Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Eager New Site

Featured Replies

Hi i'm John and i'm part of the PokeInTheEye website dev. Team. I have started a personal project called WikiGamez.com and am currently looking for people who would like to get involved in the maintenance and growth of the site. http://www.wikigamez.com

 

Iam open to ideas and look forward to meeting new friends with the same drive and interests as my own

Please get in touch if you would like to get involved, many thanks!

  • Author

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

  • Author

What's the day rate?

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

  • Author

how much are you offering a month

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

 

 

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

 

 

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

 

 

Hmmm, these responses seem rather similar.

 

What assurances would you provide that should the website become a commercial success in the future that contributors would be given a share of that success? Apart from registering a domain and throwing up a website that I wouldn't personally be happy to be associated with at this stage, what would you be bringing to the table?

  • Author

Hmmm, these responses seem rather similar.

 

What assurances would you provide that should the website become a commercial success in the future that contributors would be given a share of that success? Apart from registering a domain and throwing up a website that I wouldn't personally be happy to be associated with at this stage, what would you be bringing to the table?

Apologies for the similar replies, you have quite rightly pointed out that the domain and site - as it stands - has been 'thrown up' and that emphasises the early stages of the project. The project being in its early stages means that any potential contributers would - in a sense - be part of it from the start thus meaning would be involved in the financial growth as a rule. I'm relativly new to this kind of community website but my skills in the development of the site would consist of fresh new ideas to attract members, key optimisation, a great personality ;) and endless hours of commitment to making this work for everyone who decides to be involved. May i ask if you were to be part of the team, what you would bring to the table?

What assurances would you provide that should the website become a commercial success in the future that contributors would be given a share of that success?

 

None, anyone who does, walk away

  • Author

None, anyone who does, walk away

I agree and must admit that I struggled to answer this. There is no real way to assure contributers of any financial gain, but trust is a hard thing to build especially if you havn't met personally.

Would 'you have my word' suffice?? :)

potential contributers would - in a sense - be part of it from the start thus meaning would be involved in the financial growth as a rule.

 

I replied to this thread a few minutes back but it doesn't seem to have been picked up by the forum, I'll try and respond as I did before but don't be too surprised if the original pops up!

 

Anyway aside from your word, what legal assurances would be in place that would give contributors some certainty that they will be remunerated if the website were to be a commercial success? As you are based in the UK, would you be registering the website as a sole trader or would you be registering with companies house as a company limited by shares so that shares could be issued to contributors?

 

I'm relativly new to this kind of community website but my skills in the development of the site would consist of fresh new ideas to attract members, key optimisation, a great personality ;) and endless hours of commitment to making this work for everyone who decides to be involved.

 

These are great skills/qualities to have if you are running a hobbiest website, but what skills do you have that would demonstrate your ability to turn a hobbiest website into a commericial one? Monetizing a hobbiest website is no mean feat.

 

May i ask if you were to be part of the team, what you would bring to the table?

 

Aside from my many years of design experience I also come from a commercial background, working in senior positions for international companies. I also work with SME's in an advisory capacity. I have a proven track record of successfully monetizing websites.

I agree and must admit that I struggled to answer this. There is no real way to assure contributers of any financial gain, but trust is a hard thing to build especially if you havn't met personally.

Would 'you have my word' suffice?? :)

 

Trust has nothing to do with it, I don't understand how you or anyone can claim there will be profits in the business or provide proof of that if its not even traded.

 

I can say join me you will get £20,000 by end of year 2 sadly it does not work out like that I've been involved with plenty of start ups who think they will be millionaires by end of year 3 and they will "sort me out" for my troubles, reality 8 years on and they are still trying to "make it"

Edited by pandadoodle

  • Author

I replied to this thread a few minutes back but it doesn't seem to have been picked up by the forum, I'll try and respond as I did before but don't be too surprised if the original pops up!

 

Anyway aside from your word, what legal assurances would be in place that would give contributors some certainty that they will be remunerated if the website were to be a commercial success? As you are based in the UK, would you be registering the website as a sole trader or would you be registering with companies house as a company limited by shares so that shares could be issued to contributors?

 

 

 

These are great skills/qualities to have if you are running a hobbiest website, but what skills do you have that would demonstrate your ability to turn a hobbiest website into a commericial one? Monetizing a hobbiest website is no mean feat.

 

 

 

Aside from my many years of design experience I also come from a commercial background, working in senior positions for international companies. I also work with SME's in an advisory capacity. I have a proven track record of successfully monetizing websites.

Iam looking for people that are passionate about gaming and this project, i plan will unite gamers and techheads alike in a fun online enviroment. The revenue I presume won't be as big as your usual line of work seems to pay - unless you know of any other way to attract 1,000,000 plus mothly users to a 'hobbiest' site. I never asked for you to join me in a business venture and the legal side of this site has not yet been established because as you know, it is only an idea and the beginning of a project. If on the other hand, you do see potential in the site, Iam happy to arrange a formality where we can discuss legal obligations and a plan for the next few years for the site. Iam aware that monetizing any site is no mean feat, but with the right ideas, drive and commitment, I know that wikigamez could - with the correct guidance - become a lucrative business.

I'm afraid getting people to join a team on promise of a return in the future if the site monetises correctly is as likely as getting a loan from the bank under the same terms. It just won't happen.

 

You're better off formulating a business plan that plans out the next 5 years out-goings and incomings and how you plan to effectively monetise the project over that time as well lay down all your plans for marketing and the business structure.

 

Once you have this and the funds in place, look at hiring in the required professionals who will help put the plan in to action for their required fee.

  • Author

Trust has nothing to do with it, I don't understand how you or anyone can claim there will be profits in the business or provide proof of that if its not even traded.

 

I can say join me you will get £20,000 by end of year 2 sadly it does not work out like that I've been involved with plenty of start ups who think they will be millionaires by end of year 3 and they will "sort me out" for my troubles, reality 8 years on and they are still trying to "make it"

I must stress that iam looking for people who are passionate about gaming/tech that want to be involved in a project, that has never claimed to give a return although iam optimistic.

Iam looking for people that are passionate about gaming and this project, i plan will unite gamers and techheads alike in a fun online enviroment.

 

There are perhaps more websites than users when it comes to communities that 'unite gamers in a fun, online environment. That isn't to say that what you are trying to achieve is impossible, but you would be entering a highly saturated and competitive market where advertising revenue makes up the bulk of the return.

 

I never asked for you to join me in a business venture and the legal side of this site has not yet been established because as you know, it is only an idea and the beginning of a project.

 

You might not think you were talking about a business venture but in reality you were. You were looking for individuals to invest their time into a project under the impression that they would be given a return of any profits, in simple terms that is exactly what a business made up of partners is doing and for that reason your word alone would be a) unattractive to potential contributors and B) indiciative of business naivity and in itself a reason for me to say no thanks at this stage.

 

You might find a better response if you remove the offer of a share of future profits altogether. Why not just advertise for voluntary contributors and make it clear that what you are offering is the chance to be part of a fledgling web community, a chance to help to develop it, but with a clear understanding that anyone who anticipates a financial return on their invested time need not apply. There are plenty of individuals out there that would be happy to do this, but alas I am not one of them.

 

All the best with this and keep us updated with your progress.

  • Author

Is there no optimistic people left out there??? I can happily build the site on my own but in truth, where would the fun be in that? I was looking for like minded people that would enjoy participating in such a site and if - in the future - it gains a return, then that would be a bonus to the fun involved in such a 'hobbiest' project. Simply an easy way to get to know people with the same interests as my own and work on something as a team. Who knows it may be successful financially it may not. bottom line is any contributer would under no circumstnces be out of pocket as a result of participating, unless they are the hardnosed business type that value their personal hobby time as a financial loss

Who knows it may be successful financially it may not.

 

I don't think you should say "take my word it will make money" and then this?

Is there no optimistic people left out there??? I can happily build the site on my own but in truth, where would the fun be in that? I was looking for like minded people that would enjoy participating in such a site and if - in the future - it gains a return, then that would be a bonus to the fun involved in such a 'hobbiest' project. Simply an easy way to get to know people with the same interests as my own and work on something as a team. Who knows it may be successful financially it may not. bottom line is any contributer would under no circumstnces be out of pocket as a result of participating, unless they are the hardnosed business type that value their personal hobby time as a financial loss

 

The problem is this is a forum of professionals, many of which run their own businesses to pay their rent and put food on the table. This means every hour spent at a computer is like an extra hour spent at work .

 

You're better off approaching friends and friends of friends with more time.

Is there no optimistic people left out there??? I can happily build the site on my own but in truth, where would the fun be in that? I was looking for like minded people that would enjoy participating in such a site and if - in the future - it gains a return, then that would be a bonus to the fun involved in such a 'hobbiest' project. Simply an easy way to get to know people with the same interests as my own and work on something as a team. Who knows it may be successful financially it may not. bottom line is any contributer would under no circumstnces be out of pocket as a result of participating, unless they are the hardnosed business type that value their personal hobby time as a financial loss

 

Try doing a weekly shop for 3 on optimism.

 

If I charge my time at say £75 p.h how at the end of the project are you going to cover my costs? If you can't I'm out of pocket.

 

Your confusing a business model with a hobby

Edited by pandadoodle

  • Author

There are perhaps more websites than users when it comes to communities that 'unite gamers in a fun, online environment. That isn't to say that what you are trying to achieve is impossible, but you would be entering a highly saturated and competitive market where advertising revenue makes up the bulk of the return.

 

 

 

You might not think you were talking about a business venture but in reality you were. You were looking for individuals to invest their time into a project under the impression that they would be given a return of any profits, in simple terms that is exactly what a business made up of partners is doing and for that reason your word alone would be a) unattractive to potential contributors and B) indiciative of business naivity and in itself a reason for me to say no thanks at this stage.

 

You might find a better response if you remove the offer of a share of future profits altogether. Why not just advertise for voluntary contributors and make it clear that what you are offering is the chance to be part of a fledgling web community, a chance to help to develop it, but with a clear understanding that anyone who anticipates a financial return on their invested time need not apply. There are plenty of individuals out there that would be happy to do this, but alas I am not one of them.

 

All the best with this and keep us updated with your progress.

Thank you for your advice. Iam well aware of business ventures as have setup a small business of our own with my business partner. This project was in no way intended to be an advert for a vacancy but that is my own fault for not making that clear. I assure you that we would not be publicly advertising an unfinished business site that we intended hiring people to work on, in a forum of any kind with the greatest respect. I Thank you again and i can happily say that i have better knowledge as to how to get people involved in a fun site thats not tied down to business :)

Edited by wikiguy

  • Author

Try doing a weekly shop for 3 on optimism

This brings a smile to my face and i understand what you are saying. I must have far too much spare time on my hands... or enjoy spliting my work life from my personal once in a while, this project being part of my personal :)

Edited by wikiguy

  • Author

Try doing a weekly shop for 3 on optimism.

 

If I charge my time at say £75 p.h how at the end of the project are you going to cover my costs? If you can't I'm out of pocket.

 

Your confusing a business model with a hobby

With respect, again I strongly feel that it is not myself who is confusing a business project with a hobby as i have said. Iam aware that this is a hobby and am only asking for people who would LIKE to be involved. :)

  • Author

I don't think you should say "take my word it will make money" and then this?

Can i ask where and when i said this? because i'm positive that this was not what i said in the slightest

  • Author

The problem is this is a forum of professionals, many of which run their own businesses to pay their rent and put food on the table. This means every hour spent at a computer is like an extra hour spent at work .

 

You're better off approaching friends and friends of friends with more time.

I understand completely what you are saying. I presumed there might be other people like myself who enjoys working at the computer during the day then enoys personal projects at night. and i have a family of two young kids but still find the time to do this

wkiguy read post 5 onwards by you

 

the site as it stands is only worth the time i have put into creating it. I would expect in the future, that revenue can be made though advertising although as you may well know, traffic needs to be gained first. Iam looking for a team of people with a passion for gaming and technology to bring ideas to the table and effectively build wikigamez as a brand. It does seem like i'm asking for a lot with no return but I promise you that commitment to the site will return in the future when the site is fully established.

Edited by pandadoodle

I understand completely what you are saying. I presumed there might be other people like myself who enjoys working at the computer during the day then enoys personal projects at night. and i have a family of two young kids but still find the time to do this

 

Yeah i know what you're saying, after all i do have personal projects on the go myself and some with groups of interested parties (just like what you're after). I don't see what you are after as wrong, however i do see this as the wrong place to look for those like minded individuals. You're better off looking on game forum etc or among friends.

 

Their will be people out there who are interested in joing up with you so don't give up the hunt.

 

P.S. Site looks good mate.

The problem is your on a forum

 

1. People will always look at the thread and add in 2p even if you don't ask for it (like me for example :) )

 

2. Its the wrong forum

 

Your asking for professionals to give up time to work on a hobby* (which was put across as a business to start with), you need to find another forum and get those people involved (gaming, computer tech and so on) I posted on here offering a stake in a business I've started that has legal, financing and a business model in place and no takers I moved on and searched for another forum type media to find the skill set I needed and I found it. And arranged a deal.

 

If your clear form the get go then people will have a go, I like to game I might have been interested but as it was presented wrong from the get go I've got no interest in it. Good Luck

 

*If I was going to give up any more time to work on a hobby id be trying to get my handycap down to 0 and get a pga tour card ;)

Edited by pandadoodle

  • Author

CORRECTION:

 

Hi, Iam looking for volunteers to participate in a NON-PROFIT fun, community website. This project will give myself and any contributers the chance to get to know each other and have an enjoyable time creating our own online/tech gaming community. Also a chance for users/contributers tyo have their say and add their own content relating to the world of gaming :D

  • Author

Apologies after posting my last post i read the two above, wrong forum, sorry :blush1:

I have learned a bit from my friend sitting next to m and from some of the comments that were posted and i thank you all for your thoughts :)

 

Does anyone happen to know any popular gaming forums :p

Edited by wikiguy

The popular ones may have something in the T&C to stop you doing what your about and going to do ;)

 

But Xbox, Playstation Network all have forums Gamespot has a large forum also

  • Author

Yeah i know what you're saying, after all i do have personal projects on the go myself and some with groups of interested parties (just like what you're after). I don't see what you are after as wrong, however i do see this as the wrong place to look for those like minded individuals. You're better off looking on game forum etc or among friends.

 

Their will be people out there who are interested in joing up with you so don't give up the hunt.

 

P.S. Site looks good mate.

Thank you :) and yours also, nice portfolio

  • Author

The popular ones may have something in the T&C to stop you doing what your about and going to do ;)

 

But Xbox, Playstation Network all have forums Gamespot has a large forum also

"what your about and going to do"

You seem to know me so well already :p

Hm, interesting.. PM me some more details.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.