August 11, 200917 yr I was watching Live at the Apollo last night on Dave, when Joan Rivers came on. OMG how frickin funny! I laughed so hard my sides hurt. At first I thought "meh.... can't see her going down well in England" but she was genuinely funny. I don't know whether it was because a lot of her jokes were female orientated, but I found myself nodding at the tv a lot. I also like Jimmy Carr too..... A lot of his jokes are so wrong, but I can't help but laugh! Anyone else a fan of stand up? Who do you like/dislike?
August 11, 200917 yr Joan Rivers? My God isn't she dead yet?! Personally I find her as funny as Seinfeld (ie. as funny as the plague) - but each to their own, you feminist! For me the stand-up king at the moment is Frankie Boyle - he makes me proper belly laugh with the evil/ genius material he comes out with. No one else in these PC times seems to get close to him for full-on making jokes out of issues we all think about but dare not speak!
August 11, 200917 yr Author For me the stand-up king at the moment is Frankie Boyle - he makes me proper belly laugh with the evil/ genius material he comes out with. No one else in these PC times seems to get close to him for full-on making jokes out of issues we all think about but dare not speak! Is he the Scottish one who looks like a Proclaimer? Yeah... I have seen him a few times on mock the week (I like that show too.... reminds me a little of whose line is it anyway)
August 11, 200917 yr He is indeed - he did this gag where he said this guy said to him: "You look like one of The Proclaimers" To which he replied: "One of them? They're f**king identical twins you idiot!"
August 11, 200917 yr Author I like comics that have energy, but are real (if you know what I mean) where they use situation comedy where I think "yeah, that could be me"
August 11, 200917 yr There is a new 'gang' of quality British stand-ups who are basically on mock the week regularly. Frankie Boyle (the best), Russel Howard, Michael Mcintyre, Dara O'Briein is also quite good. Bill Bailey a bit older. I saw Harry Hill many many years ago who was brilliant. There should definitely be a saturday night live style show on terestrial to show case the talent in this country.
August 11, 200917 yr Russel Howard is on this very second - Live at the Apollo on Dave! Tune in, tune in!
August 12, 200917 yr It is all about Michael Mcintyre for me - that man is a comic genius!! For more old school people - take a look at true stand up legends like Jimmy Jones, Mike Reid, Roy "Chubby" Brown, Jethro and Bernard Manning - some true greats of comedy who were always so misunderstood as racists/sexists etc... but they were generally nice people who just told jokes of the masses of the time I love stand up comedy - Jack Dee is also sooooooo funny
August 12, 200917 yr Gotta be Frankie Boyle and Michael McIntyre for me. I've got soo much Mock the Week & Live at the Apollo recorded, just need to find time to watch it!
August 12, 200917 yr I think we all know its the king of comedy 'Ricky Gervais' who is the best, not just at comedy, writing, acting, directing but as a person in general, he's 'mazin...promise I'm not obsessed. I used to think Frankie Boyle was pretty good until I went to see Mock the Week being filmed a couple of weeks back, with him it was a case of an infinite amount of typewriters and an infinite amount of monkeys; he said so many rude and crude things that eventually it was inevitable that one of them would be funny, and therefore edited into the show...which took three hours to film! On a side note I'd really recommend Stewart Francis, I've only really noticed him recently but he's got some of the best one liners I've heard!
August 12, 200917 yr I'm a huuuuuge fan of standup! My faves are Bill Bailey, Ross Noble, Michael MacIntyre, Russell Howard, Jack Dee... The list could go on I have tons of them on DVD. There's loads of brilliant new ones on Michael MacIntyres Comedy Roadshow as well, Rhod Gilbert was utterly hilarious
August 12, 200917 yr Gotta be Frankie Boyle and Michael McIntyre for me. I've got soo much Mock the Week & Live at the Apollo recorded, just need to find time to watch it! Ditto.. I must have seen all the mock the week shows at least twice, and seen plenty of live at the apollo too. How else would I get through uni But my personal favourite is Jimmy Carr, only comic I've actually seen live, so maybe a bit bias but was soooo funny my face ached soo much from smiling after I went to see it, and he's so quick with the haggles its pretty amazing. Other favourites include Frankie Boyle, Russel Howard and Michael Mcintyre soo funny, (and Michael Mcintyre is spurs fan )
August 12, 200917 yr I love stand up comedy. My favourite by far is Jason Manford. He's on 8 out of 10 cats. I went to see him in Sheffield earlier this year and he was wicked. He's doing a tour at the min so see if he's near you because it's worth it for about £15 each! Also seen Jimmy Carr and Michael MCintyre this year and going to see Rob Brydon in September and Russell Howard in December, can't wait!
August 12, 200917 yr Author Jimmy Carr was on at the Parr hall in Warrington a while back. We said we were going to get tickets to go and watch him, but we didn't remember 'till the day of the show............gutted! Hope he comes back again as we will definitely go and see him .
August 12, 200917 yr ahh its gotta be Rhys Darby after seeing him at the fringe, and everyone everyone else has mentioned, Bladddy hate that lee evans though, grrr.
August 12, 200917 yr Author Bladddy hate that lee evans though, grrr. Me too..... used to find him funny at first, but now just think he's a nob.
August 12, 200917 yr I thought I was one of the only people who didn't like Lee Evans, but I've found some more. Someone bought me his dvd last christmas, it was that good it sent me to sleep!
August 13, 200917 yr lol awesome, we are starting an I hate Lee Evans support group! I find that no one actually thinks he is funny, they just think he they should think he is... I have watched loads of people watch him and no 1 ever laughs really. I just find he pulls faces, jumps around like an idiot, and tries to do observational humor but just fails and sounds dumb Oh is fun as well!
August 13, 200917 yr Frankie Boyle, Ed Byrne, Jo Brand or Dara O'Brain. Brilliant Stand Up's. I'm actually going to see Frankie live in May.
August 15, 200917 yr For me it's Peter Kaye (never laughed at anybody as much as him) and Jack Dee (because he's so grumpy!).
August 16, 200917 yr For me it's Peter Kaye (never laughed at anybody as much as him) and Jack Dee (because he's so grumpy!). ..yes, yes...and Al Murray, Pub Landlord and this guy
Create an account or sign in to comment