Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mastering Javascript

Featured Replies

Ok guys, so I'm looking to become a Javascript guru because I can see so many applications being built in the browser now, especially with the increasing popularity of platforms such as node.js, backbone etc

 

I'm pretty much sorted when it comes to the theory of Javascript. I can safely say I can do what I want when it comes to DOM manipulation with jQuery and I have a good understanding of objects in js.

 

What I want to get are ideas to start building something to practice. What good books, videos, resources have you come across that have helped you take the step to the next level after getting a very solid grasp of the basics?

 

I've thought that there are a few things that can come good of this, even mobile apps using PhoneGap and Titanium will come easier with a better understanding.

 

Thanks in advance. Oh and btw, if this has been done before, a link would be great to save me trawling through all the archived posts!

Ok guys, so I'm looking to become a Javascript guru because I can see so many applications being built in the browser now, especially with the increasing popularity of platforms such as node.js, backbone etc

 

I'm pretty much sorted when it comes to the theory of Javascript. I can safely say I can do what I want when it comes to DOM manipulation with jQuery and I have a good understanding of objects in js.

 

What I want to get are ideas to start building something to practice. What good books, videos, resources have you come across that have helped you take the step to the next level after getting a very solid grasp of the basics?

 

I've thought that there are a few things that can come good of this, even mobile apps using PhoneGap and Titanium will come easier with a better understanding.

 

Thanks in advance. Oh and btw, if this has been done before, a link would be great to save me trawling through all the archived posts!

 

why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days

why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days

 

I think I know enough about jQuery to figure out how to do something should the need arise. I'm looking to move into platforms like node.js and Backbone which I know you can use jQuery with, but I'd like to build up a very good grounding with Javascript which will help me pick those up better along with Phonegap and Titanium.

why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days

Downvote! Dislike!

... we need a button for that ...

 

Pure Javascript is far more versatile than jQuery, jQuery is pretty limited to the browser whereas Javascript is appearing in browsers, serves, TVs, mobile phones, Windows 8 ... there's no reason to limit yourself to a browser-based library like that.

 

Back to the question at hand, there are a few good books I can recommend (all with handy links to Amazon). Each of them generally keep away from code examples using libraries and their advice can be used on any platform.

  • Javascript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford - this is a must read generally. Crockford defines a sub-set of Javascript that stays away from the language's more esoteric or confusing elements. Having read this book (and cyber-stalked Doug through YUI theatre), I found my code less confusing to other people (including myself) and better laid out. I can read old code much better now than I could in years gone by.
  • Pro Javascript Design Patterns by Ross Harmes and Dustin Diaz - this was the book that got me thinking along object oriented lines and finally understanding that programming concept. The book goes through classic programing patterns and just knowing about those helped me code in a more logical way, opening up inheritance to me for the first time.
  • Maintainable Javascript by Nicholas C Zakas - I'm only part way through this book and already it's helped me make my code more maintainable. This has the advantage of making more sense in the future as well as maintaining large applications. This book also has some great advice about coding Javascript in a team.

I hope that helps

Edited by Skateside

That's great thanks, I'll definitely pick one to get at first, probably the Crockford book.

Plus one for vanilla Javascript and a dislike button. Jquery is great but only knowing that could become a problem at some point. I think it's good practice to be able to achieve at least some of what Jquery can do with vanilla Javascript.

Downvote! Dislike!

... we need a button for that ...

 

Pure Javascript is far more versatile than jQuery, jQuery is pretty limited to the browser whereas Javascript is appearing in browsers, serves, TVs, mobile phones, Windows 8 ... there's no reason to limit yourself to a browser-based library like that.

 

Back to the question at hand, there are a few good books I can recommend (all with handy links to Amazon). Each of them generally keep away from code examples using libraries and their advice can be used on any platform.

  • Javascript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford - this is a must read generally. Crockford defines a sub-set of Javascript that stays away from the language's more esoteric or confusing elements. Having read this book (and cyber-stalked Doug through YUI theatre), I found my code less confusing to other people (including myself) and better laid out. I can read old code much better now than I could in years gone by.
  • Pro Javascript Design Patterns by Ross Harmes and Dustin Diaz - this was the book that got me thinking along object oriented lines and finally understanding that programming concept. The book goes through classic programing patterns and just knowing about those helped me code in a more logical way, opening up inheritance to me for the first time.
  • Maintainable Javascript by Nicholas C Zakas - I'm only part way through this book and already it's helped me make my code more maintainable. This has the advantage of making more sense in the future as well as maintaining large applications. This book also has some great advice about coding Javascript in a team.

I hope that helps

I know we need a dislike button for ur comment to :)

why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days

 

Please do not do this. jQuery is an absolutely great library but nothing will beat having a very firm understanding and grasp of JS. Learn JS and everything else will fall into place. JS has been around since 95 I think, jQuery is fairly new and as with anything new some things become fads and others replaced on a regular basis by something new and better. I am not saying jQuery will become obsolete anytime soon, or if ever; it is no secret that jQuery has greatly improved upon the downfalls of JS, but it is good to keep in mind that it is important to learn the foundation of a language and build upon it from there. There is nothing saying you can't learn both together as well.

 

Regardless of what direction you take, good luck!

Please do not do this. jQuery is an absolutely great library but nothing will beat having a very firm understanding and grasp of JS. Learn JS and everything else will fall into place. JS has been around since 95 I think, jQuery is fairly new and as with anything new some things become fads and others replaced on a regular basis by something new and better. I am not saying jQuery will become obsolete anytime soon, or if ever; it is no secret that jQuery has greatly improved upon the downfalls of JS, but it is good to keep in mind that it is important to learn the foundation of a language and build upon it from there. There is nothing saying you can't learn both together as well.

 

Regardless of what direction you take, good luck!

 

u dont get it do u? Jquery is Javascript thats why its called a Javascript library and its only going to continue to grow.

u dont get it do u? Jquery is Javascript thats why its called a Javascript library and its only going to continue to grow.

We're not doubting what jQuery is, we're merely making the point that it's worth understanding the underlying language rather than mastering a library; in the same way it's worth understanding HTML rather than learning Dreamweaver, despite it's "industry standard" status.

Downvote! Dislike!

... we need a button for that ...

 

Pure Javascript is far more versatile than jQuery, jQuery is pretty limited to the browser whereas Javascript is appearing in browsers, serves, TVs, mobile phones, Windows 8 ... there's no reason to limit yourself to a browser-based library like that.

 

Back to the question at hand, there are a few good books I can recommend (all with handy links to Amazon). Each of them generally keep away from code examples using libraries and their advice can be used on any platform.

  • Javascript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford - this is a must read generally. Crockford defines a sub-set of Javascript that stays away from the language's more esoteric or confusing elements. Having read this book (and cyber-stalked Doug through YUI theatre), I found my code less confusing to other people (including myself) and better laid out. I can read old code much better now than I could in years gone by.
  • Pro Javascript Design Patterns by Ross Harmes and Dustin Diaz - this was the book that got me thinking along object oriented lines and finally understanding that programming concept. The book goes through classic programing patterns and just knowing about those helped me code in a more logical way, opening up inheritance to me for the first time.
  • Maintainable Javascript by Nicholas C Zakas - I'm only part way through this book and already it's helped me make my code more maintainable. This has the advantage of making more sense in the future as well as maintaining large applications. This book also has some great advice about coding Javascript in a team.

I hope that helps

 

PoRoU.jpg

* MASSIVE SELF FACEPLAM *

 

I question my own sanity when I read nonsense like this.

 

As said above, JQuery is Javascript, so a decent sppeciation for that is a good start. Secondly, you don;t need the ~100KB Jquery library for all websites. A smaller website for example may only have a tiny amount of Javascript where JQuery is overkill.

 

:crazy:

 

 

Personally, I think you;re pretty naive if you think you can "master" anything as big as Javascript. It isn't something you'll just read about for a bit and then suddenyl be a "guru" at.

 

You'll only get even close to those silly terms you're using (guru, master etc.) by trial/error and actually making stuff using Javascript.

 

Thanks for your input. I guess...

u dont get it do u? Jquery is Javascript thats why its called a Javascript library and its only going to continue to grow.

 

I do get it but apparently you don't. No one become a "guru" of a language without understanding its underlying components. Simply learning a library gives you an amazing foundation in that library with a little knowledge here and there. In the real world this is not practical by any means. Where as becoming a full fledged JS developer gives you the ability to work with other libraries and learn the intricacies of that language to actually APPRECIATE and understand why jQuery is so powerful and useful. Also cashing all of your chips in with the thinking that jQuery will only grow is ridiculous, who knows what will be available 3 years down the road for us to use, you have to be open minded. I love jQuery and use it regularly, every day to be exact so do not think I am hating on it, I absolutely love it; I just do not agree with your statement at all.

I do get it but apparently you don't. No one become a "guru" of a language without understanding its underlying components. Simply learning a library gives you an amazing foundation in that library with a little knowledge here and there. In the real world this is not practical by any means. Where as becoming a full fledged JS developer gives you the ability to work with other libraries and learn the intricacies of that language to actually APPRECIATE and understand why jQuery is so powerful and useful. Also cashing all of your chips in with the thinking that jQuery will only grow is ridiculous, who knows what will be available 3 years down the road for us to use, you have to be open minded. I love jQuery and use it regularly, every day to be exact so do not think I am hating on it, I absolutely love it; I just do not agree with your statement at all.

 

oh i get it but u still dont LOL

I guess everyone here who "face-palmed", "disliked or downvoted" your comment must be wrong. To each his own. Stubbornness and close mindedness are horrible traits to have as a developer.

 

Can you please tell me specifically why I do not get it and why everyone else here who has similar thoughts in this thread "doesn't get it". I would like to be enlightened, so I can learn and better expand my skill-set. I am truly not intending to be rude, I just think that before you steer someone who wants to learn a language in any particular direction that you should give more information as to why you recommend something other than: "why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days". Again sorry if I am coming across as rude, wasn't my original intention.

I guess everyone here who "face-palmed", "disliked or downvoted" your comment must be wrong. To each his own. Stubbornness and close mindedness are horrible traits to have as a developer.

 

Can you please tell me specifically why I do not get it and why everyone else here who has similar thoughts in this thread "doesn't get it". I would like to be enlightened, so I can learn and better expand my skill-set. I am truly not intending to be rude, I just think that before you steer someone who wants to learn a language in any particular direction that you should give more information as to why you recommend something other than: "why not work less at becoming a guru of pure javascript and more on becoming a guru of jquery, jquery to me is what everyone should be using now days". Again sorry if I am coming across as rude, wasn't my original intention.

 

yep they are wrong :)

yep they are wrong :)

 

I think you're completely missing the point that people are trying to make here.

OK, let's all stop feeding to troll and try to drag this convo back to it's original point.

 

Douglas Crockford's presentations on Javascript are pretty good. He goes through the history of the language and how to think correctly, as well as the advice he has in his book. The videos are pretty long (1 hour to 1 and a half hours each) but well worth watching if you have the time. The full list of topics are on YUI Blog, the first 6 videos can be found on YouTube even though there aren't any links

OK, let's all stop feeding to troll and try to drag this convo back to it's original point.

 

Douglas Crockford's presentations on Javascript are pretty good. He goes through the history of the language and how to think correctly, as well as the advice he has in his book. The videos are pretty long (1 hour to 1 and a half hours each) but well worth watching if you have the time. The full list of topics are on YUI Blog, the first 6 videos can be found on YouTube even though there aren't any links

 

What point?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.