Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

web developer test

Featured Replies

Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I could test out the potential of a potential web developer who has no skills, is there a test to see if their brain is up to the challenge?

Do they not have a portfolio?

 

You could send out a test for them to do, like a quick page mock up or HTML/CSS page with a time limit but frankly if i was asked to do this i'd throw it back in your face haha.

Do they not have a portfolio?

 

You could send out a test for them to do, like a quick page mock up or HTML/CSS page with a time limit but frankly if i was asked to do this i'd throw it back in your face haha.

 

I think he means the potential of some who is not a developer, to become one.

 

Don't know of any test for this sort of thing, maybe some logic based tests. Otherwise I would present some sort of problem and see how he/she breaks it down and would plan to tackle it. Or ask them how they would plan to proceed if you did ask them to put together a small website or page, how would they start, what would be their plan of action and steps they might take.

I think he means the potential of some who is not a developer, to become one.

 

 

Ooo righty o.

 

In that case i reckon it's just about getting them in for a face to face meeting and trying to gauge their worth from their enthusiasm and intelligence. I wouldn't think there's a hard or fast method for testing otherwise everyone would be using it and no 'wasters' would ever get hired. :p

 

 

There's a classic post on The Daily WTF about Job Interview 2.0, with riddle questions. It makes the point that yes, there are some people who could take on a question like "how would you find the weight of a 747" (apparently a Microsoft fave) and come up with some ingenious solution regarding parking bits of it on a weighbridge or sealing it, floating it and measuring water displacement but are those really the sort of people you want developing your software? Hiring those sorts of people leads to a product like Windows.

 

I'd be far more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd phone Boeing."

There's a classic post on The Daily WTF about Job Interview 2.0, with riddle questions. It makes the point that yes, there are some people who could take on a question like "how would you find the weight of a 747" (apparently a Microsoft fave) and come up with some ingenious solution regarding parking bits of it on a weighbridge or sealing it, floating it and measuring water displacement but are those really the sort of people you want developing your software? Hiring those sorts of people leads to a product like Windows.

 

I'd be far more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd phone Boeing."

 

Very true ;)

 

Maybe the test could be in the form of a logical test like, what does PHP stand for. What PHP syntax would you use to calculate the cost of something such as a tax on top of a product cost etc.

 

I've never really thought about this topic before, mmmm

Very true ;)

 

Maybe the test could be in the form of a logical test like, what does PHP stand for. What PHP syntax would you use to calculate the cost of something such as a tax on top of a product cost etc.

 

I've never really thought about this topic before, mmmm

 

Yeah i guess creating logical questions that gear toward the area of developing but using real world examples would be a good idea.

 

 

 

I've only ever seen junior website developer positions advertised that at least ask for some precursory knowledge of programming, usually a year of experience plus!

 

I guess your going to want this individual to at least have a grasp of HTML, CSS and the ability to use JQuery plugins, because otherwise your looking to take on more of an apprentice than a junior website developer.

 

It would probably be good to ask them if they have had to study towards learning any new concepts or processess recently and why (doesn't have to be web related). This is to ascertain whether they are likely to stick to learning website development technologies or are the sort of person to "give up" half way through.

 

A reasonable grasp of mathematics (a decent grade at GCSE, for example) and a reasonable grasp of the english language would no doubt be beneficial too, though whether considered "essential" is debatable.

 

Other than that, I can't add any more than has already been discussed... Your probably going to want to find some who is a fairly logical thinker.

 

Kyle

 

I'd be far more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd phone Boeing."

 

I'd be more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd just google it."

 

:D

I'd be more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd just google it."

 

:D

 

"I'd just google it." - my first thought :).

Think outside the box!..

 

Why do you want to know the weight? Is it relevent? :D

There's a classic post on The Daily WTF about Job Interview 2.0, with riddle questions. It makes the point that yes, there are some people who could take on a question like "how would you find the weight of a 747" (apparently a Microsoft fave) and come up with some ingenious solution regarding parking bits of it on a weighbridge or sealing it, floating it and measuring water displacement but are those really the sort of people you want developing your software? Hiring those sorts of people leads to a product like Windows.

 

I'd be far more inclined to hire the bloke who says "I'd phone Boeing."

A little off topic but thought I'd just point out that if you sealed the Boeing and measured the liquid displacement you'd only be measuring it's volume :-P.

Hiring those sorts of people leads to a product like Windows.

LMFAO - that's the best thing I've read on this forum for many a year!

Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to how I could test out the potential of a potential web developer who has no skills, is there a test to see if their brain is up to the challenge?

 

Few years ago, I went for an interview for the position of Web Programmer.

What they do was, they give me 1 week to develop a small system "library book management system" and later on present the final product to them.

 

In that system, they requested me to include the basic CRUD (Create, Read, Update, Delete) and they want to see my logic design.

 

I did all that. Unfortunately stucked on the salary issue :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.