that one. Although i gues the netherlands won't win a single match.

 

and why Juventus? :)

football? what's that?

 

I think I have been lucky with my boyfriend as well as he doesn't like football either :)

Ah, the beautiful game.

I don't see much of it though, cos I'm a coerced spurs fan lol.

 

Mind you, the green and yellow barmy army never provided much more in the way of "football" either.

Aha football.

 

Used to play a lot, but twisted an ankle badly a year back or so and ageing coupled with a beer belly have delayed my return.

 

Supported QPR all my life, also fond of Blackpool and Barca. Was bought a Barca shirt in Spain 30 years or so back, the waiters loved it and I've a great fondness for the city, it's politics and history.

 

Sad to see LDC/GiGi aka Louigi De Canio move on recently, was a great manager who got us playing better football than we've seen at loftus Road since the early 80's.

 

Cannot stand Chelsea, no QPR supporter can, most of you likely have a recent history of dislking the SW London club, however those of use from Notting Hill/Shepherds Bush/Acton/Northolt/Ealing/Perivale etc have felt this way for over 40 years.

 

By the way as the song goes when we visit Reading 'your not fit to wear the hoops'...

 

:flm7:

I'm a big rugby fan myself - you know a proper sport for men. :lol:

Am going on Saturday to watch my team "The Crusaders" in the Super 14 semi final - it'll be great!

 

I think my lack of interest in football, apart from it being a rubbish game (:pp ), is that I'm from Oxford and so am was a "U's" supporter. After Robert Maxwell sold the best players or free-transferred them to Kevin Maxwell's Notts Forest (or some other club), knocked-down the Manor (our home ground) and then legged-it with the cash before mysteriously 'drowning' on his yacht with no witnesses... we kind of went from top of the 1st division (pre-Premier League days) to nearly in the conference. It was lonely watching them in the stands!

 

:D

  • Author

Football a rubbish game !??!! Surely not :o;)

 

To be honest, i think the game has taken a dramatic turn for the worse in recent years, the billionaire foreign owners have seen to that. Liverpool, Manchester United, the farce that is Chelski FC, Man City, Birmingham, west Ham and even Newcastle (despite their domestic owner) have made a right royal balls up of the game (Excuse the pun) by nabbing all the best players in the game (not to mention the young talent), offering them ludicrous salaries and leaving the 'smaller' clubs with feck all. Perhaps the only example in the premiership of a half way decent run club is Aston Villa. Despite Randy Learner being an 'overseas' owner, he has done his absolute best to leave MON to his business and not stuck his nose in.

 

The italian game lacks none of the drama and pantomime of the premiership, but by the same token, their game is more of an 'opera' than a 'rock concert'.

 

Phew, i'll take a breath now....

football rubbish how vary dare u :pp

 

well im a Liverpool fan and Gillingham fan so a mixture of brilliant football and bad football, the exactly the same case of bad boardroom management.

 

strangely this season i have been to see Spurs three times this season, West Ham once and liverpool once :S

I used to like playing football, but think its quite boring to watch, so that's why I don't follow football. Then again I think most sports are boring to watch.

I'm a big rugby fan myself - you know a proper sport for men. :lol:

Am going on Saturday to watch my team "The Crusaders" in the Super 14 semi final - it'll be great!

 

I think my lack of interest in football, apart from it being a rubbish game (:pp ), is that I'm from Oxford and so am was a "U's" supporter. After Robert Maxwell sold the best players or free-transferred them to Kevin Maxwell's Notts Forest (or some other club), knocked-down the Manor (our home ground) and then legged-it with the cash before mysteriously 'drowning' on his yacht with no witnesses... we kind of went from top of the 1st division (pre-Premier League days) to nearly in the conference. It was lonely watching them in the stands!

 

:D

 

Ah a rugger b****r are you then Wize!

 

Yep Oxford did very well for a while, but eventually small club, small toown I'm afraid to say. During those golden days you actually beat us 3-0 in a Milk Cup *final* at Wembley (think it's now rebranded the Coca Cola Cup but was always best called the League Cup).

 

:flm7:

Ah a rugger b****r are you then Wize!

 

Yep Oxford did very well for a while, but eventually small club, small toown I'm afraid to say. During those golden days you actually beat us 3-0 in a Milk Cup *final* at Wembley (think it's now rebranded the Coca Cola Cup but was always best called the League Cup).

 

:flm7:

 

I was there! We did beat you! I didn't read you were a QPR fan or I'd have gloated! I was only little and my brother took me - it was the first game I'd ever seen live. We had John Aldridge and Ray Houghton and some good goalie or other and were amazing until a certain fat b**tard stuffed us up.

 

And, yes I am a rugby fan. No amount of 'magic sponges' will repair you if you come round these parts and say that!!!! :pp

 

Oh, and when spent a few months in Northern Spain with local friends I used to go see Celta Vigo or La Coruña - more for the drinking and partying than the matches though!!!

 

Oh, oh... and Oxford's a city, a fine city, not a town!!!!

I was there! We did beat you! I didn't read you were a QPR fan or I'd have gloated! I was only little and my brother took me - it was the first game I'd ever seen live. We had John Aldridge and Ray Houghton and some good goalie or other and were amazing until a certain fat b**tard stuffed us up.

 

And, yes I am a rugby fan. No amount of 'magic sponges' will repair you if you come round these parts and say that!!!! :pp

 

Oh, and when spent a few months in Northern Spain with local friends I used to go see Celta Vigo or La Coruña - more for the drinking and partying than the matches though!!!

 

Oh, oh... and Oxford's a city, a fine city, not a town!!!!

 

A horrible, horrible day in QPR history, conincidentally in the run up to he final we beat Chelsea in the league 6-0 at home, what a day and they were top of the league at the time! We also knocked Liverpool out in the semi and Chelsea in the Quarter finals, so to lose to Oxford oh dear.

 

Rangers were hot favourites to win against Oxford but it all went wrong on the day.

 

Friend of mine got beaten up for throwing a brick through the window of an Oxford supporters coach after the match, he was a bit of a delinquent, drunk and on his own, practically the whole coach jumped off and gave him what he deserved. Funnily enough he calmed down after this! :flm16:

 

Oxford small town full of country bumpkins :crazy:

 

:flm7:

LOL, alot of non football lovers here,

 

I am an avid Evertonian living in the Liverpool area, about a mile from both Goodison Park and Anfield.

 

I hate Liverpool FC for the record! :D

I'm a Hammers fan. Good to see us having 4 youth team products playing in the Champs League final the other day. Oh, and we won the World Cup in '66.

;)

LOL, alot of non football lovers here,

 

I am an avid Evertonian living in the Liverpool area, about a mile from both Goodison Park and Anfield.

 

I hate Liverpool FC for the record! :D

 

I wondered where my hub caps had gone :flm7:

  • Author
LOL, alot of non football lovers here,

 

I am an avid Evertonian living in the Liverpool area, about a mile from both Goodison Park and Anfield.

 

I hate Liverpool FC for the record! :D

 

 

Wahey ! Another member of the 'Hate Liverpool' faction - Can't stand them myself, but as a Juve supporter, that goes without saying. Cracking team Everton, great manager and they play very attractive football.

Wahey ! Another member of the 'Hate Liverpool' faction - Can't stand them myself, but as a Juve supporter, that goes without saying. Cracking team Everton, great manager and they play very attractive football.

 

Everton attractive football - No please!!!!

 

And the manager just scares me.

 

:flm7:

  • Author
Everton attractive football - No please!!!!

 

And the manager just scares me.

 

:flm7:

 

C'mon, you have to admit that Everton play very decent football - They are not a team that sit back on a lead - I don;t like Andy Johnson, but Yakkers is an inspired signing. Piennar is also very creative, along with Cahill and Arteta. Lescott is by far the best defender in the premiership at the moment - better than Rio whatshisname, John thingymajig, and country mile better than William 'the Galass is half empty'.

 

Besides, i hate liverpool !b :spiteful:

I was born a Makem and although I've lived in Scotland for over 40 years I still follow them, even through thick and thin.

With Quinny & Keano we're on the up again.

 

When I moved to Scotland, I supported the Arabs - great years when they reached the European Cup semi-final & UEFA Cup final. Whilst doing their coaching badges, Wattie Smith & Archie Knox used to teach at the local schools/colleges :D

C'mon, you have to admit that Everton play very decent football - They are not a team that sit back on a lead - I don;t like Andy Johnson, but Yakkers is an inspired signing. Piennar is also very creative, along with Cahill and Arteta. Lescott is by far the best defender in the premiership at the moment - better than Rio whatshisname, John thingymajig, and country mile better than William 'the Galass is half empty'.

 

Besides, i hate liverpool !b :spiteful:

 

Sounds like you know far more than me, I only see the occasional highlights on MOTD and they looked very physical and ugly then.

 

My apologies.

 

:flm7:

its hard for me to know if your talkin about american football or "soccer"... wierd world huh? lol

its hard for me to know if your talkin about american football or "soccer"... wierd world huh? lol

 

nope kenv football is soccer is football.

 

american football is american football.

 

only you americans call football soccer we call it football.

 

here's another one is

 

optimi*s*ation spelt optimi*s*ation or optimi*z*tion

 

:flm7:

its hard for me to know if your talkin about american football or "soccer"... wierd world huh? lol

 

If we were talking about gridiron we'd be talking about girly padding, endless TV ads, players that can run or catch or throw or block (but not more than one from the list), a squad of about 600 that changes every 20 seconds, getting about 1000 points for every goal so the scoreboard looks good! <_<

 

I may not like football, but gridiron isn't even a sport! Ooh it's so physical when two big blokes fall into each other from about 6inches apart and their padding clashes! :huh:

 

Considering your maple leaf - I'll concede calling 'Ice Hockey' just 'Hockey' - now that's a real sport!!! :D

 

In order of the types of football from best to worst, it goes:

 

1. Rugby Union

2. Rugby Sevens

3. Rugby League

4. Australian Rules Footie

5. Gaelic football

6. Football

7. QPR kicking a ball around :pp

 

I can't even include gridiron!!!!

7. QPR kicking a ball around :pp

 

Ah you may scoff now Mr Wize, but give it a few years, we are now the worlds richest club, our owners have a combined wealth of (depending which report you read) 5-10 times that of the Russian at Chelski.

 

With Mittal, Ecclestone and Briatore paying the bills we'll be winning the Champions League in 5 years time. Only problem is none of us 'real' fans will be able to affford tickets!

 

:flm7:

*enters*

 

*declares love for Leeds Utd*

 

*leaves*

 

come back! Leeds are one of our best feeder clubs... many thanks for nurturing Robinson, Woodgate, Lennon, Rose, Keane and others for us... of course I'm a spurs fan

 

YID ARMY!

Being a comlete football addict I just had to contribute something here!!

I have always been a fan of Lincoln City, ever since my dad took me to a game in 1985 when we lost 4-0 at home to Cardiff. We got relegated that season and the next we got relegated out of the Football League (first to do so under the new rules!). However, this didn't save me as I was completely and utterly hooked.

 

I have many great memories from supporting the Imps. These include hammering Man City in the League Cup back in '97 - 4-1 at our place and 1-0 at Maine Road to set up a tie at then Premiership Southampton. We drew 2-2 at The Dell and the game was a complete sell out as tickets were only £10 and I understand several thousand Saints fans were locked out for this game. In the replay we lost 3-1.

 

My favourite player of recent times is Sir Gareth Ainsworth. Headcoat, I understand Sir Gareth has signed a new player/coach contract with QPR. I was hoping he'd return to end hid playing days at Lincoln, but there seems little chance of that now. Check out the website for his band Yes, this is really a footballer in a punk rock band!

 

Back in the late 90's when I was so obsessed with footie, I went to 59 league matches in a row, including going to the likds of Exeter in midweek and also Priestfield (Gillingham) to watch us beat then homeless Brighton 1-0.

 

In the past ten years we have thrashed Fulham 4-0 in a league game when they were in the same division as us and we were also the first team to win a league game at new Premiership team Hull City's new KC stadium.

 

I think you can gather from this that I love football!!!

Super Imps

My favourite player of recent times is Sir Gareth Ainsworth. Headcoat, I understand Sir Gareth has signed a new player/coach contract with QPR. I was hoping he'd return to end hid playing days at Lincoln, but there seems little chance of that now. Check out the website for his band Yes, this is really a footballer in a punk rock band!

 

Always nice to hear of folk who support the not so famous teams.

 

Indeed Mr Ainsworth is still at Rangers and very popular he is too. I've heard of Dog Chewed the Handle, I think rock n'roll may be a more apt description than Punk, rock n' roll in the *best* broad sense of the word that is. A lot of Rangers fans go to the gigs, in fact I think most of the audience is usually made up of people shouting 'u rrrrrrrrr's'.

 

Has been a dedicated player for us, but at Championship level a touch huff and puff. I find his appointment as a coach a little baffling to be honest, can only think it's for encouragement and morale rather than anything techincal.

 

Gareth is famous at Rangers for running, putting his head down and running, in a straight line, a very straight line!! That includes when coming on as a sub or being subbed, this long haired fella (his hair is very similar to bluedreamers, quite literally sprints on or off the pitch his head down and face obscured by his locks.

 

Rumour has it he told Kevin Gallen - 'the reason I put my head down is if I look up I won't know what to do!, I know nothing about football...'

 

But he's a decent bloke, dedicated and a good honest footballer. Nowt la de da about this fella, after crippling his leg in the first half once he was seen by myself and many on the way back from hospital walking outside the ground with the Physio at full time.

 

Great memories of this guy in our promotion season 3 years back.

 

:flm7:

Great memories of this guy in our promotion season 3 years back.

 

:flm7:

 

 

I have great memories of him playing a small part in getting us promoted back in 1997! In his last home game before being transferred to Port Vale in September of that season he scored a hattrick against Scarborough (RIP) in an entertaining 3-3 draw. Him and Phil Stant had formed a great attacking partnership. I remember seeing him playing for Wimbledon (now moving back up the non-league scene) a few years later in the Premiership on Match of the Day and scoring two in a 3-3 draw with Newcastle.

 

I once sold a chocice to Darren Huckerby when he played for Lincoln (I was working in a cinema at the time)!

 

Thinking of footballers who have led rock star lifestyles, you should read 'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw - The Robin Friday story', by Paul McGuigan and Paolo Hewitt. This guy was a living legend back in the 70s and would usually do a V sign to away fans when he scored a goal. Obviously you wouldn't get away with that these days but you can hardly celebrate properly without being carded now anyway! For his pre season training he would usually go to as many summer music festivals as he could fit in!!

Considering your maple leaf - I'll concede calling 'Ice Hockey' just 'Hockey' - now that's a real sport!!! :D

 

Both are real sport but they play it differently, but yeah... canada still made the hockey and football... i mean Ice Hockey and american football :p

I've always supported Queen of the South. I was born in Dumfries and although ive moved about a bit, the Doonhamers still come number one. We got to the Scottish Cup Final this year, & that's definitely been the highlight of my time supporting them. The last match that i went to previous to that (apart from semi-final) was a really dull 0-0 draw with Ayr United about 3 yrs ago in front of about 1,000 people. They've come a long way since then! (or so it seemed)

 

Having read Maresca's post -- I went to a Torino/Juventus match about 4 years ago as well. Have to say was a bit disappointed. The stadium is a amazing and enormous, but almost seemed too big, and there wasn't that good an atmosphere..

I'm a Torquay United fan!

 

Yeah enough said :lol:

I've always supported Queen of the South. I was born in Dumfries and although ive moved about a bit, the Doonhamers still come number one. We got to the Scottish Cup Final this year, & that's definitely been the highlight of my time supporting them. The last match that i went to previous to that (apart from semi-final) was a really dull 0-0 draw with Ayr United about 3 yrs ago in front of about 1,000 people. They've come a long way since then! (or so it seemed)

 

Having read Maresca's post -- I went to a Torino/Juventus match about 4 years ago as well. Have to say was a bit disappointed. The stadium is a amazing and enormous, but almost seemed too big, and there wasn't that good an atmosphere..

 

QoS is my Scottish team! Bring on Europe next season! (West Ham won't get anywhere near it!).

I'm a Torquay United fan!

 

Yeah enough said :lol:

 

Have you ever met Helen Chamberlain then? I hear she goes to pretty much every game!

Have you ever met Helen Chamberlain then? I hear she goes to pretty much every game!

 

Must have.... there'll be only ash and helen there. ;)

Must have.... there'll be only ash and helen there. ;)

Harsh but true :lol:

I can't really mock though, it's not like Lincoln are world beaters!! :lol: However, we did pip Torquay to promotion in 1997 which is the last time we did anything worth celebrating!

Harsh but true :lol:

I can't really mock though, it's not like Lincoln are world beaters!! :lol: However, we did pip Torquay to promotion in 1997 which is the last time we did anything worth celebrating!

 

I feel for you. I've had a lifetime of pain and suffering supporting West Ham. It really saddens me to think of the team we could've had were it not for our idiot chairman (not the current one or the previous one, but the one before that).

 

Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Glen Johnson were all products of our youth system. Add to that Jermain Defoe (admittedly we poached him from Charlton) and that's the nucleus for a hell of a side.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.