Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Looking to improve

Featured Replies

For the last few months my site has just sat there doing nothing. So I feel that as my site has only ever had one look that it needs a bit of a make over and maybe even a total face lift just to brighten it up a little bit.

 

I did ask when I first joined what you thought of it, and since then I did change some bits of it with your suggestions. So I am here to ask again, what are your opinions of my site as it stands? What would you change, do different or add to my site to help it look a little fresher? Should I just start from scratch and come up with a new layout or just freshen up what I have

 

 

just on a side note...I know there are some problems with usability and accessibility (ie if the css or images are switched off the site is very unusable), so I will be working on that aspect of getting it fully working for all, so now you know I am aware of that :)

 

 

 

ohh and for those who can't be bothered to click the link in my signature you can click here instead :p

Well you're totally out of my league design-wise but there's nothing like a pepping-up of your copy to add some oomph and get the creative juices flowing. My humble skills are at your disposal should you want them.

  • Author

Thank you, once I decide on the structure of the site and what I need content wise to achieve it I will take you up on your offer :D

Hey Dizi.

 

I like your website a lot but I would suggest making the text a bit bigger if you decide to change anything.

 

I'm a little groggy as I've only just got back from France, so sorry for the short post!

I would second the slightly bigger text.

 

This is an awesome design, an idea for pepping it up would be to go with the current trend of "useful (and large) footers" perhaps change the rounded bottom and do something radical with the footer?

 

At the moment the only thing about your design which I have an issue with is the drop shadow on the bottom, it doesn't seem to make sense considering there is no left or right shadow, yet the menu sits underneath the page on the left.

 

So changing the footer would also *fix* that :)

 

But I don't think that is drastically requires any changing! It really is fab as it is *cough* smashing magazine *cough*

Well, what's wrong with that :p? It's perfect, you know! Maybe slightly bigger text would be good?

It's very hard to make suggestions to a website that's already close to perfect. I have one idea though that might be something. Since your website uses only type over color i thought maybe you can make some kind of theme selector. So user can change the color scheme of the website. A nice way to display your awesome CSS skills :p.

 

Hope i didnt step on any pink toes :p anywayz just a thought.

 

Greetz R-J

  • Author

:wub: you guys are all so sweet. Thank you all for commenting and keep the ideas coming :p I just find designing a site for myself the hardest thing to design as I am never happy.

 

I will increase the font size, as you are right it is a little too little :) Not sure about a big clunky footer, as I don't really have much to add into a footer, but will play about with it and I will think about a style changer for it, as it might be a nice thing to add as well :)

I just find designing a site for myself the hardest thing to design as I am never happy.

Amen to that! I'm 2 months down the line with Rawkes and I still haven't got a solid release date yet because I keep changing/adding stuff! :o

 

You're site is great though, you don't need to do a complete overhaul.

he he - I know what you're feeling Dizi, I'm always playing around with new looks for my own sites, As soon as I implement one design I'm fed up of it!

 

Are you really itching to redesign or is this just a casual thought? I'd suggest playing round with some ideas seeing if anything hot comes out of the creative juices.

  • 3 weeks later...

I can't find a thing I don't like about your website, it's .... PERFECT! :D

  • Author
I can't find a thing I don't like about your website, it's .... PERFECT! :D

 

:wub: Thanks

 

blog?

 

I tried a blog a while ago but it had no direction so just sat there doing nothing. I do have plans for a new one, but not for a little while yet as I am still planning how it would work and I am still wondering if I should get it, its own domain as it might be big.

 

 

 

 

Also a few things mentioned here have helped me come up with some ideas for DiziDesigns, so even though it looks like nothing is going on there is some stuff behind the scenes and I am hoping that by the end of June they will be done :)

It sure is very nice! I like the navigation, quite original. One thing I would fix though, in the multimedia section, is the "the links within the flash file have been disables." I would also capitalize the first letter too. Other than that, it looks all good to me.

  • Author
It sure is very nice! I like the navigation, quite original. One thing I would fix though, in the multimedia section, is the "the links within the flash file have been disables." I would also capitalize the first letter too. Other than that, it looks all good to me.

 

 

Teehee thanks :) I am terrible when it comes to things like that, I will sort that out tonight

I would consider making greater use of screen real estate by breaking out of the 800x600 limit. That might mean you have to have a rethink of how it all fits together, and may be more work than you want to put in. Looks-wise I love it, but I'd like everything to be a bit bigger, not just the text... unshackle yourself from your screen size restraints and I think everything will have a lot more room to breathe. :)

Dizi I think the site is 99% pefect apart from maybe make the text 1pt larger. Depends on your text prefrences as I for one hate text that is too large, I think the colour balance and size of the site is perfext and to be honest until It starts to look dated; I wouldnt change it at all

 

Unlike me, i'm currently making "prototypes" for what must be my 5th design in 12 months lol i just can't please myself on my own site and hate my current one lol.

  • Author
I would consider making greater use of screen real estate by breaking out of the 800x600 limit. That might mean you have to have a rethink of how it all fits together, and may be more work than you want to put in. Looks-wise I love it, but I'd like everything to be a bit bigger, not just the text... unshackle yourself from your screen size restraints and I think everything will have a lot more room to breathe. :)

 

 

That is a good idea, I think I will put it on my Christmas list, as I get a lot of time off from work over Christmas so that would be a nice thing to fill it with :)

 

I don't design for 800*600 any more I think that site was one of the last ones I designed for 800*600 so it would be nice to show that in my portfolio :)

  • Author
Dizi I think the site is 99% pefect apart from maybe make the text 1pt larger. Depends on your text prefrences as I for one hate text that is too large, I think the colour balance and size of the site is perfext and to be honest until It starts to look dated; I wouldnt change it at all

 

Unlike me, i'm currently making "prototypes" for what must be my 5th design in 12 months lol i just can't please myself on my own site and hate my current one lol.

 

 

I don't mind large fonts on site as long as it works with the layout, my portfolio I don't want to go to big as I think it is quite a delicate site and something too big might spoil it. The text is something that I am working on at the moment, as I am also going to change the line height a bit so that it gives the illusion of more space, which I feel is something that lets it down at the moment, the text seems all squashed up.

Well, if you need help in anyway, i would be able to help you out ;)

 

EDIT: Hope you like

 

post-2362-1212022242_thumb.png

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.