Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UK Web Host?

Featured Replies

I think it has come to a time where I need to use a proper web host...

 

At the moment I am using a server in the Netherlands where I basically have a folder, and I drag files into it for free. This is great for just putting up php files that dont do much, but now im looking into wordpress and mysql, and I need a web host who supports these and has a nice user friendly CP.

 

All im looking to do is create a website for myself where I display my portfolio, blogs, contact forms etc, so nothing that will use up loads of bandwidth.

 

I have a few requirments though...

 

- I want to pay no more than £6 per month really, but have the usability of mysql, wordpress support and that sort of stuff on a no hassle set up.

- Uk based would be good, its close to me and would be better for the support side.

- No catches, I dont want to be ripped off because I missed or didnt understand anything

- Obviously as much up time as possible

 

Whats a good amount of disk space? Like I said, I will probably upload lots of files and content, I am assuming 500MB will suffice?

 

Also, I have a domain name with reg-123... How would I point this to a new web host?

 

Any recomendations?

 

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=8971

 

That 24month delux plan doesnt look too bad!

 

Sorry for the amount of questions and lack of knowlede, but there is so many out there I dont know where to start! :(

Hi Alias

 

Take a look at "nodaddy.com", because thats really what you get with most of the oversold US based hosting, sadly.

 

Depending on your target audience too, will decide where you want to host the site, because if you host it in the US, and your target audience is UK based, your not going to rank very well at all, with search engines returning results based on location of the website, these days.

 

£6 a month will get quite a lot these days (200mb+ with us), even though that is a fairly small budget, it would still more than adequatly cover what your looking for, even with a company like ours where our prices are knowingly higher than most, but with servers that are practically idle 24/7 and people you can really speak to on the phone if you need help too :-) Oh, and we use cpanel for our control panel too, which I'm told by customers that its one of the better ones they have come across..

 

500mb is an absolute TON of space, probably far too much for what your asking for, dont forget, web pages are aimed at small file sizes, fast loading times, and even a 50mb account will easily cope with well over 1000 well built pages, and still give you room for email, statistics and such like...

 

A default wordpress install would fit on a floppy disk, so dont over-estimate how much space things really need on the web, its very different to computer applications. You would only ever need the endless GB's of disk space that is oversold by many if you were uploading lots of documents, video's, music files and such like, but typical websites like yours never use more than 20-30mb of space, even with a big portfolio of design work on the website...

 

Something like wordpress can be everything, your portfolio, your blog, contact methods and more, all in 1 simple application that can be installed in less than 5 minutes.

 

Having your name at 123-reg isnt the end of the world, you simply change your name servers at 123reg to that of your new host and thats it, within 72 hours it all starts working :-)

 

If you need any help then do give us a call :-)

Depending on your target audience too, will decide where you want to host the site, because if you host it in the US, and your target audience is UK based, your not going to rank very well at all, with search engines returning results based on location of the website, these days.

 

Is this in anyway true? Has anybody got any evidence to back this up?

I'm not getting at the poster, I'm just curious to know where the evidence is for this.

and to reply to the OP..

 

I recommend

www.bigwetfish.co.uk for hosting.

 

- cheap

- with servers on both sides of the river. !!

- mysql, php - all that database stuff

- must be 150 add-ins/scripts (like wordpress, joomla, coppermine, mambo, nucleus, drupal) between softaculous and fantastico.

- customer server is local and excellent. (you might even get a mobile number to text problems through!)

- ticket based support, that is on an independent server. So if their system goes down or has problems you can stll contact them.

- smtp, and a bundle of email addresses

 

But stay with 123-reg for the domain names, simply because of the instant control you have regarding nameservers and transfers.

Is this in anyway true? Has anybody got any evidence to back this up?

I'm not getting at the poster, I'm just curious to know where the evidence is for this.

 

Yes thats true if you go though google articles you will surely understand, that its better to go for UK hosting provide if your target customers are UK based, as your site will load faster from UK network in this case, at site load speed is a major factor for SEO.

i 2 am looking for a decent UK server come on

 

you can specify your requirement to get suggestion regarding UK web hosting providers.

Our UK hosting comes with Solid Unix Servers

 

Host Multi Domains

 

24/7 Email Support

 

99.9% Uptime

 

Regular Backups

 

Load Balancing

 

MySQL Databases

 

FrontPage Exts.

 

Free Software - ONE CLICK SCRIPT INSTALLATION via FANTASTICO DELUXE Installer.

 

Website Builder

 

24 Hr FTP

 

Latest cPanel

 

Refund Guarantee

 

Based in the UK

@rallport : I can suggest you 6te account. I tried them myself; they are pretty good.

All they want from you is some activity on a regular basis... You may give it a go.

 

Thanks

Steve

Whats a good amount of disk space? Like I said, I will probably upload lots of files and content, I am assuming 500MB will suffice?

 

Also, I have a domain name with reg-123... How would I point this to a new web host?

This is a common question, how do you know how much webspace you need?

I suggest you download the CMS (such as Word Press) and unzip to a folder

Add to this any gallery or images you plan

The database does not normally need to be include

Most of my customers get by with 100MB for Word Press and a forum

Adding a gallery often increases this to 250MB

However, I have a customer who is a photographer, and his gallery is just over 2GB

 

For the Domain Name, you simply update the nameservers, from those supplied by the new webhost

Normally this gives you access to their server within 1 hour, but email can take longer; the process is normally completed within 48 hours

euk hosting is pretty good

 

i am on their copper plan, free domain, unlimited emails ect

 

200mb and 5gb a month of bandwidth i think..

 

£30 a year and i have not had an issue with them

I would defiantly recommend pixelinternet.co.uk. You can get 1gb web space unlimited bandwidth php, 1 msql database for £1.66 a month. They have more expensive packages with more space ect. There support is very good!

 

Thanks,

Ben

Is this in anyway true? Has anybody got any evidence to back this up?

I'm not getting at the poster, I'm just curious to know where the evidence is for this.

 

Hi again chtyrone, just wanted to revisit and catchup on some of the threads here..

 

The best way to prove this is to do a simple 1 word google search for something like "plumber" for example, and you will see that not only will your top results be UK based, but often, they will appear in order of distance from where Google thinks you are, and yes, they should all be in the same country as the person doing the search, its based on IP locations.

 

What the search engines are trying to do is no different to what directory enquiries have been doing forever, and thats to provide accurate results, that are relevant... You wouldnt be too amused if the directory enquiries people gave you a phone number to a plumber 5000+ miles away in another country, and so search engines are doing the same thing.

 

You can try it with any search term, just use 1 word, electrician, florist etc, etc... Its not difficult to do as most search engines can easily figure out where your website is in the world, in relation to where you are searching from.

 

Speed itself is NOT the "MAJOR" factor, but it is a part of the bigger picture too, they are counting speed as part of the equation, but its not the top priority, and you may find some slower sites rank higer if they are more relevant and have better content.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.