Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Web Designer Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Web Developer

Featured Replies

Since I'm not really good with Photoshop and haven't got a very good imagination for these sorts of things, so I'm not really gonna be concentratin on the design part.

 

I want to start with web development. Now, I'm currently getting the hang of HTML / CSS nicely, and I'm soon going to be looking for the next language to start learning. What would you guys advise me to learn next? PHP?

 

Thanks,

Rja.

JQuery all the way it's said to be the solution to many of webs requirements.

Rja, i going wid PHP ... its easy nice and robust ! i fink u must do PHP then ASP then move to other lanugages.

@ione as far as I'm aware developers usually go with asp or php not both

 

@Rja I'd go for XHTML, CSS, PHP, JQuery then start understanding Content Management systems, how they work, what they are for and all that, I'm a self-taught developer and designer but employed as a developer and on a brilliant wage, I left school with 1 GCSE (B in drama!) so anythings possible lol.

Learn Xhtml, CSS, simple Javascript and then Jquery.

 

 

These will be applicable to anything you go onto learn such as asp or php.

I would say that after you get to grips with xhtml/css, then you should start on PHP, learn Javascript and JQuery as a side project. It is quite easy to get on board with to be honest :)

 

p.s. @ Ione - no text speak please, thanks :)

  • Author

Thanks guys. I'm going to brush up on my HTML / CSS for this weekend and next week, then I am going to start Javascript and JQuery next weekend, then after next weekend start learning mainly PHP but continuing with Javascript and JQuery as a side project, as you suggested.

 

Hopefully in a few months I'll have the hang of things, and will meet my aim of Janaury 2011 of becoming freelance.

If you've done any programming Rja, you'll pick up PHP very quickly. It's a great syntax and a very natural language.

 

Do try to learn from good, high quality tutorials/books or you'll have a hard time cutting down code by using much more efficient methods etc. ... I was (and still am slightly) at a stage where I knew the basics so used a LOT of the basics to accomplish a complex task - I recently learned I could've probably halved the length of the code I wrote a year ago or so! <_<

JQuery and AJAX are both just types/parts of Javascript.

 

I'd certainly get your head around Javascript itself before launching into a framework (JQuery) or just AJAX.

 

If you want to be a developer what do you want to focus on? Front or back end?

 

If you have HTML + CSS under your belt then your half way with the front end. If you want to be come front-end focused concentrate on Javascript & look at a little basic PHP as a sideproject.

 

If you want to get into backend development then go for PHP and MySQL & look at Javascript as a side project.

If you've done any programming Rja, you'll pick up PHP very quickly. It's a great syntax and a very natural language.

Do you really think so? Compared to the small amounts of programming I've done prior to learning PHP I find it a pain in the arse to be honest. Not natural at all. Having said that, it's not so complicated that you can't pick it up quite quickly with a bit of determination :)

Do you really think so? Compared to the small amounts of programming I've done prior to learning PHP I find it a pain in the arse to be honest. Not natural at all. Having said that, it's not so complicated that you can't pick it up quite quickly with a bit of determination :)

 

Perhaps it was just my high interest in web design & development which drove my quick learning. But as I said, I didn't learn PHP in it's most efficient form ;)

  • Author

What's the difference between front-end and back-end?

My teacher teaching me XTHML/CSS Javascript and PHP ... Javascript also help me in getting PRO in ActionScript !

What's the difference between front-end and back-end?

 

Front-end is the bit of the website that the user sees - the user interface and interactions.

 

Back-end is the bit of the website that the user doesn't see - the database and the processing.

  • Author

Front-end is the bit of the website that the user sees - the user interface and interactions.

 

Back-end is the bit of the website that the user doesn't see - the database and the processing.

 

Ok thank you. I think I'll be focusing on back-end. I'm not too good at the designing aspect. I guess you need to know HTML / CSS either way really, right? :)

 

I think I'll concentrate on PHP over the next few month.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.