Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

New to web development

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

 

I'm pretty new to this whole web development scene and have a few questions (well one main one to be honest).

 

I'd like to set up a website which will be used to display articles (of varying nature). Ive had a look at a few web hosting options and have settled on one. The only issue now is for me to choose a Linux Hosting Account or a Windows Hosting Account.

 

This is where it all falls apart for me ( :clapping: ). I have been thinking about using WordPress as my web design software and I dont know if there are compatibility issues.

 

Is there anything you guys could recommend?

 

To give you guys an idea of my competency:

I have a fair amount of knowledge of computers in general (more so than the average person)

I know a little about websites and hosts etc (but nothing really in depth)

In terms of coding etc, I know nothing... But I am more than willing to put in the time to learn etc.

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Muzaffar

Edited by muzaffar92

http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

 


To run WordPress your host just needs a couple of things:
  • PHP version 5.2.4 or greater
  • MySQL version 5.0 or greater

The requirements have changed as of WordPress 3.2. The minimum requirements for WordPress 3.1 are PHP 4.3 and MySQL 4.1.2.

That’s really it. We recommend Apache or Nginx as the most robust and featureful server for running WordPress, but any server that supports PHP and MySQL will do. That said, we can’t test every possible environment and each of the hosts on our hosting page supports the above and more with no problems.

If you are just running simple PHP software i would just stick to Linux with MySQL

Hi muzaffar, You can study well from the w3schools website. use it as your reference book. And just download and install the wampserver. Surely you will need it on the future. As the wordpress, thousand of CMS (Content Management System) can be installed and test run as you wish with the wampserver... good luck.

Hey Muzaffar, provided Wordpress can work with your hosting, I would strongly recommend using it. I say this simply because, judging by your ambition to launch a website sooner than later and the fact that you've already bought the hosting, you seem to want something easy to manage for novices, and this is what Wordpress delivers. By all means start learning to write code yourself by using online guides such as w3schools, but make that a long-term plan. :)

  • 2 weeks later...

I would recommend adobe muse if you have no coding experience at all but it is well worth learning how to code. i all ways recommend http://www.codecademy.com to help learn how to code covers HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, javascript and the such like. Also http://www.unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk is a good hosting company i use their re sellers plan which is only £11.99 and it is truly unlimited cloud hosting

As you have little coding experience, you might find developing Wordpress themes a little tricky at first and would suggest looking at HTML and CSS for starters - thats certainly a great place to start.

 

To make Wordpress themes, an understanding of PHP and possibly Javascript will be needed too. Have your tried building a simple website using HTML and CSS before? It will certainly wet your appetite if yo havent :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.