Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How many of u use dropbox and how safe is it?

Featured Replies

Hello friends,

 

Just want to know how many of u use dropbox and how safe is it?

 

 

I'm a bit old fashioned. I keep everything in-house on a networked/raided NAS and anything really really important on an back-up usb drive as well. I just don't trust this cloud stuff at all!!!!

 

Anyone ever watched the film The Net or Conspiracy Theory? They're watching us all I say!!! You've been warned!!! :crazy::crazy:

 

Regs,

A paranoid old git...

^ LOL.

 

I've always just set up an ftp drive in windows that connects to one of my web hosts that i use for storage. Effectively my web host then becomes my X: drive. Easy, and cheap too :)

Having said all that, a colleague has just shown me his dropbox account and how it works and I've signed up!!!

 

I does look good but I would still keep a 'hard copy' of everything locally...

I've always just set up an ftp drive in windows that connects to one of my web hosts that i use for storage. Effectively my web host then becomes my X: drive. Easy, and cheap too :)

 

Thats a good idea too. I've never tried that one...

...But I always store all the supporting work for a website in a folder with the website Ive done (not a public folder of course!)

 

Numb

Dropbox is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

 

Mine is already packed with things unfortunately. I don't store personal information there, it's mainly being used for my music projects.

If anyone wants a dropbox account please register though this link - that'll get me extra few megs ;)

 

Cheers

 

https://www.dropbox....ls/NTU0ODgxMjY5

Thats a good idea too. I've never tried that one...

...But I always store all the supporting work for a website in a folder with the website Ive done (not a public folder of course!)

 

Numb

 

Yeah, once a projects completely done, everything including the associated documentation get's zipped and archived on my external hard drive. I would never place my only copy completely in third party trust. I generally keep three copies of everything. Disc, hard drive, and cloud.

 

I did once have a webhost delete everything, my pc fail and then to top it off, i dropped my hard drive and it smashed :(

 

Although i took my broken hard drive to a computer store and they managed to recover about 85% of everything with some magic light pen thing. Awesome. Expensive though :(

 

So i'm all for backing up, backing up the backups, and then backing up some more. It's just not worth risking.

 

GMX has a good free file storage system, i have literature stored on their from like 2 years ago :p

@ bocaj,

 

I was intruiged by your idea of setting up an ftp drive and it took minutes to do - nice one! Of course I found a tutorial to do it and thought I'd share it: How to set up an FTP drive on Windows

 

Cheers for that!

 

Regs,

Numb

 

Drop Box is great - im an instant convert!!!! Get Dropbox!!!

I have used Dropbox in the past and plan to for a current project; Would def recommend to others!

I was intruiged by your idea of setting up an ftp drive and it took minutes to do - nice one! Of course I found a tutorial to do it and thought I'd share it: How to set up an FTP drive on Windows

It is super easy, most people don't realise windows has FTP function built in, i first did it way back in xp.

 

Some hosts give away webdrive software, which basically does the same thing, but just offers a branded interface.

 

I must say though, it definitely doesn't mean you can do away with your ftp software, it just means you don't have to use it to get the odd file.

  • Author

ok one thing i have noticed about dropbox it lets u create a folder on ur local pc but if u copy files in the dropbox folder in ur local pc that doesnt ensure that all ur files get copied in the dropbox folder u have to manually upload it from the website??

 

I did once have a webhost delete everything, my pc fail and then to top it off, i dropped my hard drive and it smashed :(

 

 

Similar situation: Many years ago we had a house fire. Lost all my computing equipment. Bar two things: a WD harddrive and a Netgear switch. Both still worked! Thankfully I didn't loose any data. But it was a very close shave. Since then, like you, I back-up and back-up again!

 

Regs,

Numb

 

PS no one was hurt, although my hands got ripped to shreads pulling the cat out!

Everyone always always says 'Backup! Backup! Backup!', but until you lose, or nearly lose everything by not backing up. I don't think it rings home in most people :p

I've used dropbox, I had designed something and the file size was way too large to email to my client, got my client to sign up too and wa la!

 

But I only use it for that purpose, once the client had accessed the file and saved it elsewhere I ended up deleting it, keeping my dropbox empty. Guess I a bit paranoid too, don't like to keep things online.

 

So have all my local stuff backed up.

 

Works for me! ;)

I've recently signed up to Dropbox, won't put anything very private on it, but think it'll be useful for sharing pics with relatives and for web design projects, especially one I'm doing for someone abroad

I've just signed up and i'm loving it. When i'm at my other job i can't do any web design on the sly because the computer is locked out by them damn admin types, but now with dropbox i can download the latest versions of my work at a click. :clapping:

I have now become a total convert to Dropbox. I've put all my downloaded fonts and brushes etc on it so no matter where I am I can get them!

 

I definitely recommmend it! To get your account just click:

 

 

Regs,

Numb

I use a combination of Dropbox, and Cloudly.

 

I've got the 50GB account on Dropbox, and cannot live a day without it. I also use Dropzone to quickly share my files form Dropbox.

 

@sash_007: If you set up Dropbox on multiple computers, any action to take on either (add, edit, delete file) will be automatically synchronized with the web, and your other computers. This means that if you drag your file into the dropbox folder on your laptop, it will appear in the dropbox folder on your desktop.

 

One thing many don't know is that you can always revert to an earlier version of a file, and even restore a deleted one. Perfect for PSD's! I believe you get a 14 day history for free, with an option of purchasing unlimited history for about $40.

 

I use Dropbox for my Music, Work related files like PSD's, PDF's and usually for quick sharing of files via Dropzone.

 

I also mentioned Cloudly App, which is a service similar to Dropbox with one great perk: automatically uploads your screenshot and copies a super short URL into your clipboard! (Mac only, I believe). You get 50MB free for now, and they're planning to introduce pricing and raise the storage limits.

 

Anyways,

 

Cheers!

 

Won't be back for a long time, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

  • Author

I use a combination of Dropbox, and Cloudly.

 

I've got the 50GB account on Dropbox, and cannot live a day without it. I also use Dropzone to quickly share my files form Dropbox.

 

@sash_007: If you set up Dropbox on multiple computers, any action to take on either (add, edit, delete file) will be automatically synchronized with the web, and your other computers. This means that if you drag your file into the dropbox folder on your laptop, it will appear in the dropbox folder on your desktop.

 

One thing many don't know is that you can always revert to an earlier version of a file, and even restore a deleted one. Perfect for PSD's! I believe you get a 14 day history for free, with an option of purchasing unlimited history for about $40.

 

I use Dropbox for my Music, Work related files like PSD's, PDF's and usually for quick sharing of files via Dropzone.

 

I also mentioned Cloudly App, which is a service similar to Dropbox with one great perk: automatically uploads your screenshot and copies a super short URL into your clipboard! (Mac only, I believe). You get 50MB free for now, and they're planning to introduce pricing and raise the storage limits.

 

Anyways,

 

Cheers!

 

Won't be back for a long time, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts.

 

 

 

thanks for the info empek 

 

 

lol again u wont be back for a long time :wacko:

 

 

I use it - have the free account (2gb) its good for sharing out files with multiple parties for my virtual agency - not sure if I would use it for sensitive information though.

 

You can use it to sync your out look - thats the most personal information i keep on it - helps me keep outlook synced across about 4 computers/laptops.

  • 3 weeks later...

I'm using it to back up project files on the fly, in-case my laptop explodes from stress or something. Also, like mkgen, have it installed on my android to grab work files etc when I'm on the go.

 

In regards to security, apparently they use "the same secure methods as banks and the military to send and store your data". I wouldnt recommend chucking your bank details up in the public folder though. ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.