Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SEO and dreamweaver templates

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

recently we outsourced a project to a freelance web designer. It was only a 3 page site and we're trying to give him a start.

 

When he built the site he used a Dreamweaver template which I've never bothered with. But it seemed to work so we published it.

 

But now we've noticed that although the site has been up for over a month it still hasn't been indexed by google although I've verified the site with google.

 

This is a first for me cos every other site I've done is picked up pretty quickly.

 

Any ideas?

  • Author

Basically all I'm asking is whether there is a known issue with Dreamweaver templates having a negative impact of seo?

 

Jo

I certainly don't know of any issues with Dreamweaver templates, although haven't ever used them myself. The only thing I can think of is that they have a built in robot.txt file which tells search engines not to crawl the site. Have you checked this?

  • Author

Actually, you've got a point.

 

I checked out the header of the template and I couldn't see anything that told robots not to trawl the site. But then again, I didn't see anything telling them to trawl the site.

 

So I put this in <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"/>

 

Do you think that might be it? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

<meta name="robots" content="index,follow"/> that wont help you.

 

Have never had a problem with Dreamweaver myself but just building a site will not do start to build relevant backlinks if you can and then see if it gets indexed.

  • Author

Hi,

 

I've never had a problem with Dreamweaver neither . . . until this.

 

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but what backlinks?

 

Thanks,

 

Jo

  • Author

No it only has internal links and I will make future sites more optimised with external links.

 

But, all the sites I've done up to this point didn't have external links but they all got indexed.

 

So why isn't this one working?

 

Jo

have you checked your server stats to see if any search engine bots have visited the site yet?

Edited by BlueDreamer

Hi,

 

recently we outsourced a project to a freelance web designer. It was only a 3 page site and we're trying to give him a start.

 

When he built the site he used a Dreamweaver template which I've never bothered with. But it seemed to work so we published it.

 

But now we've noticed that although the site has been up for over a month it still hasn't been indexed by google although I've verified the site with google.

 

This is a first for me cos every other site I've done is picked up pretty quickly.

 

Any ideas?

 

Register with Google webmaster tools, submit a site map and then social bookmark the site. Also, ping your site to the main rss directories.

  • Author

Hi,

 

Have got a google webmaster account. I've created a google site map (xml) for it.

 

I haven't social bookmarked any sites at all yet!!! :pardon: :pardon: But will do from now on.

 

How does this "pinging" thing work??

 

Thanks.

Hi,

 

Have got a google webmaster account. I've created a google site map (xml) for it.

 

I haven't social bookmarked any sites at all yet!!! :pardon: :pardon: But will do from now on.

 

How does this "pinging" thing work??

 

Thanks.

 

Pinging notify search, blog and web2 sites of changes and updated content.

 

Here for more info if you are interested:

 

Clicky

Hi,

 

Have got a google webmaster account. I've created a google site map (xml) for it.

 

I haven't social bookmarked any sites at all yet!!! :pardon: :pardon: But will do from now on.

 

You'll see it in the natural listings pretty quickly once you do. FYI - the Dreamweaver template is not the issue.

 

If you are still seeing nothing in 7-10days, post the URL here and I'll check it out personally for you.

  • Author

Have a look now if you like.

 

But I have to say I didn't design or build this site . . . honest. My boss outsourced it (he said trying not to sound smug!).

 

www.myspecialweddingcar.co.uk

 

Another thing about the way the guy had done the site was that every page had a name about a paragraph long. I've changed that now. Would that be treated as spam or something?

 

Thanks.

 

Another thing about the way the guy had done the site was that every page had a name about a paragraph long. I've changed that now. Would that be treated as spam or something?

 

Thanks.

 

I don't understand the question. If you are referring to the page titles, these get ignored after 60 characters and wouldn't really be marked as spam - but keep to the 60 characters for best practice.

 

Keyword density is a vital aspect to SEO - and that goes for all aspect of the site.

 

Get back to me in 7days if the site still hasn't been picked up.

 

Cheers

  • Author

Thanks for having a look.

 

I've requested google review the site again so let's see what happens.

  • Author

Thanks.

 

The validation tags happened because I've tried verifying the site twice!!! I'll remove one of them.

 

We outsourced this site (or my boss did) and I've spent just as long putting the thing right. The contact form was a complete flop and I've had to fix that.

 

Thanks for getting back to me.

  • Jo 90 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.