January 11, 201115 yr Hey guys, I've just joined the forums and had a quick scan over the topics. Most people on here seem to be experts or at least know a bit about web design. Me on the otherhand? A complete novice. Seems like a different language to me. After researching online for a while I decided to buy the latest version of dreamweaver (not cheap to be fair) but I'm starting to realise that its not going to be straight forward. Anyone got some sound advice for a complete beginner? Initially I just want to learn how to use the program so I'm not too bothered about publishing my website, not yet anyway. I'd appreciate any tips. Cheers!
January 11, 201115 yr First of all chek up the tutorial post on this forum section. Second, you might want to get photoshop or illustrator later on for creating images if you are going to create layouts. Third, visited www.w3schools.com they got nice clean section placed tutorials for you to learn. From html all the way to MySql I don´t advice to buy dreamweaver cause it just cost to much money when you are getting skilled in the coding you can do it all just by using a note pad. I suggeset you first to learn html then css and a bit of javascript. Don´t worrie the language will be readable in times.
January 11, 201115 yr as Kensha says, don't bother with Dreamweaver just yet. Learn from somewhere like w3schools what you need to do first and how it hangs together. Download the trial for Dreamweaver if you must or look at Microsoft's Expression Web. Cheaper too.
January 12, 201115 yr Yeah basically im just reitterating what the other guys have said, You dont really need dreamweaver to create websites, as you can do it all in notepad. And you deffinatly dont need to buy it when you can get about almost any programme through torrents. But im not advising that ... Anyway, just learn the HTML, CSS through www.W3schools.com and you are well on your way to creating one. Im currently in the middle of one for my american football team, and ive managed to do it within a day of going through one of the most simplist course books at my local college on HTML. The rest i have just learned myself, from doing research and what not online. Google gives you the most answers, and tbh, having created free hosted websites previously using a visual programme (dreamweaver, front page, sharepoint etc) I much prefer HTML code, as i feel its more adaptable, and editable. Just my honest opinion. From one novice to another Oh and if you ever need any help dont hesitate to ask. What your looking to do, as a novice, i probably have already done. (ill tell you, there is a hell of alot of stuff you dont even know you can do yet lol) and if i cant help, ill be sure to find you someone, or somewhere that can Edited January 12, 201115 yr by Beer Huntor
January 12, 201115 yr I have little new to add that others haven't already said but i will anyway Yes if you are just starting then you'll probably find Dreamweaver is over kill. I basically use Dreamweaver as a way to manage productivity and work flow, keeping all my work in one environment with quick access to all files and notes. Also for use for the code tips and auto complete, i am perfectly able to code in notepad but why use a horse when you have a car eh? So as everyone has said learn to code before investing in productivity software. Crack open Notepad and download 'Gimp' for graphics and you're good to go! That's what i did at first anyway
January 12, 201115 yr I agree with almost everyone so far that you should learn to code before using Dreamweaver. Simply because you don't want to become dependant on a bit of software to create your site for you, especially if you plan to work within a design company, as they might not use it. If you don't want to use notepad, you could download notepad++ (it's free) as it has syntax highlighting so will make it wasier to scan the code you create and find different elements: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
January 12, 201115 yr Hi, This forum will provide professional based knowledge. Furthermore, you should also visit w3cshool, if you are beginner.
January 12, 201115 yr I am in the same boat, being new to it all. I must agree with w3c schools as being very good and easy to use. Start from the beginning and work your way through, the coding is surprisingly simple to get the hang of. Once you do each section, they have quizzes to test yourself - these are handy as they do point out anything that you may be weak on. I also suggest going back and retesting whilst you are doing other coding, as I noticed that when learning other codes, I was forgetting what I had previously learnt on some aspects, so good to have a re-cap! Good luck!
January 12, 201115 yr I'm just going to reiterate whats already been said; grab yourself a free copy of Notepad++, a good book on HTML and CSS (I used 'head first HTML & CSS'), have the W3C website open in your browser and start coding! Once you have developed some intermediate skills in HTML and CSS (enough to knock together a simple website via Notepad++), open up Dreamweaver and give it a go. Who knows, you may end up preferring to stick with the hand coding route Kyle
January 13, 201115 yr yeah, notepad ++ is the best programme to hand code in becasue of forementioned syntax highlighting, makes things much easier, and its free source too
January 13, 201115 yr I use the codeing panel in Dreamweaver. I would recommend that if you are new to web design that you learn to code CSS and HTML in notepad. When you know that then move to Dreamweaver.
January 13, 201115 yr Here is a really good youtube channel for beginners teaching the fundamentals about creating websites and also has new HTML5 and CSS3 tutorials as well. All done using dreamweaver. http://www.youtube.com/user/createthenet
January 13, 201115 yr Watch "Dreamweaver CS5 Essential Training" on Lynda.com as well as "Web Design Fundamentals" on the same site (and don't forget to do the exercise files as well). It will teach you a lot about how the web functions, the role of web design and how to use Dreamweaver without relying on the WYSIWYG aspect to much. And, as others have stated - W3C schools. Good luck, I am sure all will go well.
Create an account or sign in to comment