August 1, 201313 yr Hello, I have created all of the features to my freelance website all I need to do is to add the content in the work section & validation for the forms. The site is created in html,css, javascript and jquery. Could you please review my site. Thanks http://www.matthewclaffey.com/updatesite/index.html Edited August 1, 201313 yr by Matthew Claffey
August 1, 201313 yr Ah - Mr Claffey has changed his site again I like it - looks alright Not so keen on your font choice - seems a bit, dare I say, dated. Not the actual font itself, but the style reminds me of something out of War Games or a little from the Ubuntu family. Love your quote - that's been passed through my family too. Currently living that lifestyle but it still feels like work
August 1, 201313 yr Like the flatness, but agree with 4li4s on the font choice. Also, on skills page - don't put "basic", or "good". Listing your skills is enough! Would you hire a plumber who advertises their skill level as "basic"? Edit: Also, homepage is a bit...bright...on a 27" screen. A lot of red! Edited August 1, 201313 yr by andy9l
August 1, 201313 yr The site is nice, I like the transitions/effects between the pages and the colours are strong. I also love the quote. If I were to be picky (sorry) I offer the following suggestions/comments: - There's too much white space between everything, on my 1920 monitor there is a huge amount of space between your text and the edge of the screen. - I think you could look at your alignment, this might be a personal thing but things that don't align just don't look right (imo). E.g. Your logo doesn't align with your name at the bottom, your nav doesn't align with ... anything really. - I'd like to know a bit more about each of your portfolio pieces, what the project was for, why you decided to design it the way you did, what the project involved etc. - Your 'About' section seems a little bit squashed to me, I'd add some space between the elements. - Your headings are images, you could easily accomplish the typography with fonts and css. - Your nav breaks when the screen is resized, although I see you are learning responsive web design so I guess this will be fixed once you know that. - Also, I'd never hire anyone who said they were 'basic' at something, be confident in your abilities, sell yourself. I think the site has some good potential though. Edited August 1, 201313 yr by StephenOC
August 1, 201313 yr On the main page below the last paragraph, rather than saying "If you click the "My Work" button in the header it will reveal my work." simply add a flat button that says "my work". Otherwise, nicely done.
August 1, 201313 yr Author Thank you so much for having a look at my site the comments you made make sense so much its one of those things where it should naturally happen for example putting a button to m work instead of intructing them to do something "got to make it idot proof" my boss says haha anyway I shall crack on with it see if the chages do look better and I will re update you all. Thanks
August 4, 201313 yr Author CSS is my favourite programming language WTF? On your work page you should look into stopping animation loops. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6331448/how-to-stop-an-animation-loop Think you definitely need some increased line height too. Not a huge fan of the font personally. Sorry to nit pick but why are you listing things like HTML and HTML5 as separate skills. Same applies for CSS and CSS3. I mean would a client really give a crap? I'd go as far to say that expert knowledge of HTML/CSS is assumed knowledge for a web designer. I also agree with Andy on this one, you're doing yourself zero favors by saying you have "basic" knowledge of a certain topic. Avoid making statements like "Jquery was a code that I learnt in December 2012." Anyone in the whole web field knows that you're continuously learning. There are very few people who could say they've learned everything. You also have a bit of invalid HTML - linked css files need to be placed in your head tag: </head> <script src="js/jquery-1.7.2.min.js"></script> <script src="js/lightbox.js"></script> <link href="css/lightbox.css" rel="stylesheet" /> Hello, cheers for the review. I am in work on my break at the minute I will re upload the changes I have done because I have fixed lightbox links I couldnt get it to work the way I wanted it to so I made my own version of it and excuse the content i am no0t really much of a writer haha
August 4, 201313 yr Author Hi everyone, Just done the chages which you thought would make the site look better also I have changed the font from sensation to droid sans and it now looks pretty smexy what do you think does it look better? matthewclaffey.com/updatesite/index.html
August 4, 201313 yr Bigger line heights for paragraphing and H1 On the About page, you're still defining your knowledge of the things you're selling - just get rid of any adjectives Edit: Just realised your page titles and subtitles are actually images. Tut, tut! Edited August 4, 201313 yr by andy9l
August 5, 201313 yr Author Bigger line heights for paragraphing and H1 On the About page, you're still defining your knowledge of the things you're selling - just get rid of any adjectives Edit: Just realised your page titles and subtitles are actually images. Tut, tut! I was a little lazy with the image headers when I was creating the site I couldt be bothered getting round to do it but I sortd it out now and them adjectives are a little cringy when I look back reading them I just need to sort my content out for the about me page but Im not sure what to put normally Id go on and on about how I got in web design and say what I can do but trying to think of what the client wants to know from me is the hard part any ideas?
August 7, 201313 yr Im not sure if it's only me but I'm seeing 404 error on the site. The main page in particular.
August 7, 201313 yr your link in the first post throws up error, but this doesnt http://www.matthewclaffey.com/index.html
August 7, 201313 yr Author Sorry guys it is because I have changed it to www.matthewclaffey.com/index.html
Create an account or sign in to comment