Sign in to follow this  
dap

webm and VP8 or VP9

does anyone know if there is any difference in browser support (including mobile browsers of course) between VP8 and VP9 codecs for webm? making mp4 and webm versions of a looping background video and obviously trying to keep file size as small as possible.

been trying a few different programmes for making webm but none that get so small without looking too block, then found a plugin today for webm for premiere and the VP9 version of the codec (you can also choose to use VP8) seems pretty good at optimising, but i'm wondering about browser support

update: caniuse seems to just lump the older and newer codecs in together http://caniuse.com/#search=webm so guess both have the same support....

Edited by dap

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By edenhw
      Hi Everyone I hope you're well.

I've been trying to work out how to make a video player with a playlist for the project that I'm working on. Their doesn't seem to be many tutorials on this and was wondering if someone on here could help me out? I would like to make something similar to this https://cdn.athemes.com/wp-content/uploads/onplay-video-magazine-theme.jpg
      If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.
      Thanks!
    • By phwizard
      Greetings all,

I'm trying to build a custom front-end for a home security camera project (which I later plan to open-source and share with others if it turns out to be useful).

Project employs Raspberry Pi that only record video when movement is detected. The challenge is to overlay multiple video fragments over 24h timeline; this requires a custom video player control.

This archive uploaded to Dropbox (7 Mb) is an attempt at that, it almost works but I cannot figure out how to make rewind work properly. During the 1st video (robot playing AC/DC) you can rewind by clicking anywhere in the video. After it reaches the green circle where 2nd video starts, the rewind is broken and clicking anywhere on 1st or 2nd video in the timelime only rewinds to the beginning of the respective video.

Please disregard the ugly UI, this will be updated with professional design if we manage to fix the custom video control bit.

Will be grateful for your advice, also happy to pay for consulting here and/or display you as contributor once github repository is made public.
    • By JRP
      Hi Everyone,

I've recently been learning Meteor JS, which is you haven't tried it, is an awesome javascript framework.

However, I've been thinking into a few app ideas that I can build for both Android and IOS.

My idea is that users can upload/take a picture or video and the location will either be picked up automatically, if not they can enter it manually. This will then get added to a world map showing where people have took pictures, which other members can view. It will also get added to the latest posts timeline so people don't have to use the app.

Members can then follow other members like Instagram works and see a timeline of that members photos/videos.

In the future I then plan to add 'Events', which will allow people to tag their pictures/videos to an event, this can then be searched for and people can scroll through the event pictures.

This is just an idea at the moment and I would like your feedback on if you think it's a good idea or not. Also would you use it?

Cheers
      Jake
    • By FliP0x
      Hello,
      I am building my first website and I'm facing the following problem:
      I have a frame/border as a transparent image file and a embedded video (Screenshot).
      I want to either place the video inside the transparent area of the image or to place the image over the video. In other words, I need to overlay either the image over the video or the video over the image.

Since I have absolutely no knowledge about HTML coding, I hope that someone can assist me with this problem.
    • By 98sfsdf8
      Hi, I have a html5 page using <video> tag and running .webm files. It all works quite smoothly.

However, I would like to not run the video on mobile devices and instead replace it with the jpeg poster.

This is the setup now:

<video id="video" preload="auto" poster="video1.jpg" autoplay muted loop>
      <source src="video1.webm" type="video/webm" />
      <source src="video1.ogv" type="video/ogv" />
      <source src="video1.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
      Your browser does not support the video tag. I suggest you upgrade your browser.
      </video>

Any ideas? Thanks!