Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

empek

Privileged
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by empek

  1. Glad you got it working! The thing about building sites using Wordpress is that: you can create all content, pages, blog posts and more using the CMS, so form that point of view, I guess you could build a site using Wordpress. At that end of the day, you still need a Wordpress Theme to get you there in the first place. Happy Wordpress-ing!
  2. When a wp-config.php isn't present, Wordpress will help you with the setup when you visit the local URL. Have a blank database ready along with the user and password. Once you set up your database connection, the second step will let you set up the website with a title, default admin user, and password. This is not a step that looks for an existing website, it helps you describe the one you're creating. (If that's the misunderstanding) Wordpress is not a tool to build websites, it's a tool to manage them. Creating Wordpress themes still requires for you to be comfortable with HTML & CSS, and have a working knowledge of PHP. If you don't have the time to learn those, you could look into buying a theme, or finding a free one. Hope that helps.
  3. Yea, I used to get that quite a lot to be honest. At some point while browsing dribbble I realized that there is always a person that will appreciate your work no matter how bad you think it is. At that same moment I learned to appreciate my own work. Although I enforce you should build all the traits @roothost has listed, I want to emphasize patience. Be patient with your designs, and with the way you see them. Get them to a good place: the point where they do the job of communicating your message in a way that works, and let them be. This of course doesn't exclude minor tweaks. Publish that design, whether it's by sharing it with others, showing it to the client, or launching your own personal website. Label that "version one", and sleep on it for a few days. Once you collect some feedback from others, and consolidate your own ideas, you can give the design another go, just touching up, or doing a complete overhaul. Rince and repeat, and before you know it, you'll be turning around twice as much work, and getting twice the experience. Whatever you choose to do: patience is a very good asset to have. Patience with your designs, with yourself, and with others. Best of luck! EDIT: I thought I'd list a few things I wish I learned when I was starting out: - Design Hierarchy (by color, size and position) - Grid design, the golden ratio in design, the rule of thirds - Typography
  4. iOS5 does "Add to Reading List" which sounds right to me.
  5. Thanks Mike! It wasn't as hard to make it work as you'd think. Hoping to touch up the logo a bit soon so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
  6. As with any other CMS based website, your work should really shine in the backend. I think Wordpress is a good enough CMS for corporate clients, as long as you let it be: that means starting with no plugins (work the necessary code into your theme files), customized log-in screen (just swapping the logo usually does it) and changimh "wp-admin" admin URL to something along the lines of just "admin". If you change those things, most clients won't know they're using Wordpress! For those corporate clients that know the workings of Wordpress, and those who don't, Wordpress is just as professional as any paid CMS. For example when Sunny Delight aquired Bossa Nova Superfruits, they approached us to design & develop the website with the intent of it bweng Wordpress based. I hope that shows you that corporate clients aren't afraid of Wordpress websites, although they may be aware and trying to avoid its out-of-box limitations. Disclaimer: Made this reply from my iPad, please excuse spelling errors.
  7. Since your homepage is static HTML, why not just build it into Wordpress? Wouldn't make it easier not having to manage an additional static homepage? You could set a static homepage in wordpress by creating the page in Pages, and in settings > reading changing the homepage. If the homepage has a different layout than the blog, you could just create a custom template, asign it to the homepage, and do it that way. You could even go as far as pasting your static HTML into th the custom template file, for whatever reason.
  8. None of the CMS's out will come out-of-box ready to do what you're looking for, so I'd suggest using a CMS that supposts user login and user posts, and go from there. Incidentally Wordpress would be a good platform for this project since there are plugins for raking/star systems which also support highest voted widgets (boxes).
  9. Pretty unique usecase scenario you have here, and while I don't know how to go about it at the moment, I'll do some fiddling and see if I can come up with a way.
  10. Works fine on Chrome for Mac. Have you tried clearing your own browser cache? Maybe you've still got WIP development code saved in there.
  11. Wordpress sites rarely validate. Check out the validation for the default theme that comes pre-installed with Wordpress!
  12. If this site was designed for you, why don't you just log into the FTP and copy all the files? *sniff sniff* Smells a bit fishy in here.
  13. I'd challenge you guys to visit http://bossanovasuperfruits.com/ and tell me if you think it's Wordpress without looking at the source-code. Like Mike (lol, I love that movie) said, it's up to us to figure out if Wordpress needs their website needs as a CMS. I have to say that for the past year, 95% of my client projects were Wordpress, and every single one of the clients love it. That may or may not be because I develop for Wordpress as a fully fledged CMS, and not just a blogging platform. To summarize, I think Wordpress is a very viable alternative to other fully-fledged CMS's out there and first I'd recommend Wordpress, see if I can pull the possible custom functionality off, and if it's either overkill, or underkill, I look for other solutions.
  14. Your links aren't loading for me, but based on kree8tor's review I would say that designing with content in mind may influence you to come up with a design solution you otherwise might have missed. Embrace the content, and seek your inner designer peace. Namaste. (LOL)
  15. Good to see my CSS3 Shadow Line on there I agree with Anna from above, about fonts and their sizes. I'd just like to add that you could do with more color values other than the black and white. The darker you make the color, the more important it would look — that coupled with font size, and you have a great toolbox to use for laying out your content. As far as content, I'd make a separate section for the services (instead of being a tab), and same goes for your portfolio work. Although can see what the 3 widgets up top are for, I think your portfolio and services are more important that them, and so they should go above them. That's all I got for now, but I'll add more as I can think of it.
  16. This thread is pretty funny, but all negative comments and personal affairs aside, I'll actually give an honest review about the design: Positives: The layout is pretty good. The relativity in size of content buckets to each other looks good The design is all aligned to a set width Negatives: As you might have guessed by now, green and brown don't make a very good combination, and especially the shades you've chosen Try to make your margins consistent. Choose a distance that works, and stick to it. It's a subtle element, but it goes a long way. (margin is the distance between things like your content buckets: sidebar, main content) The shadows on elements inputs in the header are a bit large. Try making them a bit smaller and give them a 11% opacity white drop-shadow to sell the 'embedded' effect The gradients on your list items are too strong. Keep your gradients very subtle so they don't take away from the content that will be on them The background has too much detail, and since it has a pretty obvious patterned texture on it, it starts to blend with the content, and disorient Also as others have stated, next time you ask for a review of a website design, try to get some content on it, even if it's lorem ipsum. Hope that helps.
  17. I've meant to look into that, but I don't think they would want to pay for it. I may just remake it without the harsh drop shadows, and touch up the typography a bit. Thanks for the "love"
  18. aow, my post got no love
  19. I rarely do small business websites anymore, but here's one I'm currently working on: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1878062/MyACIS_layout-v3.1.png Shame about the logo. That's out of my hands, unfortunately.
  20. What OP is asking doen't even require divs. Please re-read the original post and see my response above. Whether you like it or not, laying out websites using tables is outdated, and instead of wasting their time laying out websites with tables, "newbies" should invest that time into learning proper HTML & CSS techniques of laying out websites.
  21. empek replied to collie's topic in General Chat
    More and more PC fanboys are converting to hackintosh rigs. I vote mac. Apple has great warranty (Apple Care), and will fix your problems on the spot. Have to say you will have it a bit easier getting the thing to the Apple Store versus my Mac Pro and both monitors (as the problem had to do with screen resolution). On top of that, since more designers use macs by default, there are much better apps for coding for the mac. If you decide you'd like Windows, you can always dualboot your Mac to have a WIndows partition which will run even better than it would on any Dell or HP.
  22. You can use position: relative; on the banner, and have position: absolute; top: -40px; left: -40px; on the logo.
  23. Here's [one of] mine. Don't mind the mess.
  24. Figured it would be something as trivial.
  25. Good call. Forgot to mention that.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.