May 31, 201313 yr Hey Guys, I've been busy developing a website for a University CU. Its still a work in progress but I would be very interested to have some opinions on the design/colours/function e.t.c. Index is at calebkingcott.com I've also done a page design which is at calebkingcott.com/page.htm Cheers Calebk Edited May 31, 201313 yr by calebk
June 1, 201313 yr Its hard to say as there isn't much content but the first thing that leaps to mind is the photo quality. I see what you are doing with the coloured filtres but since the photos are not very crisp it just looks like old photos. I think the filtres idea could work better if the headline banner was a neutral colour. The textures are nice but again not good enough quality and need to be repeated on background elements in the instance of the one on the div containing your navigation. I would also suggest using html5 rather than XHTML 1.0 Traditional. Is there a reason for your choice of doctype. The box shadows are a little heavy as is the text shadow. I do like the typeface in the header banner and the body text. Maybe you could use it in your navigation menu as well?
June 2, 201313 yr Author Its hard to say as there isn't much content but the first thing that leaps to mind is the photo quality. I see what you are doing with the coloured filtres but since the photos are not very crisp it just looks like old photos. I think the filtres idea could work better if the headline banner was a neutral colour. The textures are nice but again not good enough quality and need to be repeated on background elements in the instance of the one on the div containing your navigation. I would also suggest using html5 rather than XHTML 1.0 Traditional. Is there a reason for your choice of doctype. The box shadows are a little heavy as is the text shadow. I do like the typeface in the header banner and the body text. Maybe you could use it in your navigation menu as well? Thanks mantis, some really helpful suggestions. I'll change my html version to html 5, just an oversight. Also, the nav is using the same font as the header but I haven't installed the fonts on the website, I need to do that! Could you explain the second paragraph again? What needs to be repeated on the nav div?
June 4, 201313 yr Hi Caleb, I think you're off to a good start! You've got some cool effects going on, too A few comments: More asymmetry might look good in the header. Try pushing the cross off to the right a bit in your banner image, and pushing the words "University of Gloucestershire Christian Union" even more to the right. And in in the navigation, try moving the page links to the left, closer to the logo. Something's wrong with your footer (I'm viewing on a Mac -- see attached pics of the bottom of my browsers). In Safari, it cuts off the bottom of your content. In Firefox, it's fine at first but if the screen is narrow enough* to push down the content then it's cut off there too. Your footer is also very large. I figure you'll be putting some content in there but even still, in relation to the other elements on your page it's very big, I'd make it shorter. For the two small banners (the Twitter feed and the RSS one), try to centre the contents more, because they're a little squished up against the top. Also, the font-size used for the tweet is a little too small. Horizontal scroll isn't working, so when your screen is narrow enough* that content gets cut off, it's literally cut off, you can't scroll over to access it. * Narrow screens aren't just about physically narrow screens, like on small computers or handheld devices, but also regular-sized screens that have a high zoom set, like for people with visual disabilities. Anyway I hope this has been helpful!!! Good luck to you
Create an account or sign in to comment