Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Film Thread

Featured Replies

Hey all,

 

I thought I would make a thread where you can post what was the last film you saw, and what you thought of it. So here is my first one:

 

Wall-e

I loves this film, the graphics were amazing, as where the characters, especially Wall-e! He is the most adorable character in a CGI movie that I have seen, and he brought a tear to my eye. The film was fun and I would recommend it to adults as well as kids.

 

Some people didn't think it was as good as previous Pixar films, but I think it was one of the best!

Last film I saw was Batman - The Dark Knight. I went in expecting a decent film but maybe a film that didn't live up to the hype and hysteria that Heath Ledgers death gave it. I was thoroughly surprised, Heath Ledger put in an amazing performance, you truly start to believe that this guy is a lunatic and he's just terrifying. The rest of the cast put in stellar performances too, although I'd have liked to see more of Morgan Freeman.

I saw Wanted ... and I can tell you i had a good laugh about it. lame movie

In the last week and a bit I have been to see both The Dark Knight and Wall-E.

 

The Dark Knight

I'm a big fan of superhero movies that have depth, I'm not at all keen on the ones that are just packed full of PG/12 action and lame jokes. I absolutely loved The Dark Knight and it's the first movie in a very long time that I've wanted to watch at the cinema a 2nd time. Heath Ledger's performance is fantastic, really quite scary and totally blows his previous performances out of the water.

I've heard people say that it was too long, and that the storyline didn't cut it. I didn't think this at all, I loved every minute of it and would have happily sat there longer. The one downer I do have is the rating, it should be 12 or 15 not 12A. I don't think it was suitable for the 6/7/8 yr old kids that were sat in the cinema with me. Maybe I'm over-sensitive but this is a very dark film with some quite horrific gore (i.e. two-face).

 

Wall-E

Amazing all round and quite possibly the best Pixar film yet. I've read some wonderful blog posts about all of the "deep 'n' meaningfuls" and some quite humourous ones regarding all the easter eggs in the film. It is a really good fun movie but with some quite hard-hitting morals behind it. I did wonder what the larger folk in the cinema thought about it! I absolutely loved the end credits, not many folk seemed to have picked up on the art transition at the end. It went from Monet/Turneresque art, through Cezanne, Van Gogh, and one at the end I couldn't name, anybody get it? Then it went to 8-bit pixel art for the remainder and it was just adorable.

 

Can't WAIT for it to come out on DVD!

Dark Knight - awesome! it has to be the best Batman film, nay! best Superhero film!

Its refreshing to have a action film with intelligent plot that didn't cop out at the end.

 

My girlfriend saw Mamma Mia the other day a and loved it - she reckons that EVEN I will like it!...... bearing in mind I hate Abba with a passion! haha!

Wall-E - Good CGI but the story was too preachy.

 

Dark Knight - Thought it was the most overrated film I have seen since the new Star Wars saga and the latest Indiana Jones.

 

Postal - A rather average film with some extremely funny non-PC parts.

 

Horton Hears A Who - Not a fan of Dr Zeus films but this was great.

 

Big Stan - American trash that is like Mean Machine without the football involved.

 

Hancock - Better than I thought it would be but no better than average, way down the list on Will Smiths films, marginally beating I am Legend.

 

Wanted - Why did they make this? The film could of ended at around 5 different points but they kept throwing new crap in to it to make it last longer.

 

Meet Dave - I actually found this to be pretty good, much better than I was expecting.

 

Stargate Continuum - Very good and follows on nicely from the Ark of Truth.

 

Doomsday - Mediocre film but worth it for the lead role and the Bentley Continental GT.

 

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanomo Bay - Very funny, probably one of the most racist films I have seen.

 

Kung Foo Panda - Very overated, found it very poor although the CGI looked good. I don't think I have seen a single film which I have liked with Jack Black taking any role in it.

Wow! thats a lotta films!

Oooh I forgot about Continuum - cos it's a TV film.

 

I thought it was pretty darn awesome actually, really enjoyed it but at the same time the films really are just a double episode which makes me pine for a whole new series. I miss Stargate SG-1 so much - best TV show of my generation.

 

I know way too much background info nowadays too which in someway adds and in others detracts. Like Chris and Michael refusing to go to the Antarctic, and the most fun SG-1 fact ever: "The USAF gave us 2 stealth bombers, so not to be beaten, the Navy crashed us a submarine through the ice".

 

It is an excellent film though, and it differs from Ark of Truth in that you could almost watch it as a stand alone, or having just watched the first film. They explain a lot of the background knowledge from the series (although I suppose you need to know the history of the 3 earth gates and the Ancient Antarctic Defense Ma-doodle and the characters might confuse you...lol).

 

Oh dear, it appears I really am a bit of an SG-1 geek lol - now I just wanna go watch it all again! *Goes and stares at her photo of her cuddle with Michael..Yum*

Wow! thats a lotta films!

There are a lot more I just can't remember them or they were over a month ago.

Have you got one of those cinema club cards?

Have you got one of those cinema club cards?

No, although I should really, would save a lot of money.

Last film I saw was Breathing Room. Although the base story line has been done before (haven't they all?) it is done in a slightly different way and with a twist at the end, really makes you think. I enjoyed the film. Apart from that, nothing new.

WALL*E.

 

I cried so much. Which is weird, because I never cry. I guess I can just really relate to how Wall*E feels. *emo*

Wall-E has to be the funniest film ive seen in a long time :)

 

I also saw the dark night a few weeks back that was fantastic everything about it was good

Hellboy 2 - 6/10 : Set and character designs were awe-inspiring. Script was good. But the humourous moments seemed a little forced. Incidental music also stuck out too much. The Barry Manilow music takes at least 2 points out of the score alone.

 

The Prestige - 8/10 : Great film about 2 rival magicians. Clever twists keep you guessing. Some dodgy accents in places though.

 

In Bruges - 9/10 : Very funny and well put together film about two hitmen hiding out in Belgium.

 

Son Of Rambow - 8/10 : Imaginative film about a boy living in a very strict religious family/community who makes his own version of Rambo with the worst behaving boy at his school. Great hand-drawn/lo-fi elements on-screen (as per the current web trend).

 

Finding Neverland - 9/10 : One of the best Scottish accents on film I think - flawless from Depp.

 

No Country For Old Men - 8/10 : Brilliant but violent - don't really think the lead actor deserved the Oscar though (all he had to do was look a bit mean).

 

Children Of Men - 9/10 : Some of the best cinematography and directed scenes i've ever seen.

 

The Kingdom - 5/10 : This had the potential to be really great but ends in one of the most ridiculous action sequences ever - watch out for that rocket-propelled grenade, darling!

 

The Dark Knight - 9/10 : A lot of fun, great acting, great feel (never really liked the gothic feel of other movies), one of the best scripts of a mainstream action film i've seen.

 

The Godfather - 9/10

  • Author

The Terminal 8/10

 

Been meaning to see this film for ages and when it was TV I finally got round to watching it. For a film set in in an Airport I thought it did a great job at keeping me interested. You really feel connected to the main character and his bunch of friends which he makes.

I've just finished watching Chocolat again which is a brilliant film (yes I'm aware that it's a chick-flick but I'll nut anyone who makes something of it!) and ranks up there in my top ten. I like films with things like plot, drama, quality acting and that really draw you in. Amelie is probably my all time favourite and I'm contemplating putting that on now. :D

I've just finished watching Chocolat again which is a brilliant film (yes I'm aware that it's a chick-flick but I'll nut anyone who makes something of it!) and ranks up there in my top ten. I like films with things like plot, drama, quality acting and that really draw you in. Amelie is probably my all time favourite and I'm contemplating putting that on now. :D

 

chick flick, chick flick, chick flick. ya big girls blouse wize.

 

on a different note haven't seen a film for years but have read about ten books including;

 

stars are stars - kevin sampson - best love story i've ever read

platform - michel houllebecq - very sexy and insightful, warning: might be a little too much for some

driving big davie - colin bateman - easy light read

faceless killers - henning mankell - passable thriller

the fire engine that disappeared (martin beck series) - Maj Sjowall, Per Wahloo - love this series of thrillers

 

and

 

PHP and MySQL: Create-modify-reuse

as suggested by our very own Roberto...but I still don't understand a word of PHP ;-((

 

:flm7:

I've just finished watching Chocolat again which is a brilliant film (yes I'm aware that it's a chick-flick but I'll nut anyone who makes something of it!) and ranks up there in my top ten. I like films with things like plot, drama, quality acting and that really draw you in. Amelie is probably my all time favourite and I'm contemplating putting that on now. :D

Wizely, old bean (you big girls blouse) :pp - the film is OK, but the novel is outstanding. notmrsbanksy bought it for me, and I took one look and thought, 'oh that looks cr@p', but as it was such a nice gesture, I read it anyway. Best novel I've read since Life of Pi, you really must read it.

 

@Headcoat - good to see you on the boards again. I too find PHP a complete mystery despite numerous attempts to get to grips with it. I think I'd make better programs using heiroglyphics!

Amelie is perfection - I just sit there with a smile on my face for the whole movie - but Chocolat is just for girls. I also like silly stuff like Mallrats + agree with the Stargate stalker when it comes to Sci-fi.

 

On the book front - Not happy about a Mankell book being described as a passable thriller, the Wallander books are wonderfully bleak - one of my favourite fictional detectives.

 

Rob

School of Rock - yes it's an oldie, but never seen it before. Spent the week after telling everyone in sight to "Rock hard!"...even my 5 year old boy who admirably gave it a good go!

School of Rock - yes it's an oldie, but never seen it before. Spent the week after telling everyone in sight to "Rock hard!"...even my 5 year old boy who admirably gave it a good go!

 

 

Jack_Black_School_of_Rock.jpg

 

 

ROCK HARD!

I also like silly stuff like Mallrats + agree with the Stargate stalker when it comes to Sci-fi.

Did I just get called a stalker? :o

Amelie is perfection - I just sit there with a smile on my face for the whole movie - but Chocolat is just for girls. I also like silly stuff like Mallrats + agree with the Stargate stalker when it comes to Sci-fi.

 

On the book front - Not happy about a Mankell book being described as a passable thriller, the Wallander books are wonderfully bleak - one of my favourite fictional detectives.

 

Rob

 

Apologies Rob, maybe it was the fact I read whilst in between Uni FMA's and therefore wasn't in the best of moods, maybe the fact that the previous book I'd read from the series though initially excellent had a very far fetched ending with Wallander practically hanging onto the underside of a plane.

 

Check out Martin Beck series, maybe as bleak, certainly as good imho.

 

The Scandanavians write some great detective stuff, without the character one dimensionality of much of the American stuff. I gotta check out some Simenon...

 

Any other recommendations from you? Not Rankin though as for some reason I just found I couldn't read anymore, bleak but also far too dour for me. Connelly - Bosch have read e'm all.

 

:flm7:

Wizely, old bean (you big girls blouse) :pp - the film is OK, but the novel is outstanding. notmrsbanksy bought it for me, and I took one look and thought, 'oh that looks cr@p', but as it was such a nice gesture, I read it anyway. Best novel I've read since Life of Pi, you really must read it.

 

@Headcoat - good to see you on the boards again. I too find PHP a complete mystery despite numerous attempts to get to grips with it. I think I'd make better programs using heiroglyphics!

 

Aiiii notbanksy I'm around and about, spend much of my spare time currently playing Rock Band and UEFA on the 360 (hence less WDF but I'm still here ;)). Anyone else played Rock Band (seeing as we mention School of Rock), the drums are awesome dude.

 

:flm7:

Last 2...

 

Jakob The Liar 4/10 --Boring

 

The Listening 2/10 --Really Boring

Any other recommendations from you? Not Rankin though as for some reason I just found I couldn't read anymore, bleak but also far too dour for me. Connelly - Bosch have read e'm all.

 

Enjoyed the Bosch + Rebus - lived in Edinburgh for a bit, so a bit partial to a bit of Rankin. Some of the books bending my book shelves are :

 

Carl Hiaasen

James Ellroy

Harlen Coben

Robert Crais

Mark Billingham

George P. Pelecanos

Kurt Vonnegut

Martin Miller

Peter Robinson

Lawrence Block

Jonathan Kellerman

 

I'm also a discworld fan, but can't admit to that in public.

 

Rob

Enjoyed the Bosch + Rebus - lived in Edinburgh for a bit, so a bit partial to a bit of Rankin. Some of the books bending my book shelves are :

 

Carl Hiaasen

James Ellroy

Harlen Coben

Robert Crais

Mark Billingham

George P. Pelecanos

Kurt Vonnegut

Martin Miller

Peter Robinson

Lawrence Block

Jonathan Kellerman

 

I'm also a discworld fan, but can't admit to that in public.

 

Rob

 

Ellroy, Coben, Billingham, Robinson read lots off but the others cheers will check them out.

Where's the Clarke, Banks, Bear, Reynolds, Simmons and Feist?

 

What about Pullman, or even (although I'm too much of a Feist fan) Tolkein?

 

I never did get the point of reading books about "normal" life, I was once a Christie fan but I got bored.

I've read a few crime, war and love books and always put it down at the end, having been enraptured for the duration, only to wonder what I got from reading it...

 

The "Tragic life stories" crap that currently fills WHSmiths and Waterstones makes me so angry, how do people find enjoyment in reading about other people's misery? Even if there's a light at the end of the tunnel...how can people compare those stories to one an other and judge one book/story/"tragic" life better or worse than the other? I don't understand the mentality - they should all be burned*.

 

If I'm going to put in the effort to read a book, I want to put it down at the end and feel I achieved something. I want a book that will make me think outside of the box, go beyond the borders of everyday life, a book that will change me.

 

The Magician was fantastic, Rama was awesome, His Dark Materials changed the way I think, Hyperion made me a whole new person.

 

I don't read very often because there aren't many books out there that can move me in the same way. So I stick to films. Short, sweet and to the point. If it's no good, I only lost 2 hours.

 

 

 

* I mean the books, not the people who read them... I think.

Aiiiii!

 

Have to admit to being a lazy reader myself, not in quantity but often quality. Hence the addiction to crime/detective thrillers...having said that some stuff is actually very well written.

 

So I tend to end up reading thrillers/detective novels, there's nothing quite like sitting outside reading at 3am on holiday with everyone else fast asleep scaring yourself half to death (due to the book) every time the wind blows through the trees.

 

It can be about escapism, as you point out you were enraptured by the book perhaps unable to put it down, well surely that's what you got out of it?

 

But good point regarding cinema a lot less time lost if no good. Still you don't have to read a book in one sitting and if no good you can try another after 30 mins...

 

:flm7:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Where's the Clarke, Banks, Bear, Reynolds, Simmons and Feist?

 

What about Pullman, or even (although I'm too much of a Feist fan) Tolkein?

 

I never did get the point of reading books about "normal" life, I was once a Christie fan but I got bored.

I've read a few crime, war and love books and always put it down at the end, having been enraptured for the duration, only to wonder what I got from reading it...

 

The "Tragic life stories" crap that currently fills WHSmiths and Waterstones makes me so angry, how do people find enjoyment in reading about other people's misery? Even if there's a light at the end of the tunnel...how can people compare those stories to one an other and judge one book/story/"tragic" life better or worse than the other? I don't understand the mentality - they should all be burned*.

 

If I'm going to put in the effort to read a book, I want to put it down at the end and feel I achieved something. I want a book that will make me think outside of the box, go beyond the borders of everyday life, a book that will change me.

 

The Magician was fantastic, Rama was awesome, His Dark Materials changed the way I think, Hyperion made me a whole new person.

 

I don't read very often because there aren't many books out there that can move me in the same way. So I stick to films. Short, sweet and to the point. If it's no good, I only lost 2 hours.

 

 

 

* I mean the books, not the people who read them... I think.

The last film I watched was "Funny Games" on DVD. It wasn't quite what we expected, lots of suspense throughout but pretty odd really, and quite disturbing!

Aiiiii!

 

Have to admit to being a lazy reader myself, not in quantity but often quality. Hence the addiction to crime/detective thrillers...having said that some stuff is actually very well written.

 

So I tend to end up reading thrillers/detective novels, there's nothing quite like sitting outside reading at 3am on holiday with everyone else fast asleep scaring yourself half to death (due to the book) every time the wind blows through the trees.

 

It can be about escapism, as you point out you were enraptured by the book perhaps unable to put it down, well surely that's what you got out of it?

 

But good point regarding cinema a lot less time lost if no good. Still you don't have to read a book in one sitting and if no good you can try another after 30 mins...

 

:flm7:

 

I guess I have other methods for when I want to escape, books I turn to for some kind of understanding. What books can do that films cannot, is really develop characters, ideas and philosophies. When I read a book, I want to become another person, gain another view of the world and add it to my collection. If when I put it down again, I'm still the same me I was when I picked it up, it wasn't a good book!

 

I am utterly addicted to sci-fi and fantasy, the future as it might be and the present as it was imagined in the past. So far I have found that these are the only settings that really allow authors to say something profound, but maybe I've just been reading the wrong books!

 

It is the same for films, although they lack the true character development, things such as Blade Runner, Fifth Element and my personal favourite V for Vendetta really do something funny to me. :huh:

 

Can't wait for Rendezvous with Rama to come out on film!

pto_OS_shadow_108.jpg

 

<Ridiculous apron />

 

As for crime drama books... I loved The Big Sleep... (and the film).

Coolest guy to wear a mask and a flowery apron, ever!

I love this: http://pleinairbunny.deviantart.com/art/V-...ndetta-31454590

 

Back on Topic:

I recently watched Hot Fuzz, I know it's a bit old, but I was never expecting it to be anything special. In fact it's absolutely hilarious... one of the best comedies I've seen in a while (the greater gooood) I really, really enjoyed it. 10/10 for entertainment value!

 

Oooh and I also only recently saw the Doom movie, that was better than I expected too, although you probably have to be a bit of a Doom or FPS fan. I loved the FPS sequence. The story line was typical of "people coming back from the dead and trying to eat you" movies, so nothing really special there... it just had novelty for what it was.

 

Finally, I watched AVP2 which compared to other alien/predator films was kinda like a teen horror movie... It was nothing on the original AVP which had a fantastic background to it, but it was cool for what it was.

If I'm going to put in the effort to read a book, I want to put it down at the end and feel I achieved something. I want a book that will make me think outside of the box, go beyond the borders of everyday life, a book that will change me.

I which case I recommend 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' by Robert Pirsig. It's not really got much zen or motorcycle maintenance in it, but I've read it 4 times now, and will probably read it 4 more. It really has changed the way I see the world on quite a fundamental level. Definitely in my top 5.

 

<ontopic>

Best film I saw recently was 'Into the Wild'. It's brilliant. 'The Darjeeling Limited' is also very good. More of a books person myself, so that's about all I've got in the way of films...

First off Mr. notbanksy... who said I hadn't read chocolat? This is a film thread! It's also what you watched last - which happened to be the aforementioned chocolat. And, for you mens' men that find that less than manly... I wasn't watching it alone and I guarantee I enjoyed what happened after the end credits more than the film itself!!!!! :D

 

Just in case anyone isn't used to me by now - that was all mock anger! ;)

 

As this thread has broadened a bit - my favourite films are quirky, beautifully shot, character-driven, with a touch of humour/sadness and are thoughtfully done - more like cinematic books than Hollywood pulp. Considering I love to travel and buy DVDs around the world - my favourites are non-Hollywood, tend to be in foreign languages and places I've spent lots of time.

 

Off the top of my head... "Amelie", "Hors du Prix", "Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger", "Tan Lejos", "Pan's Labyrinth", "The Motorcycle Diaries", "The Castle"...

 

And sis - Hot Fuzz is brilliant!

 

"Everyone and their mums in the country carries guns"

"Like who?"

"Farmers"

"And their mums"

 

 

"You want to be a big cop in a little town? Well f**k off down the model village!"

 

"You think we all sell apples"

"Your Dad does"

"And raspberries"

 

"What do you mean decaffeinated?"

 

:rofl:

Leave off Wizely, he's done nothing wrong! I'm the one who watched Amelie and enjoyed it... lets keep that one on the low low :pp.

 

I also quite enjoyed Wanted, strange as everyone here seems to have hated it. I think with those kind of films you need to watch it for what it is, mindless action with a rather lovely leading lady.

Last 3:

 

City of God 10/10 one of my favourites.

 

The Strangers 6/10 was ok, not the best.

 

Mummy 3 8/10 really enjoyed it.

Hmm

 

The last three movies I saw were The Boon Dock Saints, Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder. They were all pretty awesome. :D

 

EDIT:Oh! I almost forgot! I saw 1902's A Trip To The Moon in my film history class. That movie kicked a lot of ass.

Crusty Jugglers!

 

Nicholas Angel: Danny, this is murder.

Danny Butterman: It's not murder, it's ketchup.

Nicholas Angel: It's Frank! He's appointed himself Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Danny Butterman: [agitated and defensive] He is not Judge Judy and Executioner.

 

< Hot Fuzz />

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.