Everything posted by WebTam
-
is pagination still usefull in e-commerce?
I hate infinite scroll. I usually click on 'view 200' per page but still prefer pagination. I like to know where I am, and Infinite scroll doesn't let me. I can tolerate it on Twitter and the like, but a big no from me on ecommerce websites.
-
Best registrar for .co.uk & .com domains? - who do you use?
I get all mine through 123-reg, just because I always have really, and never had any major problems. They've been around for a while so seem trustworthy. Wouldn't use their hosting though (anymore!). ETA: Oops! Mixed up browsing and searching. Didn't realise how old this was, sorry!
-
Joomla Migration
Hmm. Is the default menu item published? If the default menu item is an Article, look in Articles and make sure it's got a green tick. Failing that... can't think of anything else, sorry!
-
'Solutions'
Haha, my old employer had 'solutions' in their company name. They don't exist any more.
-
Abusing the !important Rule...
It's almost as if they didn't want you changing the theme. But then why make it a 'custom' one? I (fortunately?) don't do much with pre-made themes but it winds me up when the css for components/plugins has !important all over it, especially when there's nothing the rule would even possibly need to override...
-
Joomla Migration
Have you got a 'default' menu item?
-
How to handle bad feedback
Love it! Shame they're not selling any more prints, I'd get a few for my work space
-
Something for photographers... any help?
Before I really got into using CMSs, I used this on a client's website: ZenPhoto She never updated it once . But I thought it was good, and easy to use IMO.
-
CMSs and the web design industry
Oops, bit late coming back to this. The same clients do come back and ask for added extras and support, but a lot of the time, seem to expect it for free! It doesn't affect me that directly because I'm just a cog in an organisation, I'm just interested really. The ongoining payments thing is an interesting one, there seems to be a lot of it around, for people who don't want to/can't invest a big lump sum into a website. I made a website recently for a friend who was initially leaning towards something called Shopify, which to be fair, looked ok. But in the end I think she was swayed by the portability/one-off cost of having a standalone ecom system. Monthly fee packages seem potentially very lucrative from a freelance point of view too, as with a business model like that, there's no way customers could blag things for free! Guaranteed income is always good too...
-
Web developer needed
What's your business?
-
eBay unveils new logo, thoughts?
The only positive thing I can say is... it's better than the London 2012 logo.
-
Company Sick Pay
I don't get sick pay. I think the only place I have ever got sick pay was on my university work placement.
-
Have CAPTCHA's got harder?
Another vote for keycaptcha here. It's a captcha, but it's also fun! I put it on a PHPBB forum and it pretty much eliminated fake accounts. The standard 'recaptcha' has definitely got harder, and it's so ugly now too, looks out of place on any website.
-
CMSs and the web design industry
I entered the web design industry quite late on (despite making websites for years before!) and something I've noticed in my limited employment in it has been the prevalence of content management systems. It makes sense from a sales point of view, as the company doesn't have to sell (and charge for) content population, and on the surface, from a customer's point of view, if they don't have to pay a web designer to update their website. But I've encountered several customers who can barely use a computer and take up hours and hours of time (and time is money) on support queries and/or, when let loose on a CMS, fill in the designer's cafefully designed spaces in bright red comic sans copied and pasted from MS word which was plagiarised from a competitor's website. Which leads me to think, content management: great in theory, but it's not for everyone. Is it pretty much de facto these days? Does anyone still pay for on-going website maintenance? There seems to be a trend now where cleints think this is a 'waste of money'. But if the client does a shoddy job of updating their website, surely that has the potential to be more detrimental to their business than the impact of paying for updates. Freelancers and people who work in web sales, do you ever suggest content writing/content population when the potential client doesn't sound like they will be up to the job? Interested in anyone elses thoughts...
-
Items displaying out of line in IE6 and IE7
IE only stylesheet, .moreinfo, .shinfo {display: none; } done! ;-) It's probably the float, yeah. Most likely fixable (/hackable). I would have a look but don't have IE installed in this machine...
-
CMS recognition website
Cheers! I've given the first link a go and it seems pretty good. The firefox addon seems familiar, that might have been the one I saw before (but didn't get round to installing it) - installing it now!
-
CMS recognition website
I hope I didn't just dream it, haha. It's not a specific website I'm investigating, just general interest really... /wp-admin should usually detect whether it's a Wordpress site anyway shouldn't it?
-
CMS recognition website
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me... A while ago I stumbled upon a link to a site that you put in the url of a website and it told you what CMS is was running on (if any) but can't find it anywhere now! Has anyone heard of this? I'm not just imagining it, am I?!
-
Internet Explorer Vs Firefox
Firefox! I've always hated IE. 'Back then' I was always a Netscape user Firefox has too many great extensions to switch to anything else. Adblock Plus, Firebug, Web Developer Toolbar etc, plus loads of little ones. Chrome or Opera would be my second choice...
-
Gaming site
+1 for 'protfolio'
-
Challenge: replicate this error.
Sorted it now, hopefully. I thought I tested in in IE7 before but checked the computer in question and it had IE8 not 7. Found this on my web travels today and was going to start a thread about it's awesomeness ipinfo . info/netrenderer/, but did a search and it's been mentioned many times. And turns out it's not that awesome, as it seems to cache the css file so is no good for re-testing after changes. Downloaded this www . my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage - and all seems to be well. ETA: for anyone who's interested the issue was a minus number on the h1 margin...
-
Challenge: replicate this error.
Yes, I think that's it. Just got back from a run and was thinking about it while running (I'm so cool) and was wondering if I had a relative font size applied to the title and a static box size and maybe the client has the text zoomed in on the browser Thanks for the screenshot too, I know what I'm dealing with now! Got an email from the client, it's IE7 indeed... Off to investigate!
-
Challenge: replicate this error.
Thanks all. I don't need a screenshot if it's fine, just if you've got the error. Excellent link TylerCollins, I'll pass it on, thanks. She says she used Firefox... but.... I'm using Firefox...
-
Challenge: replicate this error.
Client says page titles are "sliced". My tests on Firefox/Opera/IE7/IE6 and even the browser on my Nokia 5800 says they aren't. site: beggarsoflahore . com Are the titles sliced to you? If so, could you let me know your browser and resolution, and if you could, a screenshot would be great. Thanks
-
I think I'll go for an orginal title here... "hello!"
Cheers! Yeah, I can see this forum being a procrastination target!