Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Thoughts on website redesign...

Featured Replies

The cookie notification is way to intrusive and over the top.

 

Personally i'd have more happening when you hover the main menu items.

 

You've got an random smiley face sitting just outside your wrapper to the right just under the banner. This happened to me once but i can't remember for the life of me why.

I take it the footer isn;t currently finished?

  • Author

Hi Mike, thanks for the thoughts, I need to root out that smiley face you're right and I'll amend the cookie notifer to be shorter and more transparent.

 

I like the idea of some hover effects over the menu items, I'll look into this.

 

What makes you think the footer is not finished?

Hi Mike, thanks for the thoughts, I need to root out that smiley face you're right and I'll amend the cookie notifer to be shorter and more transparent.

 

I like the idea of some hover effects over the menu items, I'll look into this.

 

What makes you think the footer is not finished?

 

I think it is thanks to the footer being so stretched out and having little content on it. Maybe you can reduce the size of some elements a bit so it doesn't have that stretched out effect.

 

Readability is more than good, everything is big :p. Everything EXCEPT one of the most important sections of a site --> the menu

  • Author

Cheers Jo,

 

Ok I'll have a tinker with that footer, are you using IE by any chance?

Cheers Jo,

 

Ok I'll have a tinker with that footer, are you using IE by any chance?

 

I've tested this in IE, Chrome and firefox with different results but it always looks kinda pale and stretchy

  • Author

Okey dokey, Ta very much. I ask because I was having an issue with IE8 and font-sizes as I'd used rem. appreciate your help with this, any others welcome.

Well it's not very semantic but I once used a separated css file for IE and another one for the other browsers

  • Author

Yeah thats what i've done here to swap the css graph in the about me section and various other bits and bobs.

Yeah thats what i've done here to swap the css graph in the about me section and various other bits and bobs.

 

There is a much better solutio but unfortunately it is impossible atm xd the removal of IE :p

Not a real fan of the font used, I generally just use PTSans or Open Sans (God I love that font :D).

 

As far as the layout goes I really like it, but it's weird that the middle part doesn't have a background. I usually use a full wrapper which makes it easier to make it responsive aswell!

Yeah I dont like the footer sorry. Its far too spaced out and everything seems kinda 'lost' in the footer.

 

I would make the text on the nav more bigger (to fit with the big text on the site) and as Mike suggests have some form of hover effect.

 

Good luck :)

  • Author

Thanks for all your comments on this, I got some time to fix a few issues the other day. The smiley face was from jetpack!

I don't really like the colour scheme, reminds me of windows 3.1. Also the logo and menu seem a bit lost. It all just seems a little "washed out" for my tastes.

I like the changes to the nav and footer, but I think the nav looks too spaced and lost now. I also think the colours are a bit too plain now. I agree with kree8or, it does seem a bit plain/washed out now...

 

OItherwise, you are getting there! :)

The double sliders underneath the main sliders for me are pointless, the design one doesn't show hardly anything and doesn't link anywhere and the code one is completly pointless. As someone said above the cookie warning is massive, far too big.

the blog is too overfacing, just loads of text, you should use images with a brief description, and then use a seperate page for the full article and comments.

 

The rest of the borders on the site are 1px except for the footer, I would change that to 1px also.

 

on the about me page, I would use an image for the "pie chart" as it doesn't look to crisp.

 

...thats just my opinion

 

Edit. Get a favicon on there :D

Edited by JoshUK

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.