January 16, 20188 yr Hi All, I've tried googling but can't seem to find a solution - at least a solution that I can understand! I'm not 'new' to web hosting, cpanel, wordpress but I am certainly a rookie. I'm trying to self teach myself simply as a hobby, because some close friends/family need websites developing. I am familiar with being able to use Addon Domains in cpanel to begin creating a new website for someone with a new domain. However my question is that a couple of people ALREADY have websites, so I don't want to change their domain nameservers and their current website go down for a couple of weeks while I build them a new one. Is it possible to create a subdomain, build a fresh new website, and when it is ready to go bring their domain across to access it? Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I really do require any instructions/information in layman's terms as much as possible!
January 16, 20188 yr It depends where the domains are hosted. This is how we'd do it assuming you had a package with 20i, but insert your host name instead! 1) If the domain and package is with 20i. You'd want to create a Hosting Package with a domain reference, and develop the new site on that package. When you've finished developing the new site, you remove the domain name from the old package and add it to the new one. 2) The domain name is with someone else but the Hosting Package is with 20i. You'd want to create a Hosting Package with a domain reference, and develop the new site on that package. When you've finished developing the new site you'd want to point the A record of the domain to the new package at 20i. Hope that helps.
January 16, 20188 yr 5 hours ago, Huntargh said: Is it possible to create a subdomain, build a fresh new website, and when it is ready to go bring their domain across to access it? Build the site on a subdomain on YOUR hosting. When it's ready for launch move the site across to THEIR hosting. I use a plugin called 'duplicator'. It does it all for you.
January 16, 20188 yr Author 6 hours ago, Rich C said: It depends where the domains are hosted. This is how we'd do it assuming you had a package with 20i, but insert your host name instead! 1) If the domain and package is with 20i. You'd want to create a Hosting Package with a domain reference, and develop the new site on that package. When you've finished developing the new site, you remove the domain name from the old package and add it to the new one. 2) The domain name is with someone else but the Hosting Package is with 20i. You'd want to create a Hosting Package with a domain reference, and develop the new site on that package. When you've finished developing the new site you'd want to point the A record of the domain to the new package at 20i. Hope that helps. 1 hour ago, fisicx said: Build the site on a subdomain on YOUR hosting. When it's ready for launch move the site across to THEIR hosting. I use a plugin called 'duplicator'. It does it all for you. Thank you both for your very helpful comments. By the sounds of it, what I am trying to do isn't possible without setting up a new hosting package, or asking them to set up their own hosting. I assumed it would be a relatively easy process of being able to build a website under a sub-domain and then just link their domain name to it when it is ready. I would rather not get them to set up their own hosting as this adds to cost - the idea is that I am just enjoying my hobby of design/creation whilst doing them a favour without adding cost to themselves or me by creating new host packages. Thanks again!
January 16, 20188 yr You can redirect from their domain name to your subdomain. But you need to apply a mask so the URL looks like their domain not the subdomain. The alternative is to use addon domains. But there may be restrictions with your host on how many of these you can create. I am surprised that cost is an issue. You can get decent hosting for a few pounds per month.
January 16, 20188 yr Author 1 hour ago, fisicx said: I am surprised that cost is an issue. You can get decent hosting for a few pounds per month. Thanks fisicx, I thought this would be a relatively simple thing to do, so presumed it would be at no cost to them therefore I would rather not ask them to set up their own hosting and pay monthly for the 'favour' of me creating them a website. And of course if I end up with a few different host packages on my end the cost all ads up for something that;s just a hobby! When you said I can apply a mask, this sounds like a potential solution to what I am trying to do. If it's not too long winded would you mind explaining how I can do this? Thanks again!
January 17, 20188 yr Easiest was to do this is in htaccess: Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?mydomain\.be$ [NC] RewriteRule ^ http://www.mydomain.nl%{REQUEST_URI} [L,NE,P] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/flags.html#flag_p
January 17, 20188 yr 20 hours ago, Huntargh said: However my question is that a couple of people ALREADY have websites, so I don't want to change their domain nameservers and their current website go down for a couple of weeks while I build them a new one. Is it possible to create a subdomain, build a fresh new website, and when it is ready to go bring their domain across to access it? If someone already has a website then they have hosting. You 'could' build the new site in their space so long as you're careful not to overwrite the live site, but it's risky for sure. I'd suggest getting some cheap space of your own to develop the new site in. If you setup the hosting under their domain you could either use a sub domain based on their domain as an alias, build the site and then migrate it to their live server once ready. Option 2 without a sub domain would be the same but instead of using a sub domain you could use your hosts file to view the new site in your browser when the rest of the world would get their current live site, this is safer as there is no chance of a duplicate site (e.g. both sub and main urls are being indexed). Either way you cut it you will need development space or be extremely careful in their live hosting. As many point out there's some dirt cheap hosting out there ideal for developing multi-sites, e.g. TSO has host 3 sites for £4.58 per month, just cancel the hosting when you're done. Edited January 17, 20188 yr by BrowserBugs
January 17, 20188 yr Author 6 hours ago, fisicx said: Easiest was to do this is in htaccess: Options +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews RewriteEngine On RewriteBase / RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?mydomain\.be$ [NC] RewriteRule ^ http://www.mydomain.nl%{REQUEST_URI} [L,NE,P] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/rewrite/flags.html#flag_p Thanks very much, I'll keep this handy for sure. 3 hours ago, BrowserBugs said: If someone already has a website then they have hosting. So far as I'm aware their website are simply made with 'free' web building tools that are available, where they have no involvement in the hosting side of things. Judging from the responses I have had so far, it seems the easiest way would be to setup a new hosting package using their domain (even one of these £1.99 a month for 1 website would do I suppose), build the site, then when it is done change the nameservers of their domain to the new host? So far it seems that would be the easiest thing to do, a little frustrating though as I selected a package already with unlimited web space, websites, email accounts etc!
January 17, 20188 yr 1 minute ago, Huntargh said: I selected a package already with unlimited web space, websites, email accounts etc! If that's the case just log in to your cpanel and add their domain as a new account. Still build the site on a subdomain so the client can see it then when you are ready to go live move the site and update the nameservers.
January 17, 20188 yr Author 2 hours ago, fisicx said: when you are ready to go live move the site and update the nameservers. I will give this a go, thanks again for your help fisicx, I appreciate that talking to me must be like training a pig to fly. I have looked in my cPanel and not sure where to create a completely new account with a new domain? Also when you say 'move the site' from the subdomain, would you mind explaining the process for this? Only if you have time! I wouldn't blame you for giving up on me as a lost cause!
January 18, 20188 yr I depends on how your hosting is set up. Some hosts have a feature where you add new domains in the client area. Moving the site again depends on the hosting package. You may need to use a plugin like duplicator.
January 18, 20188 yr @Huntargh what I have done is purchased a cheap address (URL) for when I am updating one of my websites. When I am happy with the changes, I just copy the files across to the live website. It is not the industry way of doing it, but it makes it easier for me to manage the changes. If I am only doing minor changes, then I will edit the live website. Make sure you copy the old website before making any changes, so if needed you can just copy those files back up to your webserver. I’m sure some will cringe at my method above, but its easy to use unless you want to invest in the hours of learning and industry standard of updating your website and tracking changes.
January 18, 20188 yr Author 3 hours ago, fisicx said: You may need to use a plugin like duplicator. 1 hour ago, GrahamUK33 said: When I am happy with the changes, I just copy the files across to the live website. Great stuff thanks guys. Your advice will help a lot!
Create an account or sign in to comment