Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

TruePresence

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by TruePresence

  1. Hi, I'm running in to an issue with searching a database in boolean mode. It seems that the operators I supply to the search are not effecting results. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my query or maybe the server setup? I've posted a question on Stack Overflow I thought I could just link it instead of retyping everything. (Hope that's within the forum rules, let me know if I need to edit!) Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a lot!
  2. Hi, we are working on a new client site at the moment and would love some feedback on this early mockup. Please note that this is a VERY early mockup and is not being viewed publicly so it is untested in IE6 (that will happen later). http://www.truepresence.co.uk/oneil/
  3. I wouldn't as long as it is clear that the photography site is designed by you so it doesn't look like it has been stolen, you should be fine.
  4. Sounds like a bit of nightmare. Try using FLIR its a bit like SIFR but I find it works a lot better. There is a good tutorial for implementation here http://nettuts.com/javascript-ajax/how-to-...wish-with-flir/
  5. £200 is closer $400 at the moment. I would say that it is still a little cheap but if you are only just starting out then it might be about right. Definitely get some sort of basic contract, there are plenty of templates around on the web so just have a google of it.
  6. Tables should not be used for layout, they should only be used for tabular data. For a good explanation of why tables shouldn't be used for layout check out http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/everything.html
  7. If you are looking at going in to the more graphical design side of things. Just get really really good with photoshop and illustrator. The tutorials over at http://www.psdtuts.com and http://www.nettuts.com are absolutely fantastic and would be a great place to start. Also, like Helen has mentioned, learn CSS and XHTML if you haven't already. Everyone learns differently with this sort of thing. You could go to somewhere like html dog or http://www.w3schools.com/. The way I learned xhtml/css was by downloading free templates and just playing around, understanding what different things did. Then after I had got a fairly good understanding of the code I started to read more about it to really give myself solid knowledge.
  8. I am not a fan of that to be honest. I agree with all of the comment above and I don't really get the globe. The web is big yes, but I don't think that a globe really says web design. There is no mention f the company name either, which is what you really want people to remember.
  9. Try supersleight http://24ways.org/2007/supersleight-transparent-png-in-ie6 It is a really good PNG fix
  10. It looks really nice, I like it a lot.
  11. Quite simple actually. You would just need a bit of javascript one of the javascript libraries like Jquery or mootools would make it even easier. And some blogging software. Personally I would do it with wordpress and Jquery
  12. I had actually not noticed that! it is completely unintentional and you actually cant see it if you look at it on a mac... I will fix it now, thanks EDIT: I think that fixed it
  13. Thanks for all the advice its really helpful!
  14. At the moment, the only thing stopping me from buying the D60 is the 3point focus thing. I do not really understand this too well, like I said I am a noob, but will that make it difficult to get good action shots? I will be using it for a lot of snowboarding shots and wouldn't want to buy something that cant cut it.
  15. You don't sound preachy at all. I really appreciate the advice!
  16. The reason I am inclined towards Nikon is that my friend has a D300 that he let me borrow. I know that is quite a bit different from the D60 but I loved the feel of it and also he will probably let me borrow some of his lenses.
  17. I want to start getting in to photography a bit more and need to get myself a decent camera, I know literally nothing about photography but I am a pretty quick learner. So basically I want something that will be good for starting out but wont hold me back when I get a bit better. I have been looking at the Nikon D60 which seems like it will be about right but I would appreciate all of your opinions/recommendations.
  18. Well that goes without saying doesn't it?
  19. Or a book on basic CSS techniques. Do you mind me asking what CMS you are using? Or is it one he has built himself?
  20. I have just finished my first site using goobarry (http://www.goodbarry.com) and I would definitely recommend it. Another really good one is magento which is probably my favorite ecommerce software as far as flexibility goes.
  21. Wouldn't you just use something like this to embed the video's in to your posts? <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width: 425px; height: 344px;" data="youtube url goes here"> <param value="youtube url goes here too" name="movie"/></object> If that is not what you meant then let me know
  22. another vote for wordpress here. I use it whenever I can, it really is amazing software
  23. what I normally do is use body{ text-align: center; } and then on the div that contains your content just use text-align: left; that way it will center your containing div in the page on ie and the content within that div will have the text aligned to the left Also remember to add margin: 0 auto; to your container div so that it centers in the good browsers Hope that helps, let me know if you need me to clarify
  24. I think you mean #stealing {border-bottom: 1px dotted #c00; } I definitely think there are some really good points in this thread. My site does actually use a wooden texture but i think it is done in a very subtle way and IMO is pretty original. So yea, like everyone else has mentioned I think taking inspiration from something is fine but outright copying is not. I had a member of this forum ask me yesterday if they could use the layout of my portfolio page as a base for their own portfolio. I was more than happy for them to take inspiration from my design and very much appreciated that they asked.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.