Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pamil Visions

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Pamil Visions

  1. Here are some redirects... I didn't know what you need, so I think the link is better: http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php
  2. I doubt ozzie is a designer, giba! And in this case, the layout doesn't really matter. Her site is really great, and by great I mean the content! It has a lot to do with kindness, sensibility... love. I don't need a better layout. It will probably distract me from the real values of the site.
  3. Well, Kconnerctions, actually the positioning of the content does affect the SERPs. But: each search engine is different. google values links, yahoo and msn value more keyword rich content. Yet, google doesn't like content with a keyword density higher than 3%. For yahoo your keyword density can go up to 5-7%. So... SEO it's not so simple as it seems. You cannot optimize for just one search engine. You have to think about them all! Yesterday netscape was the king... Who's using it today? And MSN is gaining more and more fans... Is google going to last forever? In the end sites with quality content have more chances than the rest. But content is not all! Let's think web standards, web accessibility and so on!
  4. Don't do this. It's bad for your "image". People hate pop-ups and you wouldn't want to drive clients away. Better create a warning, something like "Your subscription expires on the 20th of (month). It is your personal choice to renew it... bla-bla. If you decide to renew it, click here!" However, if you insist on doing that, visit this link (it's a tutorial on creating pop-up windows): http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/linking/li...famsupp_70.html
  5. Great post... well written, with pros and cons. A pleasure to read it, really Choie! You talk mostly about design and coding there... but web developers also use software to correct codes, optimize, promote etc. Should we also list those? I work with various tools, depending on what my clients need: Firstpage is my favorite. For graphics I use Adobe Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator, Corel Draw and that's it. I'll not start explaining why and how, etc... Let's just say it's a matter of habit.
  6. I don't think so. I guess pop-ups were created for this very reason: to drive customers away. Lol! Or... maybe to make you remember such a site for the rest of your life? something like: don't even go there, to "site_x.com". It's awful. And look how they make a name known. But I guess Eskymo has done a great job on that list. This should really become a featured post.
  7. Good question... Back to the encoding part: spammers are getting smarter. And they don't really need to make a lot of efforts to get email addresses. We need email addresses to communicate, so sure we use them online, sure we subscribe to newsletters, etc. And if we have business websites, it is only natural that we want our clients to contact us easily. Many clients don't like online forms. But even so... spammers will find a way to get the email addresses encoded there.
  8. Flash. That includes: sound, blinking, loading time... And the biggest turnoff: skip intro. Why on Earth do you put it there if I am supposed to skip it?
  9. That's a good point! Brand identity should be reflected by one's online presence as well. Besides creating a new look might not work if the colors used for the design "bother" or transmit the wrong message. Web design is an art and although are many so-called web designers in the world, there are only a few able to master colors.
  10. And so many times we just ignore such online stores and browse to better ones... I mean: why should we lose our time? Honestly kconnections, when reading your post title I thought you'd give us some advice on "how to", not just a suggestion that we should.
  11. Someone was mentioning in a topic a software to "hide" email addresses from spammers. Well, sadly, there's not much we can do to stop spammers from harvesting emails. You might want to take a look at this very interesting article "How Spammers Get Your Email Address" by Richard Lowe Jr. http://www.learningfountain.com/spamadrs.htm He listed a few means: Web sites - through email spiders. Guestbooks - through email spiders as well. Signing up for free stuff. Guessing - when spammers just made a good guess at your email address. Replying to spam - this shows the spammers your email address is real and they'll sell it to others. Email messages - from emails sent to a list using "cc:" instead of "bcc:". Internet listings - online white or yellow pages. Newsgroups Domain Name Registration information Mail Servers Mail Server Lists AOL Profiles - very easy to access. Message Board Profiles IRC and chat rooms By hacking into a system etc.
  12. That will be kind of useless since spammers use special software to catch hidden emails. I guess it is always a risk to place an email address online. The best policy is to have two addresses: a "safe" or "public" email and a personal one (for friends and family)
  13. Good point, Hunter! I also build a site around the pictures and graphics. However, I do stick with particular color schemes and I do try to avoid "surprising contrasts" Oh yeah... this too: http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2006/09/19/
  14. I guess that's Eskymo's point, although he or she was talking more about meta tags. It's pretty important where you place your content on your pages. The higher in the code, the better. That's the same reason why those <h1>, <h2> etc are so important. The content should flow logically on the page. To ad texts randomly is not a very smart SEO technique.
  15. I like it. For a personal website made by someone who is learning, it's OK. I hope those adsense ads bring you the revenue you wish for (and the amazon affiliate account as well) . Your photo album is nice and I just LOVE Ozzie!
  16. I also check my websites in different browsers, we all should do. However, this is not the reason for replying to this post. I found an interesting resource related to this topic I would like to share with you: http://www.thesitewizard.com/webdesign/mul...ebrowsers.shtml
  17. Could you please take a look at http://www.led-effects.com/ ? This is not my site, is a site I've designed and optimized. The main focus was on SEO and I can tell you the site is ranking well for the targeted keywords (ex: LED spots, LED stripes, multimedia facades, LED light columns, etc)
  18. Could you please take a look at http://www.led-effects.com/ ? This is not my site, is a site I've designed and optimized. The main focus was on SEO and I can tell you the site is ranking well for the targeted keywords (ex: LED spots, LED stripes, multimedia facades, LED light columns, etc)
  19. We all know content is important. But what do you mean when you say: "to layout content"? Are you talking about titles, subtitles etc?
  20. Because Google is a fully automated search engine. Submitting manually is useless. Google will find your site without your help, through links. Remember: you cannot force Google to index your website. You should submit your website to directories instead. Try the Open Directory Project and other dirrectories, related to your business. Get links back to your site and you'll be on the right path to success.
  21. Well, the best and safest way is to write it yourself. You know, for that personal touch, for originality... to make the Web a better place. But if you cannot write, yes, hire a freelancer. I do it when I don't have enough time or I have to write on topics I don't like or I am not familiar with.
  22. That's something you should never do. Big big big mistake to submit a site manually! It is true you don't need optimization for google indexing. But you do need optimization for ranking high into the SERPs! About the sitemaps, they just help google better scan your web pages, but there's more to google's sitemaps than just that! There are plenty of advantages in using google sitemaps: you'll see what queries and keywords people use to find your website, so you'll really know your audience. You'll get crawl reports and so on. Google Sitemaps is not a guarantee of high page ranks or higher rankings in the SERPs. It cannot force google to crawl your website, it just makes the crawling more effective.
  23. Well, I think Melos means he considers first the structure of the website and then he moves forward. You sort of need to know what it's in the menu to be able to create a functional website. When I desgin (sometimes I do, although my main field is SEO), I take a very careful look at the corporate identity guidelines of my clients. I do my first layouts in Photoshop.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.