May 17, 200818 yr Just curious. Posted as a poll so its more anonymous than replying (but you can still reply as well if you want)
May 17, 200818 yr Shiver me timbers etc Yes, I now use free software exclusively, but I have to confess to having used a naughty version of photo$hop while my mac was still alive. That was before I learned how to use GIMP, mind...
May 17, 200818 yr I have used cracked software, mostly for the "one use" times like when I want to burn a bootable ISO from windows. I think that most people will use cracked software, but established design companies and schools/universities will have licensed copies for all manner of legal reasons. It is unreasonable to expect a n00b to learn how to use Photoshop with a real ( £570 ) version. Adobe knows this, and also knows that the kids using cracked copies today are the designers using legit copies tomorrow.
May 17, 200818 yr It is unreasonable to expect a n00b to learn how to use Photoshop with a real ( £570 ) version. Adobe knows this, and also knows that the kids using cracked copies today are the designers using legit copies tomorrow. I agree with that. My philosophy is, if you are making money from it then you have to have a legal copy of it. Using an illegal copy for learning purposes in one thing, but using it to make money is a totally different thing all together. As for me, at home my software was once legal but now isn't. I got it from college as the college had a deal with someone so we got copies of photoshop, dreamwaever, fireworks and flash, where we were allowed to use them while we were at college and then uninstall them once we had finished our course...I still haven't found the time to uninstall them yet. But I don't make any money from them and hardly ever use them any more. Obviously at work they are commercial licences and that is where I do most of my designing these days.
May 17, 200818 yr Work bought me a copy of Photoshop the other day, everything else is free-ware or Microsoft down there. I totally agree with you php_penguin. There is no way Adobe would be where it is today without youngsters learning Photoshop on pirated copies. You get to a certain age where you have to ability to buy the software – and most people do, that's why I reckon they are turning a blind eye to it all.
May 17, 200818 yr A lot of my licences came with hardware etc which I have bought in the past. But I do have legit licences. I also get a lot of Microsoft products such as Expression, Vista, Server 2008, Office Enterprise for pretty much free (well I pay around £200 a year for about 200 dvd's and CD's with unlimited site wide licences. Its called the Microsoft Action Pack)
May 17, 200818 yr Although I voted for the "cracked version of commercial software", a combination of the two (free + cracked) or licensed+cracked would've been better. I got my windows xp with my laptop for example but I'm using some software that I currently can't afford.
May 17, 200818 yr Im 16 and theres no way I could afford the 2000 +$ i have in cracked software. Once I get older and if Im still doing this then I think i would buy the software
May 17, 200818 yr Im 16 and theres no way I could afford the 2000 +$ i have in cracked software. Once I get older and if Im still doing this then I think i would buy the software Same, and the student versions are just alot of effort.
May 18, 200818 yr Currently cracked but looking to buy a legit version of Photoshop over the summer so I can start doing some freelance work. I'm doing freelance currently but for friends, and more importantly for experience and not cash!
May 18, 200818 yr Of course I wouldn't have any pirated software - the cheek of it I say! [edited after morning coffee - to make it clearer] As a non-designer I don't use design-related software much and definitely not in any commercial sense. I only poke around so that I can communicate better with designers and understand their processes a bit better. I do have a couple of well known programmes that were totally legit under corporate licensing but, not working for that company any more, will now have run-out. These packages are 5 years off the cutting-edge and cannot be replaced without spending a lot of money to get a ton of features and a package that won't ever be used. I have already got their open-source alternatives and when my laptop gets replaced in a couple of months that's all I will have. It's just I wanted to know how those particular packages work but not to actually use them to produce anything if that makes sense. I have 100% legit copies of all the software I use regularly and for my business. *Hopes that doesn't condemn his soul to the fires of hell*
May 18, 200818 yr All my software is licenced and legal. Being a thief is not in my nature and certainly not worth the bad khama that ripping someone off would bring. In the past where I've not been able to afford some bit of software I've used free/low cost alternatives until I could afford the real thing - typical example, years ago I had a free version of Lotus's Office Suite and used that until I could afford MS Office.
Create an account or sign in to comment